PDA

View Full Version : First day on this site

Drivermann
31-03-2014, 3:31pm
Hello to all of you,
this is my first day on the site. Whilst I have been involved in photography for many years it's been a long time since I did anything in a serious manner. In the 80's I operated a wedding & portrait business. Family pressures, divorces, marriages, another divorce all worked against me being seriously involved in photography. There are only so many times you end up losing half your photo equipment plus other goods and chattel during property settlement.
In 2005 I bought my first digital camera, a Fiji Finepix bridge camera. It died so I bought a better Fiji Finepix HS10 which I still have. In 2012 prior to a holiday to New York I decided to invest in a DSLR.
I spend many years using Canon 35mm film cameras including the legendary Canon F1 complete with motor drive. I also still have my Mamiya M645.
Naturally my thoughts were to buy a Canon, I considered the 60D. However all the research I did suggested that the Nikon D7000 was a better choice. I spent many sleepless night trying to decide Canon - Nikon Nikon -Canon.

In the end the Nikon D7000 seemed to be a better camera. So I purchased it along with a Nikkor 16-85mm lens.From there a decent telephoto zoom seemed like a good idea. So I bought a Nikkor 70-300mm. From there I bought a Sigma 70mm F2.8 Macro, a Nikkor 50mm F1.8, a trip to Hong Kong saw me return with a Nikkor 18-300mm and a Nikkor 80-400mm. Recently I bought a Nikkor 40mm macro and Tokina 12-28mm wide angle.
Lots of you will say that my range of lenses overlap each other and that is true.

Late in 2013 I upgraded to a Nikon D7100 as my D7000 and 18-300 lens came to grief. The camera/lens and tripod had a parting of the ways and everything landed on a concrete path. Camera and lens both unrepairable.
Fortunately our very good insurance company (SGIC) came to the rescue .:eek:

I also have a pair of Nikon SB-700 strobes.
Photographically I do a lot of close up and macro photography. I'm the administrator of a Facebook page for die cast car collectors so I photograph a lot of model cars. I like after hours (low light) photography and recently started taking photos of flowers and such like.
I have also recently joined a camera club.

Hope you find this interesting.

:nlogo:

ROA44
31-03-2014, 3:47pm
Well welcome to AP and the world of Nikon. spend the time looking around and start posting a few images. Haven't posted much myself as late due to system upgrade and other pressures but hope to very soon once I get my head around lightRoom a bit more, so cheers for now and look froward to seeing some photos real soon.

Mary Anne
31-03-2014, 5:24pm
Hello and Welcome to AP.. Yes a very interesting intro and I will look forward to seeing what you post on the Macro Forum..

Roddy3030
31-03-2014, 5:39pm
Welcome to AP.

ricktas
31-03-2014, 7:50pm
Welcome. Looking forward to seeing some of your photos soon.

Mark L
31-03-2014, 9:56pm
G'day Drivermann.
You've found a good place to play.
Sounds like you'll be able to help others getting into photography.:th3:

..., divorces, marriages, another divorce all worked against me being seriously involved in photography. There are only so many times you end up losing half your photo equipment plus other goods and chattel during property settlement.

:lol2: hope it works out this/next time. Such is life.;) or :(:)

rwg717
31-03-2014, 10:00pm
Hi and welcome to AP:)
Richard

danny
31-03-2014, 10:01pm
Welcome, and thanks for the introduction. The D7000 is a great camera! Enjoy the site and get involved.

Drivermann
01-04-2014, 5:31am
Thanks, all things in life have a way of working out, hopefully for the better.

Wayne63
01-04-2014, 9:33am
Welcome to AP, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

landyvlad
01-04-2014, 6:27pm
Welcome. I'm new here too and its a good place !

Kym
01-04-2014, 7:19pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!