PDA

View Full Version : Tasmania Trip Advice

Tannachy
28-08-2014, 6:10pm
First up I am going to Tasmania for a couple weeks at the beginning of March next year. Flying in and out of Launceston.

I would like to hike the Overland Track, I find the very high cost a little off putting, but I am still considering it. I'm sure a few members here have experience of doing it so could offer me some tips. Whats the best way to get in and out? Costs etc?

If I decide not to do it, what other good hikes are good?

Then any general Tasmania advice would be awesome. I think my girlfriend wants to spent a couple days down at Freycinet too.

Thanks!

johndom
28-08-2014, 9:49pm
It's definitely worth doing, not quite sure what the high costs are? But this is a stunning wilderness area, great for all different types of photography.

I think you can catch a bus to each end. You can certainly get one from lake st Clair. If you have a hire car you can drive to lake st Clair and walk in to the middle of the park (the labyrinth, or pelion)and stay in one area for a few days and walk out again. ( or catch the boat). That said, the scenery around cradle mt is stunning and not to be missed.
I could ramble endlessly, but do it, spend the money, you won't regret it.
And take a raincoat.

Dylan & Marianne
28-08-2014, 11:21pm
If you are looking to do a guided version it can be very costly! Doing it on your own only costs you a couple of hundred doesn't it? A few companies do the drop off at cradle mountain and the pickup at lake st Clair and allow you to transport extra bags to the Hobart terminal to help you feel more human at the end of it all! If yours have time, I'd take the side trip to pine valley hut too, and get the boat from narcissus hut as the walk from echo hut out is pretty boring compared to the rest of the trip !

Tannachy
11-09-2014, 4:53pm
Thanks, I guess it isn't that expensive I just read an article somewhere going on about it. Not too different to any of NZ's Great Walks really.

Any other areas that are worth checking out? I do enjoy hiking and outdoorsy stuff besides photography.

Sarge
12-09-2014, 4:25pm
I was looking at doing the Overland with a mate beginning of this year on our trip over, but we were put off by the fee!

Will you be going south? If you are, I can highly recommend Adamsons Peak - that was a fantastic hike in many ways and tougher than I thought it would be too! If your into MTB'ing, the singletrail down Mount Wellington is an awesome ride through some spectacular scenery!

Tannachy
12-09-2014, 5:37pm
Thanks Tim, I'll check out both. The MTBing sounds good, I haven't done it in a while so would be good to get back in the saddle.

phild
14-09-2014, 11:52am
Walking around Dove lake at Cradle mountain is worthwhile, there are lots of other short walks in the area without doing the overland track. If you're in to mountain biking there are some fantastic trails (and scenery) around the Blue Tiers and a new area is just about to be opened up at Hollybank (4th October I believe). Here's a link to Tassie Trails. http://tassietrails.org

mickyj
21-09-2014, 8:18pm
Yeah, I loved Cradle mountain for photos. The wildlife and scenery there is amazing.
Even better if you can stay there an sunset and overnight at the lodge.

Tannachy
05-10-2014, 9:03pm
Can I ask people who have done the Overland Track, how do you get back to your car?

DacrimL
05-10-2014, 9:58pm
Not sure if you are going down south to Hobart area......but there is an extremely beautiful waterfall in behind Mt Wellington, I think it can accessed via the mountain top if not there is a walking trail about half way along the Huon highway leading out of Hobart. Ricktas should know the point to park.....the highest point on the highway, there is a parking area near an old watering trough.

Other areas are down in the Arve Valley south of Hobart about an hours drive.

Boo53
06-10-2014, 12:53am
Can I ask people who have done the Overland Track, how do you get back to your car?

There are shuttles available, for a cost of course. Google would find the options or check out this forum http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

ricktas
06-10-2014, 8:12am
Not sure if you are going down south to Hobart area......but there is an extremely beautiful waterfall in behind Mt Wellington, I think it can accessed via the mountain top if not there is a walking trail about half way along the Huon highway leading out of Hobart. Ricktas should know the point to park.....the highest point on the highway, there is a parking area near an old watering trough.

Other areas are down in the Arve Valley south of Hobart about an hours drive.

Did you mean Wellington Falls? http://tastrails.com/wellington-falls/
There are quite a few waterfalls on Mt Wellington, I have 4 within 10-15 minute walk from my home.

DacrimL
06-10-2014, 10:51am
That would be the one Rick.....I remember them from my bushwalking days before I got into photography.......mores the pity, they were beautiful.