PDA

View Full Version : Business Card

bitsnpieces
15-05-2014, 4:12pm
Trying to make a business card to use - am I allowed to post it up to get opinions on it? o.O

Kym
15-05-2014, 4:14pm
No problems, just don't promote any business (< 30 days membership), asking is ok

bitsnpieces
15-05-2014, 4:22pm
Okay, when I have one ready, I'll ask for some feedback and advice :)

Thank you Kym

MissionMan
15-05-2014, 5:33pm
Have a look around at the clear plastic business card options. They're slightly more expensive but there are some cool ones.

I may this design for myself which is a combination of about 20 ideas I've seen on the web. It was developed out of illustrator and I downloaded a lot of free elements on the web. I'm not a pro but there are times I need to hand out cards so people can get in touch with me for photos. The idea is that the white portion will be clear plastic so it looks like a viewfinder but I haven't got around to printing it yet.

http://atholhill.smugmug.com/photos/i-mckBtWB/0/L/i-mckBtWB-L.jpg

bitsnpieces
15-05-2014, 6:56pm
That's really cool, and I like the idea of the transparency - problem is I'm on a very low budget, but it's something to consider as I look at the costs and weigh up. :)

Just need to form an idea of my own now...

nimrodisease
15-05-2014, 7:48pm
I actually just got some business cards printed in the last couple of weeks, through moo.com. Through a bit of a google search I was able to find a company offering 100 free 'minicards', I just had to pay >$4 for postage. The great thing about moo business cards is that you can have a separate front design for each and every card you order.

bitsnpieces
16-05-2014, 3:04am
moo.com aye? I'll look into that - I was going for Vista Prints because it's the only place I know of so far, and $10 for 250 regular standard cards, my wallet agrees. lol

Speedway
16-05-2014, 11:47am
I do my own printed on plain A4 paper, laminated and cut to size. That way I can change the design to suit the occasion.
Cheers
Keith.

Samples

ausfitter
16-05-2014, 12:06pm
MissionMan, that is an awesome idea and design. It really gets you thinking outside of the box :th3:

bitsnpieces
16-05-2014, 2:05pm
How much does it cost you Keith to get them laminated and cut to size?

And I'm guessing it's now the clear plastic lamination right? Where you got the clear plastic edges sticking out, I'm assuming this is on regular A4, then they put a coating over it?

Speedway
16-05-2014, 10:21pm
How much does it cost you Keith to get them laminated and cut to size?

I have a $25 A4 laminator and a $25 guillotine both on special from BigW. A4 laminating pouches cost about $25 per 100 and I do 10 cards per A4 sheet as I need them.
Cheers
Keith.

Printed sheet ready for laminating and cutting.

bitsnpieces
17-05-2014, 12:22am
Sounds great - only thing I don't like is the plastic bits that will stick out of the actual card from the pouches, guess it could still work though hm...

Or I'm guessing you cut them to the card itself too? How well does the lamination stick then? I would have thought cutting off the end bits where the lamination stick together would cause the other parts to fray

Speedway
17-05-2014, 11:57am
The hot laminating process bonds the plastic to the paper and I cut to the edge of the card. I have had cards in my wallet for over 12 months with no sign of delaminating, the only time I had any problem was when I left my wallet in my pocket and it went through the washing machine and even then over half the cards survived, none of the conventional cards did.
Cheers
Keith.

bobt
17-05-2014, 2:11pm
I have also used the laminating machine for cards, but another alternative is to use card stock (i.e. A4 cardboard thin enough to go through your inkjet) and just print straight to that with no laminating - get one of those cheap slide cutters from Office Works to chop them up. I do them for my wife when she does presentations in Canberra, and they stand up well against commercial ones. She's used them with politicians, delegates overseas etc.

bitsnpieces
19-05-2014, 8:26pm
I'll have to try that card stock option - mostly just need a cheap way to get cards, and lots of it. :)