PDA

View Full Version : Tassie

Glenda
25-07-2014, 4:51pm
Have decided to finally visit Tasmania this year - either October or November. As I don't really want to prebook much apart from the first couple of nights accommodation my first question is would we have much trouble getting accommodation during this time. Obviously photographing the amazing scenery will be high on my list so would also value input as to the 'must see' places. The only two I really know are Port Arthur and Cradle Mountain.

ameerat42
25-07-2014, 5:15pm
Is it school holidays? If not, then no. What sort of accom are you looking for? Try self-contained cabin chains. You can book ahead from one to the other.
If you join one you can get about a 10% discount per night. This adds up+++++++++++$.

This is not a plug, but I joined Big 4.

It is especially not a plug because my membership has lapsed.

ricktas
25-07-2014, 5:30pm
Our next lot of school hols are Sept (off the top of my head), so you should be right.

As for what is on, where and when: http://www.discovertasmania.com.au/

Mark L
25-07-2014, 7:44pm
Many moons ago we rented a car and traveled around. Spent a couple of nights in Strahan and took a day boat trip up the Gordon River. My favorite memory.:) You also have to go through he otherworldly landscape of Queenstown to get there. (wonder if nature is reclaiming anything there, doubt it.)

Glenda
26-07-2014, 6:44am
Thanks guys. Sept is school holidays in Qld but I know all states don't match exactly. Thanks for the tip Ameerat. Have seen the site Rick will have to go through it in more depth. Thanks Mark, the photographs I've seen of areas of Tassie remind me of NZ and obviously they have similar place names as well.