PDA

View Full Version : The "Whoo! I just got new gear!" thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

Bensch
14-11-2019, 3:48pm
New (to me) gear day, always exciting :D

Picked up a Canon EOS 1000FN (35mm film) SLR with a 75-300 lens.

Also grabbed some Kodak UltraMax 400 35mm film yesterday, and looking forward to giving it a shot :th3:

Any other film people around the site?

Cage
14-11-2019, 6:32pm
New (to me) gear day, always exciting :D

Picked up a Canon EOS 1000FN (35mm film) SLR with a 75-300 lens.

Also grabbed some Kodak UltraMax 400 35mm film yesterday, and looking forward to giving it a shot :th3:

Any other film people around the site?

I have about 8 Canon 'A' series bodies and a heap of FD lens that I am going to test and move on.

Gazza
12-12-2019, 7:14am
'Whoo!' Andy (AKA Bensch) sent me a Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 II prime which didn't work on his 35mm. His loss, my win :grinning01:

Haven't had a lot of time for a serious play, but a few test images look marvellous.

He suggested my Grandson would like it. What he doesn't know won't hurt him :grinning01:

A very big THANK YOU, Andy. Truly appreciated

Bensch
12-12-2019, 10:37am
'Whoo!' Andy (AKA Bensch) sent me a Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 II prime which didn't work on his 35mm. His loss, my win :grinning01:

Haven't had a lot of time for a serious play, but a few test images look marvellous.

He suggested my Grandson would like it. What he doesn't know won't hurt him :grinning01:

More than welcome Gazza :th3:

Looking forward to seeing some test shots when time permits, the II is supposed to be a huge upgrade from the I.

Burma
12-12-2019, 3:47pm
I just picked up a couple of Olympus primes for $250 - 25mm 1.8 and 45mm 1.8. I really didn’t need them because i have the 12-40 but i can’t go past a bargain. They weigh nothing and are pocketable - excellent on my em5ii when I don’t want to carry the 12-40. I love ‘em.

- - - Updated - - -

My shots are always overexposed because I take too long to insert them in the card reader. My most recent lens wasn't shown in that photo so here it is...

Zoom-Nikkor 28-45mm f/4.5, the world's first wide angle zoom. I had one in 1977 and it was nicked. This one cost a fraction of the one I purchased in 1977. The lens is very usable on a dSLR and while relatively heavy, still quite compact. It's funny that when I hand one of the old school Nikon manual focus lenses to someone, they marvel at how wonderful the zoom and focus rings feel. Beautifully dampened and smooth as butter.
I always wanted one of those for my FE 2 but could never afford one. I think I ended up with a sigma short zoom.

Cage
12-12-2019, 9:20pm
Got the new lens for my right eye on Tuesday. A perfect match for the other one. YeeHaaaa :efelant: :animal3: :party7: :jumping11:

Thank you Santa :christmasparty:

Great to finally have excellent vision again and see what's in the viewfinder, and what I'm actually focusing on.

Geoff79
13-12-2019, 12:29am

Always been interested in those lenses - be keen to see what you think.

I only really visit this thread with input every decade or so, but I did actually acquire a new (second hand) lens on Tuesday. The lens, as per Tony's helpful advice, is the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens.

I took the kids and pups down to the local oval this afternoon and gave it a good workout. Haven't uploaded anything onto the PC yet, and photos always look okay on the back of the camera, so I won't get too ahead of myself, but it seemed pretty cool.

Full disclosure, it was weird and tricky to get immediately used to it. In my entire photographic life, I've only ever had the 18-200/250mm lenses, my 10-20mm wide angle, and very recently, the 100mm Macro lens, which I have so far only used exclusively for macro work. So I've never had a lens that "starts" at 55mm, and it was tricky to get used to. Missed a few frames because I am so used to being closer to subjects, and it really took a while to get used to the - hope I got the term right - focus distance? The bit where I had to be about 3 and 1/2 foot, or 1m away from my subject. This was weird for me, as I love to be right on top of my subject a lot of the times when I shoot. So this was fresh.

Anyway, it will definitely take a while to get used to this, but it seems like a cool lens. On the back of the camera, the pics looked great and it seems like a nice fast lens.

