PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Release delay when Flash fitted

ROA44
04-04-2014, 9:44am
I have been trying to resolve an issue which occurs when I have my Metz Speedlite fitted to my D5000. There is about a two second delay from when pushing the shutter release button and the activation of the shutter and flash but not sure if this is normal. I have looked at the settings but can't workout how to resolve this issue.

Thank you for your assistance.

arthurking83
04-04-2014, 12:31pm
very strange!

can't help on specifics tho.

What model Metz? is it a generic type of some type from yesteryear, is it a Nikon specific modern type?

I'm assuming that you have no other external flash to try either.
Do you get any delay if you use the onboard flash?

The other question is, I thought you also purchased a new camera too(D600 possibly) :confused013

if so, does it produce the same issue.

I @ M
04-04-2014, 1:00pm
Possible cause is that the camera is set to "rear curtain slow synch" or "auto slow synch", check those settings and see what is showing. :)

ROA44
04-04-2014, 1:06pm
Hi Arthur,

I'm using a Metz mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital. I do admit haven't had much time of late to read as thoroughly the manual as I need to. I have the Flash set on auto at the moment and the camera on manual, WB in flash mode.

I have just re tried and noticed it now gives off three pre flashes before the shutter releases with the flash going off which I haven't noticed before so will still do a bit more reading in the mean time but thought someone might have one and help fill in a few extra details.

Thank you.

PS thank you Andrew will follow up on those and also recheck any delay settings again later have to go out again.

Cheers

Mark L
04-04-2014, 8:26pm
No expert here, however, I have a thought.
Those "pre flashes" suggest you have the lens on AF, and the camera will not take the photo 'til the focus is set. the "pre flashes" are helping to find focus.
Turn lens to manual focus and see if there is no flash delay.
Someone correct any wrong info above please.

ROA44
04-04-2014, 9:09pm
set to manual currently I get 3 quick flashes when shutter pressed and then shutter and flash activate which is what happens on auto focus as well.

looking at manual at the moment

ROA44
05-04-2014, 8:23am
Deeeeeer, Well red eye function was switched on looks like resolved thank you for input cheers.