PDA

View Full Version : Camera bag as carry on bag, options?

Morgo
25-04-2014, 4:20pm
Hello,

I was wondering what people here have used camera bag wise as a carry on bag when flying international?
An upcoming trip has me wanting a good size camera bag that needs to fit the carry on bag requirements, Qantas, while still carrying a good amount of gear.

nimrodisease
25-04-2014, 6:08pm
I use an f-stop Kenti, and have found it to be an exceptional bag for this purpose. Enough room for a DSLR plus several lenses, still with enough space for food/extraneous clothing etc. It's a side access bag also, which I really like for accessing gear on the go (no need to put the bag down).

http://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/kenti.html

Morgo
25-04-2014, 7:59pm
Thanks will check them out :)

m841
25-04-2014, 10:59pm
I've just picked up a Crumpler for an upcoming trip. Well built, and there are a few options based on how much stuff you have, and you can arrange the dividers as needed.

MissionMan
25-04-2014, 11:28pm
Try thinktank. In my experience, they are much better quality than Lowepro and they don't look like camera bags. The bag I have is the ThinkTank retrospective 20 which carries a pro size DLSR with 70-200 attached but they have different sizes to cater for different requirements.

I put up a review here:

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?130563-ThinkTank-Retrospective-20-Review

Wobbles
25-04-2014, 11:42pm
I would highly recommend the Think Tank range of 'Airport' backpacks http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/camera-backpacks/airport-backpacks.aspx As the name implies, they are specifically designed around maximising capacity but complying with airline requirements. I have two - The (older model) smaller Airport Antidote V2 will fit two pro bodies + 4-5 lenses etc. The larger Airport Accelerator I took to Kenya late last year was packed with two Canon 1D3's, EF500f/4, EF70-200f/2.8, EF24-70f/2.8, EF17-40f/4, TC1.4x and various other bits & pieces including laptop & ipad. Whilst it weighed a 'little bit' ;) over the 7kg limit I had no problems with it size wise and got to Africa & back with no dramas.

Cheers
John

Morgo
26-04-2014, 2:59pm
Cheers guys, I shall check all these out.

Has anyone used Gura Gear? The new bataflae 32L looks interesting though it seems to command a premium.

- - - Updated - - -

I would highly recommend the Think Tank range of 'Airport' backpacks http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/camera-backpacks/airport-backpacks.aspx As the name implies, they are specifically designed around maximising capacity but complying with airline requirements. I have two - The (older model) smaller Airport Antidote V2 will fit two pro bodies + 4-5 lenses etc. The larger Airport Accelerator I took to Kenya late last year was packed with two Canon 1D3's, EF500f/4, EF70-200f/2.8, EF24-70f/2.8, EF17-40f/4, TC1.4x and various other bits & pieces including laptop & ipad. Whilst it weighed a 'little bit' ;) over the 7kg limit I had no problems with it size wise and got to Africa & back with no dramas.

Cheers
John
Just a little :) Any idea how much it weighed all up?
Did they say anything about it?

I'm heading to botswana and its my first time taking a large amount of camera gear by myself and I certainly don't want to check anything (except a flash, spare batteries etc)

MissionMan
26-04-2014, 4:30pm
I would not check ANYTHING remotely valuable flying to Botswana. You'll fly through Johannesburg where you have about a 1:5 chance of having your luggage raided by baggage handlers who help themselves to anything they feel is worthwhile. I did work in Saudi where I was flying through JHB once a month. My bags were broken into 3 out of 5 trips. I'd find jeans, shoes and other random items missing because I had no valuables in my luggage.

Morgo
26-04-2014, 4:59pm
That is a little worrying. When you say broken into did you have locks on your suitcase or was it just opened? Just trying to work out if some small padlocks or cable ties might help my chances or it they would make the bag more of a target by trying to keep them out.

Might have to just use my old dusty and worn suitcase in the hopes it appears to be less worth their time to raid compared to other peoples.

Wobbles
26-04-2014, 5:07pm
Just a little :) Any idea how much it weighed all up?
Did they say anything about it?

I'm heading to botswana and its my first time taking a large amount of camera gear by myself and I certainly don't want to check anything (except a flash, spare batteries etc)

It was about 12.5kg all up... I wasn't worried about size as it was compliant, however I was worried about getting weighed. I slung it over one shoulder when going through check-in/security etc. to make it 'look light'... must of helped as had no requests for weigh in ;) I did have a contingency plan however... I wore a vest, yes very stylish I know :o , but there was no way I was checking that bag! If I did have to weigh in, the bodies and smaller lens would have gone in the vest, through check-in, then back in the bag!

Cheers
John

MissionMan
26-04-2014, 5:09pm
That is a little worrying. When you say broken into did you have locks on your suitcase or was it just opened? Just trying to work out if some small padlocks or cable ties might help my chances or it they would make the bag more of a target by trying to keep them out.