Now I just need someone to recommend me a very cost effective but awesome lens in the (approx) 18-55mm range. :) I will accept recommendations immediately. ;)

peterb666
16-12-2019, 7:13pm
The Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 that I purchased last month on eBay finally arrived today.

How is it working out? I sold mine recently with an OM-D E-M5. I think it was a most under-rated lens. I found it quite sharp and it was great for close ups with it's very good macro function.

Bensch
17-12-2019, 12:59am
How is it working out? I sold mine recently with an OM-D E-M5. I think it was a most under-rated lens. I found it quite sharp and it was great for close ups with it's very good macro function.

It is going quite well, I haven't had a great deal of time to take photos with it recently, but the ones that I have are nice and sharp :th3:

Ty13
25-12-2019, 9:58pm
I have new Gear.....

Today I bought myself a brand new Nikon D7500

And currently waiting on our fantastic postal service (only just a few days late...:action:) to deliver my new (secondhand) Tamron SP AF 90mm macro

Pics coming soon

Bensch
26-12-2019, 12:47am
Father Christmas was quite good to me this year :santa:

Canon EOS 700D
Canon EOS 33
5 rolls Portra 400
5 rolls Ilford FP4 Plus (B&W)
5 rolls Kentmere Pan 100 (B&W)
Paterson universal developing tank and other darkroom supplies

Glenda
26-12-2019, 6:34am
Well Ty must have made the nice list but gee Andy I think you made the naughty list for Santa to bring a Nikon and Olympus shooter Canon gear :D

Bensch
26-12-2019, 7:31am
Well Ty must have made the nice list but gee Andy I think you made the naughty list for Santa to bring a Nikon and Olympus shooter Canon gear :D

Yep, Father Christmas certainly has a warped sense of humour :lol:

As for the naughty list, well, I must definitely have been on it, but it was worth it :D

Nick Cliff
26-12-2019, 1:53pm
Santa has been kind delivering an old Fujinon 55mm f/2.2 lens with very interesting bokeh not sharps (more a specialty bokeh lens) and a Fujinon 135mm f/3.5 lens with amazing sharps and oof areas to have some fun with and can post some photos later,

cheers Nick

Nick Cliff
26-12-2019, 2:59pm
Bensch looking at some of my old film photos am actually surprised how good film is if you get the exposures right and am very tempted to try film again.
Could use the digital cameras as exposure meters:)

Cheers Nick

Mary Anne
26-12-2019, 6:24pm
Sounds like you are going to have lots of interesting times there Andy :nod:

Bensch
26-12-2019, 11:19pm
Bensch looking at some of my old film photos am actually surprised how good film is if you get the exposures right and am very tempted to try film again.
Could use the digital cameras as exposure meters:)

Cheers Nick

For sure, the quality of some of the film photos I've seen are just amazing, if it wasn't marked as a film photo, I'd never have known.

Give it a try, it's well worth doing :th3:

I've only put a few rolls of film through since starting shooting film again, but it is a great experience, makes one be so much more intentional and focused when shooting, as you never quite know what you're going to get compared to the instant results that digital gives.

Thankfully, my SLRs (2 x Canon EOS 1000FN and the new (to me) EOS 33) are all modern style SLRs, in that they have evaluative/spot metering and semi-auto modes like Aperture Priority, etc.

Sounds like you are going to have lots of interesting times there Andy :nod:

Thanks Mary Anne, it is certainly going to be interesting....

Wasn't too bad until I found a monobath developer for B&W film, just one chemical required... pretty close to idiot-proof apparently (I shall see if it truly is, if I can do it, it must be....)

