PDA

View Full Version : Portable HDD fail. Mac.

danny
04-06-2014, 10:40pm
So, it finally happened I had a portable HDD fail on me. At a very inconvenient time I might add :eek:

I can't see it on the desktop (Mac).

Any advise?????

ameerat42
04-06-2014, 10:46pm
Does it spin up? Touch it lightly when you plug it in. Does it vibrate?
Does it work on any other machine?

MissionMan
04-06-2014, 10:54pm
Try it on another computer, try another cable and try another housing. There are a number of things that can go wrong, the hard drive isn't necessary to blame (yet)

danny
04-06-2014, 10:59pm

it spins with light on and no vibration but there is a slight noise when it starts up. I'm yet to try it on another machine.

- - - Updated - - -

it spins with light on and no vibration but there is a slight noise when it starts up. I'm yet to try it on another machine.

Bennymiata
04-06-2014, 11:30pm
Probably a bearing either holding the platter, or in the electric motor.
A 2c part causes the failure, and it can cost heaps to recover the data.

tduell
05-06-2014, 12:47pm
When all else has failed, and nothing to lose, give it a Thump. If the cause of the problem is bearing or motor stiction this does sometimes get it to spin up. If it does do the trick, move your files off this drive quick smart, as it will almost surely give trouble again.

Cheers,
Terry

- - - Updated - - -

When all else has failed, and nothing to lose, give it a Thump. If the cause of the problem is bearing or motor stiction this does sometimes get it to spin up. If it does do the trick, move your files off this drive quick smart, as it will almost surely give trouble again.

Cheers,
Terry