PDA

View Full Version : Ted's have done it again.... Great price on the Tamron SP AF 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD for Nikon

Cage
25-03-2014, 5:53pm
Just gave the Mastercard a jolt for a new Tamron SP AF 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD.

After being highly impressed with the Tamron SP 70-200 f2.8 VC, I decided to get their SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD as well, and thank you to the folk on here who helped me make that decision. It overlaps two Nikon lens that I already have, the 50mm f1.8, sharp, but a bit too 'wavy' for my liking, and the 28mm f1.8 that I love, and will keep. Geez, I think it will be a great 'walk around lens' with the lighter weight and the VC.

After a bit of negotiation with Ted's 'Chat' folk, they came up with a price of $1020.00 plus $9.95 registered Auspost delivery. That's only between about $70.00 and $100 more than 'Grey' market price, and for the sake of a local manufacturer's warranty, and buying from an Oz 'bricks 'n' mortar' store', I'm more than happy to pay the extra. In actual fact, I'm delighted. :D

Can't wait to get it and post some shots from it.

Cargo
25-03-2014, 6:47pm
Looking forward to seeing them :D

Cargo

ameerat42
25-03-2014, 6:49pm
Ah, Ted's! Now look what you've done!

Kevin. Are you sure you weren't after a pizza instead?:rolleyes:

I @ M
25-03-2014, 6:50pm
:th3:
Good to see the locals listening, learning and reacting.

danny
25-03-2014, 6:54pm
Congratulations Kevin, I can't wait to get my hands on the new 24-70.

Great to see Teds competing and well done to the suppliers of the lens for making sure that Ted's are able to compete.

Cheers
Danny

ameerat42
25-03-2014, 6:56pm
OK, so amid all of the gregarious backslapping, may I humbly submit the following heresy: So I wonder what their mark-up is?
That's anyone, not just McCains.

I @ M
25-03-2014, 7:00pm
OK, so amid all of the gregarious backslapping, may I humbly submit the following heresy: So I wonder what their mark-up is?
That's anyone, not just McCains.

After price matching, probably about 5% less than the grey marketers ----

Cage
25-03-2014, 7:09pm
To be brutally honest, I don't give a rats @rse about what their markup may be.

My only interest is in my bottom line, and if that is within cooee of the 'Grey' marketers, I'm more than happy to pay a small premium to support local sellers, AND, to get a local warranty.

To my way of thinking, it was a 'no brainer'.

arthurking83
25-03-2014, 8:41pm
:th3:
Good to see the locals listening, learning and reacting.

+1 :th3:

That's not too far off the price I got mine for(again from a local physical store), and I got mine hurriedly just as the Aussie dollar started to drop quickly against the USD, but was still in the high 90's.
As we all watched the AUD drop like a lead balloon during Dec-Jan, Vanbar(where I got mine) actually had their price about $100 lower than almost all online grey sellers.
But they have since raised their price on this lens too(dunno when), and your quoted price looks more favourable compared to their current price.

I have to say tho .. I'm a bit disappointed in your preferred option in having it delivered tho. I'd have spent the $20-30 on the 200klm round trip to collect one personally.
The drive home may have taken me 10 hours or so to complete .. but it'd have been more visually entertaining once I'd got back.

Cage
25-03-2014, 9:15pm
I have to say tho .. I'm a bit disappointed in your preferred option in having it delivered tho. I'd have spent the $20-30 on the 200klm round trip to collect one personally.
The drive home may have taken me 10 hours or so to complete .. but it'd have been more visually entertaining once I'd got back.

Artie, the 200k round trip was out of the equation as Ted's have closed their Erina Fair store.
It was actually about a 350k round trip to the Sydney big smoke, and the associated problems of parking when I got there.

For $9.50 registered post, as opposed to about $60 for fuel, plus parking costs, it was an easy decision.

arthurking83
25-03-2014, 9:22pm
Aha!

Didn't know this.

bugger the $60 .. I'm happy to pay it just for the sake of the drive.

It's just the idea of having to travel to a big smoke that would turn me orf.

BTW, I have to say I'm happy to pay any amount of money to GET AWAY from my big smoke .. with the caveat that I have some money to spend!
(broke ATM as I've been unemployed for wayyyy too long).

Mary Anne
25-03-2014, 9:25pm
Congrats on that new Lens Kevin, its great to see another Member buying from an Aussie bricks and mortar store, Well Done :2encou:
Will look forward to seeing photos from it in the Forums.

Cage
28-03-2014, 11:30am
Well, it has just arrived.

It sure is a chunk of a thing. When it stops drizzling I will try it out.

Cheers

deef
28-03-2014, 4:20pm
Looking fprward to seeing your thoughts and results with this combination. I am looking for a lens in that zoom range for my D600 and have yet to make a decision.

Have fun with the new toy. :D

cupic
18-08-2014, 1:46pm
I too have purchased this Tamron from George's and for the price its fantastic.Had a quick look at B&H photo and was stunned at the price very overpriced.So the wait will be short perhaps tomorrow or Wed before I have it.

cheers

bitsnpieces
22-08-2014, 5:54pm
So any tips for talking to the people at Ted's to get cheaper deals?

I @ M
22-08-2014, 6:44pm
So any tips for talking to the people at Ted's to get cheaper deals?

Wear your best aftershave, smile sweetly at the salesperson and suggest a cosy lunch or after work drinks at the trendiest cafe / restaurant nearby. ;)

cupic
15-02-2015, 5:44pm
As of today $AU1640 for this lens in the US
I tip my hats to any Aus retailers the price is gold

cheers

antony
15-02-2015, 6:03pm
Wear your best aftershave, smile sweetly at the salesperson and suggest a cosy lunch or after work drinks at the trendiest cafe / restaurant nearby. ;)
Does it actually work?

I @ M
15-02-2015, 6:53pm
Does it actually work?

You will never know until you give it a go ----- :rolleyes: