PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good monitor?

danny
31-01-2014, 10:33pm
I've started looking at monitors to hook up to my Mac Book Pro for photo editing and realised that I know relatively little about what makes a good one. So I thought I'd ask some AP advise.

What should I look for?

Does anyone recommend one that is great value (cheap without being you know…. cheap) ?

Cheers
danny

ROA44
01-02-2014, 12:32am
Can't help you to much but there have been a number of good threads relating to monitors in the past.

I recently purchased an LG IPS LED 23EA53 for around $180's and there is an incredible differences compared to the old second hand ones I am still running so depending on how much you are wanting to spend the IPS series are generally recommended. I know a number of members have been looking at an HP Model but not sure off hand which one it was but I think it was a bit dearer. so good hunting and I'm sure others can help a little more

Mark L
01-02-2014, 11:34pm
So Danny, I don't have a clue.:)
If you don't get more response here in f/stop, maybe consider reposting your question here ..... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?29-Technology-Hardware-amp-Software;)

nimrodisease
02-02-2014, 10:15am
I was lucky in that I was able to get an Eizo ColorEdge monitor second hand, and it is a terrific monitor but I don't know that I could ever come at the RRP!

Judyd
03-02-2014, 10:35pm
Hi Danny we bought the Samsung S27B970 27in Widescreen PLS Monitor in October 2012. We absolutely love it - cost close to $1000 by the time it was shipped but all the research suggested it was the next best thing to the lower end Eizo but not the same price tag. All the tests rated it very well. We've had no trouble and colour and brightness is excellent. I print very little so haven't really tested it to the fullest but the small amount I've done has been fine.
Judy

arthurking83
04-02-2014, 11:26pm
I've started looking at monitors to hook up to my Mac Book Pro for photo editing and realised that I know relatively little about what makes a good one. So I thought I'd ask some AP advise.

What should I look for?

Does anyone recommend one that is great value (cheap without being you know…. cheap) ?

Cheers
danny

define cheap.

everyone has varying degrees of affordability/justification points.

how large. larger is better!(always true of screens)

in the $800 range(which is actually cheap .. but only if the finances are available) Dell u2713.

in the $400 range(which is cheap but not .. cheap ;)) LG 27EA63V - P($359 @ MSY) large screen, low res(@1920 tho)