Nick Cliff
27-12-2019, 9:20am
Andy interesting to know that B&W film developing technology has evolved to monobath technology if it can be used for most B&W films that should certainly make life a lot simpler.
Bought a more modern and now very affordable 1990's Nikon F90x film camera for $30 (new price $850- $1000) that uses standard AA batteries and the modern Nikon lenses that is light years ahead of the older Spotmatic 2 technology M42 mount for $90 purchased with two lenses 5 years ago.
The Spotmatic 2 camera was purchased off a professional photographer in Brisbane and we discussed photo sharpness that camera companies understandably like to promote and that is fine.
This Professional photographer brought out a B&W photo taken in France as an example of how to use the Spotmatic in low light.
The photo had an ethereal feel taken from a low viewpoint from behind a young girl intently watching a blacksmith making a horseshoe on an anvil above her with shafts of light combined with smoke rising from the coals, a B&W film composition masterclass, Spotmatic camera sold:)

Cheers Nick

Bensch
27-12-2019, 10:58am
Andy interesting to know that B&W film developing technology has evolved to monobath technology if it can be used for most B&W films that should certainly make life a lot simpler.
Bought a more modern and now very affordable 1990's Nikon F90x film camera for $30 (new price $850- $1000) that uses standard AA batteries and the modern Nikon lenses that is light years ahead of the older Spotmatic 2 technology M42 mount for $90 purchased with two lenses 5 years ago.
The Spotmatic 2 camera was purchased off a professional photographer in Brisbane and we discussed photo sharpness that camera companies understandably like to promote and that is fine.
This Professional photographer brought out a B&W photo taken in France as an example of how to use the Spotmatic in low light.
The photo had an ethereal feel taken from a low viewpoint from behind a young girl intently watching a blacksmith making a horseshoe on an anvil above her with shafts of light combined with smoke rising from the coals, a B&W film composition masterclass, Spotmatic camera sold:)

Cheers Nick

Yes, it will be quite interesting to see how the monobath performs across a range of B&W film. I'm still waiting to receive it but will be sure to post results when I've attempted to use it.

Sounds like the F90x is one to keep an eye out for, I do have a couple of full frame lenses for my Nikon gear (the rest are for APS-C) so would be worth trying.

That does sound like a stunning photo for sure :th3:

Ty13
30-12-2019, 4:23pm
Bad news for me regarding the Tamron 90mm macro.

It appears our postal service has "lost" the lens.. they have admitted fault. So now I wait for compensation.

Gazza
30-12-2019, 4:28pm
'Whoo!' Andy (AKA @Bensch (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/member.php?u=23899)) sent me a Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 II prime which didn't work on his 35mm. His loss, my win :grinning01:

Father Christmas was quite good to me this year :santa:

Canon EOS 700D
Canon EOS 33
5 rolls Portra 400
5 rolls Ilford FP4 Plus (B&W)
5 rolls Kentmere Pan 100 (B&W)
Paterson universal developing tank and other darkroom supplies

Better post that lens back to ya now there's a Canon in your stable

Bensch
31-12-2019, 1:51am
Better post that lens back to ya now there's a Canon in your stable

Thanks for the offer Gazza, but no need, The EOS 700D came with a Canon-branded nifty fifty :th3:

Cage
01-01-2020, 11:54am
Took a trip to Liverpool in west Sydney on new years eve to pick up my new (to me) Sigma 180mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro.

Holy snapping duck dooey Robin, it was as hot as hell, well around 45°C anyway, and a nice northerly to make sure there was no relief in the shade either. My thoughts were with the brave folk fighting bushfires, some not all that far away.

My main intended use for the lens is as a short telephoto for astrophotography, and with my Sigma APO 1.4 EX T/C attached it gives me an effective 252mm, ideal for nebula.

The Vietnamese guy I bought it from was an affectionado, and the lens had obviously been treated with care and respect, with no real signs of use.

My D600 should have it's H-Alpha mod done and be back from the US in the next week or so. Looking forward to taking some shots with it and the 180.

Mary Anne
01-01-2020, 2:13pm
Bad news for me regarding the Tamron 90mm macro.

It appears our postal service has "lost" the lens.. they have admitted fault. So now I wait for compensation.

Sorry to read that.

Ty13
03-01-2020, 12:07pm
Sorry to read that.

Well.. since that last post guess what.

I get a notification that my parcel is on its way?????? and after a few days I now am the proud owner of the Tamron 90mm macro

Stress I did not need thanks aus post

Bensch
13-01-2020, 5:23pm
Think I may have caught the film bug.....

The latest one to arrive :o

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49377820312_a5e144952c_o.jpg

Mary Anne
13-01-2020, 5:44pm

I think You could be right there Andy :D

Bensch
13-01-2020, 7:54pm
I think You could be right there Andy :D

Yeah, time to either purchase a bigger photography cupboard, or stop buying camera gear.....

peterb666
20-01-2020, 3:49am

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49377820312_a5e144952c_o.jpg

I think I could handle that.

- - - Updated - - -

My latest second-hand toy is a Nikon 24-120mm f/4. Quite a useful lens and very impressed by but I wasn't expecting this...

For a modern lens wasn't expecting so much flare - guess I have to too use to using primes. I like the result.

Nikon D800 and Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 with the aperture set to f/11. Two shots at 24mm and stitched together - probably giving an equivalent field of view of around 18 to 20mm.

That's the port of Eden. The smoke has cleared for the time being and it was one of those sort of warm but autumn days in summer typical of a normal summer. Feels pretty much back to normal after the fires.

ameerat42
20-01-2020, 5:23am
...Nikon 24-120mm f/4...

For a modern lens wasn't expecting so much flare - guess I have to too use to using primes. I like the result...

It looks OK in that shot, but it might become a nuisance. Did it come with its lens-hood?

Jorge Arguello
20-01-2020, 9:16am
Sometimes I can minimize the flare changing slightly the centre of the image, not ideal after you found the composition.
I hope you enjoy your new lens.

Nick Cliff
20-01-2020, 9:47am
Ty had a similar experience when swapping legacy lenses with a friend in Victoria my lens arrived in days at his place and his parcel arrived in a few weeks time.
Do recall you had to tick a box to declare the item was not dangerous re parcels and air freight and personally did tick the item is safe box and do not believe he was aware of this little item on the form and he was very annoyed to say the least.

peterb666
26-01-2020, 11:58pm
It looks OK in that shot, but it might become a nuisance. Did it come with its lens-hood?

Yes, had lens hood on. Shooting with such a strong light in the corner of the frame didn't help plus I had an old coated 77mm filter on it that has seen better days. Normally the lens seems quite well behaved and much sharper than I expected. VR works well too. The Nikon 24-120mm f/4 is a good buy second-hand and quite sharp wide open. Certainly sharp enough at 85mm too which is supposed to be its Achilles heel.

That photo was also used (with permission) by the local paper to head their letters to the editor page. I haven't seen it.

Bensch
30-01-2020, 5:23pm
New (to me) lens day!

Picked it up online from camera store that stocks second-hand gear and saved a few $$ compared to the new price.

Looks absolutely flawless, and except for a few marks on the packaging, you'd think it was brand new :th3:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49462428908_efa08d1200_k.jpg

Mary Anne
31-01-2020, 12:01am
New (to me) lens day!

Picked it up online from camera store that stocks second-hand gear and saved a few $$ compared to the new price.

Looks absolutely flawless, and except for a few marks on the packaging, you'd think it was brand new :th3:

Well Done on getting a Bargain Andy.. It's a great Lens you will enjoy it.. Happy Shooting :2encou:

Bensch
31-01-2020, 8:49am
Well Done on getting a Bargain Andy.. It's a great Lens you will enjoy it.. Happy Shooting :2encou:

Thanks Mary Anne :th3:

Haven't been able to do any in-depth testing (way too hot outside) but the initial test shots I've taken are amazing, the photos are sharp enough to cut oneself on :)

GrumpyD369
10-03-2020, 7:27pm
Bought a new toy for the camera an 18-400 mm Tamron lens, it had it's maiden run on Saturday at Queensland Raceway at the drifting, photos to follow.

Cage
11-03-2020, 11:11am
Added to the Sigma Collection, well at least that is what my gear cupboard is starting to look like, with the TC-2001.

It joins the 150-600 Sport, the 70-200 Sport, the 180 f2.8 Macro , the docking station, the TC-1401 plus the earlier 1.4 T/C plus assorted filters and bric-a-brac.

Not so long ago I can remember looking down my nose at Sigma gear, but a Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro (non OS) changed my perceptions, That thing was very well built and as sharp as a tack, and I'm also super impressed with all of my recently acquired Sigma gear. DCXPERT once again got my nod for price and service. I try to buy when fleabay is having one of it's XX% OFF promos and it's usually way under grey market pricing with a genuine Sigma warranty. And no, I have no affiliation with them and get no kick backs, just like to share where I find great deals.

ameerat42
11-03-2020, 11:18am
^That's interesting, Cage. Does it allow AF as well on the (presumably Σ) 150-600?
On my Σ 50-500 I only get OS :(

Cage
11-03-2020, 11:25am
^That's interesting, Cage. Does it allow AF as well on the (presumably Σ) 150-600?
On my Σ 50-500 I only get OS :(

As it was mentioned immediately after 'Sigma Collection', you are correct in assuming that it is indeed a Sigma product. :D

I'll report back on the AF question when I unbox it.

William Gordon
11-03-2020, 1:17pm
Nice! I'm keen to get out to Queensland Raceway to take some shots sometime. Keen to see your photos!

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I love my Sigma Art 50mm 1.4.

Although I preferred the previous model shape and that almost suede texture they had.

MattNQ
11-03-2020, 1:39pm
As it was mentioned immediately after 'Sigma Collection', you are correct in assuming that it is indeed a Sigma product. :D

I'll report back on the AF question when I unbox it.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts about the TC-2001 on your longer lenses in comparison to the TC-1401. I have the TC-1401 and have been happy with it, but was wondering if I 'need' the TC-2001 as well.:D

GrumpyD369
11-03-2020, 7:18pm
Hey William,
The Japanese Nationals are on at Queensland Raceway on the 28th & 29th of March, I will be heading out on the 29th.
Might see you there.

William Gordon
12-03-2020, 10:17am
Oh cool yeah I'll see if I can come along! Is it free to watch/photograph?

GrumpyD369
13-03-2020, 5:15pm
It's $20 for Saturday, $30 on Sunday or a weekend pass is $40, I have put a link blow for you to have a look at if you like. If you download the flyer ignore the dates it is last years one.
https://qldraceways.com.au/drifting/japanese-nationals

hdn177
23-04-2020, 11:59am
Oh cool yeah I'll see if I can come along! Is it free to watch/photograph?

If you can get out there mid week, its usually free also - There is some drive and coffee days where you can get out for free and shoot too. Usually early Sat/Sun mornings - I guess once things are open again that is :)
I've been out for both shooting and driving :)

Bensch
04-05-2020, 7:33pm
New (to me) Gear Day today :)

Picked up an Olympus E-M1 MkII from eBay recently at a good price, which arrived in the post today.

Initial looks reveal that it is a significant upgrade from the old E-M1 MkI.

I may have to partake in this "exercise" thing so that I can go out and take some photos :th3:

Mary Anne
04-05-2020, 11:49pm
Congrats on that one Andy.
Exercising sound like a great way to give that new Camera a workout:nod:

tandeejay
05-05-2020, 10:01pm
My new Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens arrived today!

Poor old tawny out the back got the 1st look down the barrel

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/VsyJjma3YzginD1JPyUoD-kvdxDX61ReKDG7wrMH99SGv8VLGDfGQdhuZiq9yoaibaRn0Gl8AiafqaS8Slzo8XHF03FVx1GpJSfvKv9jUNN0Lf_fNvoHKR0yeIEOWHxVVMIF8tXw-vyBMwMQ0dPZJ00xKUOgcL6AgOlTuf2MQIm8Dz-dqhYQM-NXjIElypM4fN6NH2Md5MMAQR-W8xQ06U8CD4M9fg49Drj8JPffxWU3aGo8v-4KNEbKR9tGXcKjB7QrBINI78Utg5m4PZ1JGaTFO_9IlLoyKyergLbKELs3RYKxSTuFiHV7D0dGorCtnFJJ58nyoBdrzmKmmKOAG9dAgIFmZQvKBJteIhyaBCOzCc35Zv7niFwF2_trmX6eK1UIzV5rSP59pGxDow Hadlasdxi-VQB4P-zMxrm12MH_GdeOkbiTBzP1X-2qpdTpIro5ABoYSkTA-zrGDXCMxIpih_PNmuGHrvGVkPdef8xAIHwyTkO4gYSKiuitIjM0-vCTtdnJbmdPg23O8UHXlgykBOaXWaJW2hxQ-GKbM2H-zY1ZJvT_9PXma1asZMFUOQ9Ajc2iZEEsWZGj99hrMtpARztqfTtqr5cbsOuHAv2xiGu3Z-2ckyOSlk_w6ZkudaHmHwXc5IhvJbHMOHZkr3VASrvCacr0KVmVJDJQ6N9L71kgb7Ua9C3TKlcFYb0OQeXm80dCaEBKNKP2IzCbspx-n9Jmu5gvjQ1YW8thMPVKFtJqnm80Lzo=w1601-h1067-no

