PDA

View Full Version : Supermoon

paulheath
09-08-2014, 9:29pm
Just to remind you that tomorrow 10th August will be the biggest supermoon this year , coming very very close to earth at 356,896 kilometers :D....pray for a clear sky

ameerat42
09-08-2014, 9:35pm
Ta Paul. It was ALL OVER the news today, as one of those OOHH! SUPERMOON stories, and full of inaccuracies, as usual.

I was expecting them to say that its gravity would take us all up in the Rapture:eek: - But they didn't:( , so we are doomed
to plod the earth as sub-SUPER-lunary beings for some time yet! [/MOPE]

Mark L
09-08-2014, 9:42pm
Does it really matter. I've learned to crop since buying my DSLR. :)
'spose it may make a fraction of a difference if you're including something as well as the moon in your photo. But would we know it was a supermoon?;)
It may inspire some to go and take some photos of the moon. That's good.

Nick Cliff
10-08-2014, 10:00am
- - - Updated - - -

Paul,moonrise in Brisbane 4.54pm ESE,sunset 5.24pm,am thinking Brisbane moonrise over the city from Mt Cootha lookout shall be a veritable nerdfest . Barring the usual earthquake or volcanic dramas,I should to be there camera in hand ,regards Nick.

mudman
10-08-2014, 10:44am
i'm a bit confused about this, although i know the moon is full, i saw it last night when out taking landscapes.
the ephemeris i have on my computer doesn't say it's a full moon. it says the moonrise is 5.00pm at 105.6 degrees.

arthurking83
10-08-2014, 11:06am
.....pray for a clear sky

I wouldn't be sweating in it actually.
Wait till about the 8-10th Sept if you miss this one due to weather .. it'll be(close enough too) the same size!

Here's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_distance_%28astronomy%29) a link to moon distances expressed in a graphical format, you can see that next month the moon will be pretty much super again.

http://youtu.be/F9pVaTQinIw
While it's true that the moon can appear about 10% larger at perigree(super status) compared to apogee(weakling status :p) .. in general there's not a huge difference in apparent size between perigree(super status) and an average moon distance.
The biggest difference is when the moon is at apogee(farthest distance). I think this coincides with a full moon in early Dec(7-8th)?? for this year.

Nick Cliff
10-08-2014, 11:26am
Mudman ,time and date.com ,is a good site if you not familiar with this resource for sun and moon info,regards Nick.