PDA

View Full Version : Eurycnema goliath

Congo
12-05-2014, 8:41pm
Hello all
i came across this amazing "BIG" insect and thought i would share, as far as i know this stick insect is only found in the kimberley, i have seen one bigger when in Broome that nearly covered a 13" inch wheel, but didnt have my camera with me so i was happy to have it here, this was taken while looking for aboriginal paintings near Wyndham.108816

Cage
12-05-2014, 8:55pm
Big bugger hey?

That's a very authentic looking hand painting. :lol2:

Mary Anne
12-05-2014, 10:39pm
Its a beauty Congo, they certainty grow them big up in the North, and Thanks for sharing.

Mark L
13-05-2014, 12:03am
Wow, I can't believe you have such small hands.:D

davsv1
13-05-2014, 12:06am
I believe they live high up in the trees, I've found a few here in Brisbane after a storm, they get blown down I'm told. They may be a different species but look much the same and seem a similar size 6-8 inches

Congo
13-05-2014, 1:09am
Big bugger hey?

That's a very authentic looking hand painting. :lol2:

LOL just for you Kev

- - - Updated - - -

Its a beauty Congo, they certainty grow them big up in the North, and Thanks for sharing.

They sure do Mary Anne seems everything is bigger up here especially the reptiles :2culpa:

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, I can't believe you have such small hands.:D

nice one Mark :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

I believe they live high up in the trees, I've found a few here in Brisbane after a storm, they get blown down I'm told. They may be a different species but look much the same and seem a similar size 6-8 inches

thanks for post David, maybe they do get down as far Brisbane i just haven't seen them as big as these, the one in broome was huge with bright red wings and made a weird noise when you got too close, the one i have posted didn't move and wasn't bothered with me being so close.

Mary Anne
13-05-2014, 10:19am
I have had the large one in our garden here not 30cms long reckon 20cms more the size...
Born and lived in Townsville for many years they have those huge ones up there too though not quite this size. http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/australias-longest-stick-insect-found-near-cairns/story-fnjfzs4b-1226851062539

Congo
13-05-2014, 11:48am
I have had the large one in our garden here not 30cms long reckon 20cms more the size...
Born and lived in Townsville for many years they have those huge ones up there too though not quite this size. http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/australias-longest-stick-insect-found-near-cairns/story-fnjfzs4b-1226851062539

WoW that is a big bug Mary Anne not sure if i would what it crawling over me. thanks for the post.

rafikicat
13-05-2014, 4:08pm
We had a very large one here in Sydney, must have been at least 20 cm, light brown in colour. Unfortunately when I went inside to get the camera, one of the resident Magpies spied it. Goodbye stick insect and goodbye photo. :(
I like the Kimberley one's stripey legs.

Congo
13-05-2014, 5:56pm
We had a very large one here in Sydney, must have been at least 20 cm, light brown in colour. Unfortunately when I went inside to get the camera, one of the resident Magpies spied it. Goodbye stick insect and goodbye photo. :(
I like the Kimberley one's stripey legs.

Hi Toni there such uncoordinated movers, making them such easy pickings for the birds, i have seen these stick insects swaying around on leaves and twigs trying to make up there next move sometimes taking 20 minutes.

rafikicat
13-05-2014, 6:12pm
Hi Toni there such uncoordinated movers, making them such easy pickings for the birds, i have seen these stick insects swaying around on leaves and twigs trying to make up there next move sometimes taking 20 minutes.

Sort of like an insect variety of the 3-toed sloth. :D