Sorry, 1st photo and I chops of the tail :o

this ones a bit better:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_0N-V8rVBqA5krXp-g3ZF79NHdgbq7Q8AagO7eUFJUQm3_MTy001-r6diRICdCYtgbiVutdwkiLznLRCxT0Vli2LZ5mKrVVkd9hKrfVUxkq3Gs76-p0tXoG5_seMgnbF3_OvW9bkuQ02kX4R0TV9y6QB0dB46PdrMO_AO8j-pcDzoh7sBMNDo9enaLhgiLdxve-ReW_Rszl-_-eekfxn9w1e4igdDBKhwqTL_oEo79gR5WU0JZ4IEuZqZD0Is--OLJpq0-os8IPIrwPdCyllyukc-xmjjb7SPYKWfZ4r4uFB4qW-3okQ5yAgx61v6xyGnM7cM4mva-Pxwu6CIYxv9tQDaCueFXjF8O5C1ayt5Ft39h26kawWv7ArKtfgpcgdYWdIMFpMHn2zcLusdBTGAESeic_NJS4qrLAtQeXJ9SJ7fbDwobbjD97Kt227codzCR5ECOy4azr_P0kJClV4Oz6dSsj6WHgCZ9nmlKKiYX wxetcttW_wzy8ePlk1YZ1M3IzZl_TlR8qFbtcrMSxXl2oZFO3eaWzUPrvDb7uBlkGS6AGDs0TFzj5X51mML50Pr26CLtDJ4T4Kh9B0SUMO14b05r2dkYJDoPl6s6odSgvipoBdFhqOOfJnlPUaVcFYNSPshf_O79 0Ky3fDIjW0qR1T2PMO6QuC1PKzyGRE7HUU_27s1DRo9VxbgBCYd_jKVUUttOsERmd0ew4UtLOIx0KhtyybhT0QN_G737mTxYgw-Z4q9c0AAo4=w1601-h1067-no

now to learn how to use the lens well :)

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, I can get a lot closer now, so can deliberately crop more... but will get plenty more opportunities to practice :D

Bensch
06-05-2020, 10:14am
My new Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens arrived today!

Poor old tawny out the back got the 1st look down the barrel

Sorry, 1st photo and I chops of the tail :o

this ones a bit better:

now to learn how to use the lens well :)

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, I can get a lot closer now, so can deliberately crop more... but will get plenty more opportunities to practice :D

Congrats, fantastic photos and an amazing piece of glass :th3:

peterb666
13-05-2020, 7:02pm
This is 1980s hard-core Nikon camera porn. My latest babies, near mint Nikon F3 and FM. I have never had an F3 before and it is a fantastic camera, but after a play with it, I prefer the F2 and the FM. I also have a FE but it is in pretty average condition. Still, other than build quality, I think a superior camera to the F3 when it comes to how the controls are set out and operation.

Must buy some film and give these puppies a try out.

[url='http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=143927']

Nick Cliff
13-05-2020, 10:41pm
Great to see these old beauties Peter being looked after. Do wonder in the future with these amazing mechanical shutters with your FM and F3 whether they could be highly desirable items one day like old easy to maintain Holden Monaros or Ford Mustangs.

Cheers Nick

MarkChap
16-05-2020, 4:10pm
A new toy

http://mchap.com/linked/2020/heq.jpg

ameerat42
16-05-2020, 5:08pm
^Sure looks purrty, Mark.

Jorge Arguello
18-05-2020, 2:33pm
Mark... you left me speech less... I hope you enjoy your toy, and keeping "social distancing" you might be able to invite some friends... enjoy it!

MarkChap
18-05-2020, 2:59pm
Thanks Jorge,
Looking forward to some clear skies

Mark... you left me speech less... I hope you enjoy your toy, and keeping "social distancing" you might be able to invite some friends... enjoy it!

WhoDo
18-05-2020, 5:49pm
A new toy

http://mchap.com/linked/2020/heq.jpg

Oops! Don’t tell Noelene [emoji23]

Aus275
18-05-2020, 8:00pm
Oops! Don’t tell Noelene [emoji23]

That picture was taken in the lounge room, I'm guessing it would be safe to say she knows :laughing1::laughing1:

Bensch
20-05-2020, 10:19am
Picked up a Gobe CPL and ND2-400 filter recently, looking forward to giving them a try :th3:

Jorge Arguello
25-05-2020, 12:22pm
Enjoy your new toys Andy.

MarkChap
21-06-2020, 4:15pm
Sky Watcher ED72 Apochromatic, 420mm f5.8, gives me 1 stop more light than my current lens, so twice the light for the same exposure time

http://mchap.com/linked/astro/scope.jpg

Mary Anne
23-06-2020, 1:17pm
Mark that's a decent Kit you have there, may you have many hours of enjoyment looking for the Stars or whatever is out there.
And BTW you phone cam takes a decent image too.

axle01
25-06-2020, 9:02am
Just got myself a Sony Cyber-shot RX100 V arrived yesterday just gotta go and pick it up from my old work shop, the minister of finance doesn’t know about it yet.
I put in a ridiculous bid on eBay not expecting to win it but the finish time was at midnight so I got up and waited till a few seconds before the close and to my surprise I got it.
I only got it for the 960 FPS frame rate for slow motion videos.
Hopefully I can do some slomo water drop videos with it.

Al

ameerat42
25-06-2020, 9:36am
That slo-mo: at "...1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 60 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM..."
it's impressificative. Basically, 1/4 speed.

(Source: DPR.)

axle01
25-06-2020, 10:08am
That slo-mo: at "...1920 x 1080 @ 120p / 60 Mbps, XAVC S, MP4, H.264, Linear PCM..."
it's impressificative. Basically, 1/4 speed.

(Source: DPR.)
Yeah hopefully it will produce good results, I’ve seen some slomo vids using a phone at 960 fps so here’s hoping.

Al

ameerat42
25-06-2020, 10:21am
960 fps? Was that next to a black hole?:eek:

axle01
25-06-2020, 10:31am
960 fps? Was that next to a black hole?:eek:
Haha yeah close :lol:

Al

Mary Anne
25-06-2020, 6:22pm
Nice little camera that one you should have lots of fun with it Al.
Will look forward to seeing those water drop videos when you get the time :nod:

axle01
25-06-2020, 7:15pm
Nice little camera that one you should have lots of fun with it Al.
Will look forward to seeing those water drop videos when you get the time :nod:
Thanks Mary Anne, yeah hopefully.

Al

Mary Anne
28-06-2020, 5:22pm
My Daughter said to me the week before last week Mum how about a Girly day out at the shops as you have not been out for Months.
Ok I said and she picked me up at 9.30am and took us to one of the bigger Shopping Centres I was surprised at how empty it was.
Still we had a great time and I picked up my Christmas Present from Tony got a good deal as it was on Sale.
I did not want the latest model as I had researched late last year and decided on the Samsung Portable SSD T5 and got the 1TB size.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Odd-Ones/i-cgjcrQd/0/85586eb8/O/P6280153.jpg%20Christmas%20SSD.jpg

Have to love the end of EOFY Sales so many bargains out there especially this year.
Though I feel so sorry for the people that have lost their jobs and the Businesses that had to shut down.
Almost 18 months since I have bought any Lenses and I had saved up more than enough in that time for what I was after.
After researching for many days decided on getting them from a Brick and Mortar Store in another State.
Actually it was where I bought my first camera a Box Brownie in 1960. I ordered them Sunday night and they were delivered on Thursday.

Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8

For the closer up Bird shots as I have had to take my Canon gear to shoot those which is a lot heavier.

