PDA

View Full Version : Please Help - I think I fried my camera!!

danny
18-02-2014, 7:52pm
I hope that I have simply pressed a button without knowing it… but I think it is a lot worse than that.

I left my D7000 in the car today and when I got it out after work to use it it does't seemed to work correctly. When I press the shutter button it takes a photo but reads an error message (err) on the top screen. I press the button again and the error message goes away. When the error message is there the shutter is closed.

So in summery, what I think happens is that the camera is able to take a photo and then the shutter closes again until I repress the shutter button.

Can anyone please HELP!!!!!

Danny

Lance B
18-02-2014, 8:04pm
Try pulling out the battery and re-inserting it.

danny
18-02-2014, 8:11pm
cheers Lance, I've tried that.

RJD
18-02-2014, 9:40pm
You could try downloading the latest firmware updates and installing them, if your menu functions still work. This is a stab in the dark, maybe someone else who knows a bit more can give us an opinion on doing this?

fillum
18-02-2014, 10:11pm
It's not in mirror lock up mode or something like that is it? (Although I wouldn't expect an err code in that case).

J.davis
18-02-2014, 10:32pm
Check the lens contacts, clean them with an eraser.
Mine got a bit dirty and the camera wont focus, so it wont work. Also it wont recognize the lens fitted.

danny
18-02-2014, 10:45pm
Phil - that was my first thought … cheers

John - good idea I'll have a look right now!

cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Check the lens contacts, clean them with an eraser.
Mine got a bit dirty and the camera wont focus, so it wont work. Also it wont recognize the lens fitted.

John I wish there was a "Thanks for the advise, you have saved my bacon" button. THANK YOU it worked :lol::D:)

Damn I love this site!!!
Danny

arthurking83
18-02-2014, 10:46pm
A plain and simple err msg on the top LCD usually means that the card inserted has issues.
That's generally the major issue, but not the only one.

To see if this is the problem, take the card out and try to take a shot.
If you haven't played with the default settings too much, the camera is usually set(by default) to allow exposures without a memory card. And it stores them in the RAM memory, and can't be saved anywhere, but can be seen on the review screen.

if this doesn't help, it could also be something else easy to fix.

Don't stress until you've tried all the easy checklists.