Might have to just use my old dusty and worn suitcase in the hopes it appears to be less worth their time to raid compared to other peoples.

I'd use a hard case if you can and plastic wrap.

Glenda
26-04-2014, 5:13pm
I've only had carry on luggage weighed a couple of times. Last time our camera bag was way over but we just took out the cameras with the two heaviest lenses attached, put them over our shoulder which made the bag under the 7kg limit. We then replaced them in the bag once we had been through security.

Morgo
26-04-2014, 5:17pm
It was about 12.5kg all up... I wasn't worried about size as it was compliant, however I was worried about getting weighed. I slung it over one shoulder when going through check-in/security etc. to make it 'look light'... must of helped as had no requests for weigh in ;) I did have a contingency plan however... I wore a vest, yes very stylish I know :o , but there was no way I was checking that bag! If I did have to weigh in, the bodies and smaller lens would have gone in the vest, through check-in, then back in the bag!

Cheers
John

I have pretty much the same plan. I'm looking for a cheap vest to put in the bag so if I'm hassled I can take it out, put it on and fill the pockets. I don't believe they can argue with that.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd use a hard case if you can and plastic wrap.
Plastic wrap? As in the contents?

- - - Updated - - -

I've only had carry on luggage weighed a couple of times. Last time our camera bag was way over but we just took out the cameras with the two heaviest lenses attached, put them over our shoulder which made the bag under the 7kg limit. We then replaced them in the bag once we had been through security.

Did they have any issues with that?

I @ M
26-04-2014, 5:47pm
I have pretty much the same plan. I'm looking for a cheap vest to put in the bag so if I'm hassled I can take it out, put it on and fill the pockets. I don't believe they can argue with that.

I am a little puzzled as to why you feel that you are being hassled if someone who is doing their job asks you to comply with the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you bought the ticket.
As for any argument, I reckon that if one ensues you will be looking at buying another ticket on another airline at very short notice and considerable expense.
Size and weight restrictions are applied for several reasons. If all carry on luggage remains within set dimensions then all the passengers who bought a ticket get a fair chance at having the same luggage space and the weight issue is there to try to prevent overhead luggage causing excessive damage to passengers and crew when it is propelled violently around the cabin in times of extreme turbulence that can pop open overhead luggage bins.
Both pretty fair points I reckon.
I know, we all like to get a little extra for our money and it puzzles me why there are differing weight limits set on different airlines but at the end of the day their rules are their rules and ignorance is really no excuse for bending them.

As for the original question, set your budget, look at the quality and functionality of bags that match your needs and buy accordingly, after all with a few exceptions from the well known premium brand makers all of them come from much the same factories in China and Viet Nam.
Even the knock off lowepro, think tank, gura gear products that are available cheaply on the net are rumoured to come off the same production line in the same factory as the genuine items.

Morgo
26-04-2014, 5:57pm
I am a little puzzled as to why you feel that you are being hassled if someone who is doing their job asks you to comply with the terms and conditions that you agreed to when you bought the ticket.
As for any argument, I reckon that if one ensues you will be looking at buying another ticket on another airline at very short notice and considerable expense.
Size and weight restrictions are applied for several reasons. If all carry on luggage remains within set dimensions then all the passengers who bought a ticket get a fair chance at having the same luggage space and the weight issue is there to try to prevent overhead luggage causing excessive damage to passengers and crew when it is propelled violently around the cabin in times of extreme turbulence that can pop open overhead luggage bins.
Both pretty fair points I reckon.
I know, we all like to get a little extra for our money and it puzzles me why there are differing weight limits set on different airlines but at the end of the day their rules are their rules and ignorance is really no excuse for bending them.

As for the original question, set your budget, look at the quality and functionality of bags that match your needs and buy accordingly, after all with a few exceptions from the well known premium brand makers all of them come from much the same factories in China and Viet Nam.
Even the knock off lowepro, think tank, gura gear products that are available cheaply on the net are rumoured to come off the same production line in the same factory as the genuine items.

Hassle may not have been the best word and I fully agree as to why there are weight and size restrictions on over head luggage.
That said this gear is going with me and as they certainly can't guarantee its safety as checked in luggage then its going on as carry on, one way or another. Even if that means stuffing it in my pockets, down my pants or under a jacket.

- - - Updated - - -

What really annoys me is the price they charge for prepaid excess luggage, over $500 return I believe for just 5kg. If it were more reasonable then I would have considered using my large pelican case and paying the extra for it, but not at those rates. Especially when Joe bob in front of me who weighs 20kg more than me gets the same weight carry on and check in.

I @ M
26-04-2014, 6:02pm
That said this gear is going with me and as they certainly can't guarantee its safety as checked in luggage then its going on as carry on, one way or another. Even if that means stuffing it in my pockets, down my pants or under a jacket.

Please do relate the stories of favourable treatment that you receive from airline staff once they have checked out your physique that is enhanced by a 300mm F/4 lens stuffed inside one trouser leg ------ :rolleyes:

MissionMan
26-04-2014, 6:17pm
Please do relate the stories of favourable treatment that you receive from airline staff once they have checked out your physique that is enhanced by a 300mm F/4 lens stuffed inside one trouser leg ------ :rolleyes:

What? Are you saying a female wouldn't be impressed with the bulge from a 300mm f/4 in someone's pants? :D:eek:

Morgo
26-04-2014, 6:21pm
If it goes down the pants then its going to need a foot on the lens to clip it on with, so more like a 120-300 2.8 or 200-400 than a 300 f4 :)

I @ M
26-04-2014, 6:38pm
What? Are you saying a female wouldn't be impressed with the bulge from a 300mm f/4 in someone's pants? :D:eek:

Who mentioned gender? ------ :rolleyes:

NikonNellie
27-04-2014, 12:40am
I bought a Crumpler "Cobram Outpost" bag which had ample room for my needs. It weighed about 7 kilos when fully packed with all of my gear (not including a tripod) and I wasn't asked to have it weighed at any of the 4 airports that I departed from. I also took a smaller Nikon bag (about $20 at the time of purchase) which I folded up in my luggage - I used this for the day trips as I didn't always need to have all my lenses on me at the one time.

Brian500au
27-04-2014, 6:08am
In my own experience all airlines treat carry on slightly different. At times I have been asked to weigh my carry on (and get it tagged) at check in, at other times (especially in Melbourne) when I have gone into passport control area. Other times it has never been checked - although one time they were checking size as we were boarding and those too big were asked to leave them to be checked in. This particularly happens on smaller connecting flights.

I have always slung a body and lens over my shoulder (and given the second body and lens to my wife if necessary). I have carried my laptop in either a second bag or once again just carried it through until I am at the gate. When I am inside the plane I put everything back in my carry on bag and stow it away. Now I only carry a lowepro 200 slingshot but it easily carries three lenses and a body.

Do not put anything valuable in your check on - apart from the chance of getting stolen your baggage could get lost. I speak from experience.

Glenda
27-04-2014, 6:48am
"Did they have any issues with that?"
None whatsoever.

bushbikie
27-04-2014, 10:53am
Can't offer any advice on what brand/style bag to think about getting but please consider the weight/size restrictions for ALL of the airlines that you will be using to get to/from your destination. Maybe also consider future trips as well?
Enjoy Botswana!

Morgo
27-04-2014, 11:53am
In my own experience all airlines treat carry on slightly different. At times I have been asked to weigh my carry on (and get it tagged) at check in, at other times (especially in Melbourne) when I have gone into passport control area. Other times it has never been checked - although one time they were checking size as we were boarding and those too big were asked to leave them to be checked in. This particularly happens on smaller connecting flights.

I have always slung a body and lens over my shoulder (and given the second body and lens to my wife if necessary). I have carried my laptop in either a second bag or once again just carried it through until I am at the gate. When I am inside the plane I put everything back in my carry on bag and stow it away. Now I only carry a lowepro 200 slingshot but it easily carries three lenses and a body.

Do not put anything valuable in your check on - apart from the chance of getting stolen your baggage could get lost. I speak from experience.

Unfortunately there is just no way I can get around not putting some valuable gear, like tripod & head and other stuff in the checked bag. I think I'll keep a few batteries out now though and one charger. 4 batts and one charger will keep the 7d and 5d running for the trip if the checked bag goes missing.

I @ M
27-04-2014, 6:23pm
Hello,

I was wondering what people here have used camera bag wise as a carry on bag when flying international?
An upcoming trip has me wanting a good size camera bag that needs to fit the carry on bag requirements, Qantas, while still carrying a good amount of gear.

Just thought I would post my solution.
It contains a tripod, remote shutter release, 2 extra batteries, 6 SD cards, a netbook 'puter thingy, 4 pairs of shorts, 4 T shirts, "toiletries", a pair of sandals, battery chargers for the phone, camera and netbook as well as the requisite international plug adaptor, paperwork and other minor goodies.

Well within carry on size limits, weighs a tad under 9kg, cost $15.00, has survived 3 trips and is packed for another trip in 10 days time.

The camera fits in my pocket. :D
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9582534/Fuji_20130705_152650.jpg

MissionMan
27-04-2014, 8:42pm
Unfortunately there is just no way I can get around not putting some valuable gear, like tripod & head and other stuff in the checked bag. I think I'll keep a few batteries out now though and one charger. 4 batts and one charger will keep the 7d and 5d running for the trip if the checked bag goes missing.