Olympus 17mm f/1.8

I wanted something that weighed less than my 12-40 f/2.8 lens to pop into my handbag and this 17mm f/1.8 was 1/3 the weight and tiny.
Really like this one it is sharp at f/1.8 and I will not be needing any more lenses, very happy with what I have now :nod:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Odd-Ones/i-rMccKHm/0/74d2cc54/O/P6280274.jpg%20New%20Olympic%20Lenses..jpg

ameerat42
23-07-2020, 4:09pm
Whoo, I just got a new OPPO A9 2020 phone!!!:party7:...

--for somebody else :o But I'm impressed with it, just the same :nod:

From Officeworks, for $349, even though that's the price everywhere.

I compared it with the Samsung A21S, but this one's got more RAM/Storage.
Else it's so much the same. The person [is/was/will be again some day] a
traveller, so needed dual SIM capability. The Samsung did not have that.

Oppo A9 2020 specs. (https://www.gsmarena.com/oppo_a9_(2020)-9819.php)

ameerat42
24-07-2020, 8:32am
...so needed dual SIM capability. The Samsung did not have that...
- The Australian models, that is :rolleyes:

Glenda
18-08-2020, 4:51pm
I bought myself a Nikon Z50 which is the crop sensor of their mirrorless range. I wanted something light when I have to carry it any distance and it certainly is that. At this stage I only have the kit lens but am rather impressed with it and I can use my other Nikon lenses with the FTZ adaptor until Nikon come out with more Z lenses for the crop version. Whilst I love some of the features of my little Olympus and I was considering upgrading it, I was concerned that Olympus is selling the camera side of their business to what sounds like a company which may not develop it further. I also find I can work instinctively with the Nikon but was still learning how to change various things with the Olympus.

Mary Anne
18-08-2020, 10:49pm
Congratulations on you new camera Glenda. May you have many happy hours using it.
Though it’s not the camera that is heavy for me, it’s those lenses :D

Saph
22-08-2020, 4:33pm
Huh something i never noticed i never posted in here about my new lens that i brought

New 55 to 250 lens from cash converters for like 300 dollars brought back on the 9/06/2020 and still new because ive not used it much

tandeejay
30-10-2020, 9:49pm
Picked up a 2nd hand Nikon 80-200 f2.8 D a/f (gen 2) which I've been looking around for for a while now for the photography I do for my Church.

When it arrived I found it has a Haze-1 filter. It seems this filter is basically a UV filter. So is there any real benefit leaving it on?

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

Glenda
31-10-2020, 7:24am
Picked up a 2nd hand Nikon 80-200 f2.8 D a/f (gen 2) which I've been looking around for for a while now for the photography I do for my Church.

When it arrived I found it has a Haze-1 filter. It seems this filter is basically a UV filter. So is there any real benefit leaving it on?

I'm in the camp which doesn't believe we need UV filters, probably you'd find an equal number who believe the opposite. Some believe they protect the lens from damage but there are many videos disproving that. I rely on my lens hood to protect my lenses from accidental knocks. Enjoy your new lens.

tandeejay
31-10-2020, 8:11am
2nd hand lens. Didnt have the hood... I can get one off ebay fairly cheaply though; HB7 I believe for this lens. If there is no optical advantage to using a if filter I'll remove it.

Mark L
03-11-2020, 8:50pm
My understanding is that UV filters served a purpose in the age of film. :)

ameerat42
10-07-2021, 3:27pm
Poetic disclaimer:
It is used, not new, and it is not the current model. But Whoo! cares?
It's my first ever dedicated macro lens, and it came mentioned in dispatches :nod: /cartwheels

(And it's in top condition, and I paid just $200, so I'm :D )

Pic 1

Pic 2

- - - Updated - - -

It achieves a native 1:1 reproduction, and I hope to get 2:1 with the 2X converter.

Mary Anne
10-07-2021, 6:14pm
Good on you sounds like a good deal. And I Will look forward to seeing what you post in the Macro Forum Am.

Bensch
14-09-2021, 6:06pm
Very nice Am, looking forward to seeing some Macro shots :th3:

ameerat42
25-02-2022, 6:55pm
...had my very excellent Redmi Note 4 (https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_4-8531.php) pack it in :(:(:(

-- And Whoo-hoo, I had to buy a new Nokia G50 (https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_g50-11077.php) and enter the world of 5G-capable communicatory.
(But I don't think I can afford any 5G plans :o)

I only wish this new phone were not so large!:eek: