PDA

View Full Version : Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 with canon 60, focusing problem!

Ragsy
22-02-2014, 1:46pm
Hi All

I'm using a canon 60D with a wide angle Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 and seem to have a few problems when focusing. It can't seem to focus on a point in the photo. The lens just seems to give up because it can't focus, has anyone else had this problem with the Tokina lens?

Thanks Guys

Ian Brewster
22-02-2014, 3:14pm
I have absolutely no expertise in this area, but I was advised by a chap who imports gear that with these "after-market" lenses, there is characteristically a +/-3% tolerance (in focusing?) and he advised if I was buying one, to check on my camera first. Maybe this is the cause?

Ian

nimrodisease
22-02-2014, 6:21pm
I use a Tokina 11-16 on my Nikon D90 and have never had a single issue. Most of the time I manual focus anyway (for landscapes), but I do autofocus from time to time.

vinhtee
22-02-2014, 6:34pm
Just throwing it out there: Aftermarket lens compatibility can be a grey area. Take Sony for example, there was a certain line of Sigma lenses which were hopeless with AF functions on Sony Alpha bodies. It took a firmware update to fix it and it was all fine and dandy after that. Have you googled whether or not other people have the same issue as you?

Mark L
23-02-2014, 12:08am
It seems to be a reasonable lens that you shouldn't have a problem with a 60D.

.... Have you googled whether or not other people have the same issue as you?
Try that.
Of cause there's the occasional dud, so maybe you just need to return it and get another one.

Tman
23-02-2014, 2:30am
Try changing your AF from auto to centre point, a friend of mine had the same problem as you with this lens on a 7D, this is what Tokina advised and this solved the problem for him.
Glenn

graham68ktm
23-02-2014, 2:39am
Gday Ragsy , ive been using the tokina 11-16 for a while on timelapses and some landscape photo's and haven't noticed any problems ! im fairly new to photography but I think it's a great lens !

wmvaux
23-02-2014, 3:17am
Make sure the lens isn't in manual mode, make sure the focus ring collar is pushed forward to auto mode.