Tripod is fine. It's what baggage handlers can hide in their clothing or perceive as valuable. Most would consider electronic items valuable. You may not be allowed to check batteries depending on what they are.

crafty1tutu
07-05-2014, 4:30pm
We are going to South Africa in August and I am taking two cameras with me. One camera will have a 100-400 lens attached, but the other will probably have a 17-35 lens as some of the animals in Kruger on our last trip were so close to the road that the 100-400 couldn't get the whole animal in the frame. I have an old roll along bag that I will be taking and it will probably be a couple of kilos overweight for carry on with Qantas. Did you know that you can buy more weight from Qantas cheaper than what you would be charged at the airport? I was told this when I was speaking to someone at Qantas and also found it on their Frequent Flyer site. You can also pay for it with your Frequent Flyer points. I will probably ring them in a few weeks (after I weigh my bag with everything packed).

Morgo
07-05-2014, 7:35pm
We are going to South Africa in August and I am taking two cameras with me. One camera will have a 100-400 lens attached, but the other will probably have a 17-35 lens as some of the animals in Kruger on our last trip were so close to the road that the 100-400 couldn't get the whole animal in the frame. I have an old roll along bag that I will be taking and it will probably be a couple of kilos overweight for carry on with Qantas. Did you know that you can buy more weight from Qantas cheaper than what you would be charged at the airport? I was told this when I was speaking to someone at Qantas and also found it on their Frequent Flyer site. You can also pay for it with your Frequent Flyer points. I will probably ring them in a few weeks (after I weigh my bag with everything packed).

I'd double check this info. From what I have seen on the Qantas site its over $280 from memory for just 5kg, no mention that this is carry on and I highly suspect its checked bags only. It also does not mention if its return so would appear to be 1 way.
So $560 for just 5kg is a bit steep IMO.

- - - Updated - - -
http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/prepaid-additional-baggage/global/en#pre-purchased-additional-baggage-allowance

griffljg
07-05-2014, 7:39pm
I have used a Lowepro Fastpack 250 for many years and have never been questioned about it on either international or local flights. - Just asked to remove my MacBook Pro from the bag before sending it through the x-ray machines.

Morgo
09-05-2014, 5:17pm
Cheers everyone, at this point I think I'm going to go with a Gura Gear Bataflae 32L.

billy4030
09-05-2014, 5:25pm
Have been looking at Fastpack 250 or even 350 of late. My flipside 15l is getting a bit small.
Ouch, I just looked at B&H on the price of that Gura Gear. Lot of money for a bag.

brownie
09-05-2014, 8:59pm
I have been using a Fastpack 350 for about 4 years now and it’s a great travel pack. I used an indelible marker to black out the Lowpro logo so that it’s not instantly recognisable as a camera bag.

It suits my travel purposes due to its ability to take a full size laptop, DSLR camera and lenses/accessories, travel documents, a drink and still able to fit under the seat in front of me in an aircraft if the overheads are full.

At first I thought the tapered top portion of the pack only reduced the volume of the pack but it causes the pack to wedge in nicely in overheads or provide a foot rest on some older aircraft that have restricted under-seat capacity.

crafty1tutu
10-05-2014, 3:26pm
I still haven't checked the weight of my bag, but I think I had better do so and see what Qantas says. I may have to wear my camera and lens around my neck LOL. I just checked the Qantas site and you have to buy excess baggage in 5 KG lots at a cost of $70 per 5 KG. Mine would only be 1 or 2 at the most, so I might put a couple of my lenses in my shootsac which I use as a handbag when travelling.

Morgo
10-05-2014, 9:44pm
I still haven't checked the weight of my bag, but I think I had better do so and see what Qantas says. I may have to wear my camera and lens around my neck LOL. I just checked the Qantas site and you have to buy excess baggage in 5 KG lots at a cost of $70 per 5 KG. Mine would only be 1 or 2 at the most, so I might put a couple of my lenses in my shootsac which I use as a handbag when travelling.

You need to look down a little further on the Qantas site, its $280 for 5kg when traveling to south Africa, which is likely to be paid both ways and probably only applies to checked bags. The $70 is only for a short trip like to New Zealand.

- - - Updated - - -

Have been looking at Fastpack 250 or even 350 of late. My flipside 15l is getting a bit small.
Ouch, I just looked at B&H on the price of that Gura Gear. Lot of money for a bag.
Yeah its a little pricey but said to be very good, plus its light weight for the amount it allows.

crafty1tutu
20-05-2014, 5:22pm
Thanks for letting me know. We have solved the situation - my hubby wasn't going to take a carry on bag at first, but is now going to do so with some of my gear in it - problem solved. I also read the comment about carrying a camera and lens over your shoulder and I might do that as I like to take photos out of the plane when taking off and landing.