PDA

View Full Version : Portrait office photos

someevil
24-06-2014, 11:21am
Hi guys,

I have been asked by my wife's employer to take photos of the 20 staff members (individually) so they can hang in the foyer with a name underneath. The ones they have at the minute are about 5yr old and they have new staff since then.

I have offered to update them for free on this occasion as I am more after experience than cash at this point.

My only real question at this point, is what background do you use? I don't think the white office wall is any good. I understand it will be blurred out pretty much, but to people carry a sheet with them?

Any random tips for me?

Cheers

Sent from my S3 on the run.

ricktas
24-06-2014, 12:54pm
First off. give away stuff for free, and they will want it for free next time. They also tend to tell others that you did their for free...and you get more calls to do it.. for free. Charge them..even if you quote $500.00 but then discount to $100.

As for backdrop, use something neutral. Black, white, grey. People's clothes, skin tones, hair colours etc can clash with coloured backgrounds.

Cage
24-06-2014, 3:43pm
I assume you have established what they are expecting for free, ie just a digital copy of your shots or are they expecting A3/A4 pro quality prints in modern frames.

someevil
24-06-2014, 3:44pm
Yeah they always just get digital copy and print themselves.

Mark L
24-06-2014, 8:55pm
Look at the BG of the current portraits. Try and replicate with a sheet of paper, curtain or draped fabric.

someevil
24-06-2014, 10:12pm
Yeah thanks Mark. Its so good suggestion and I will be taking a look next time I am in the office. Cheers

HughD
24-06-2014, 11:01pm
Hi Someevil
I agree with Rick, giving stuff away for free is an issue, for both parties. Make sure they know what you would normally charge for such a service and provide a statement of work outlining what you are going to do and resources you will provide (email is fine) as this avoids misunderstandings on the day. If you are uncomfortable asking for money, then perhaps a contra in kind may work better for you. Dinner or perhaps a day of in lieu for your wife? Look professional, act professional and at the very least you can use them as a reference.
Cheers
Hugh