PDA

View Full Version : Camera for travelling

acko
31-01-2014, 1:04pm
Need some sdvice on this one.

I will be travelling to Europe later this year for a sporting event and will be carrying as little as possible.
I would like to take the DSLR, but it will probably be a little bulky for my needs.
Can anyone (preferably who has had personal experience) recommend a small pocket sized digital camera.
Price is not that important - I want something that will deliver top quality shots, within the limitations of a compact camera.

ROA44
31-01-2014, 1:34pm
Can you tell us if you have a price range your looking at.

As you can imagine eg the Nikon N1 or other brand equivalents could be a good alternative as these have interchangeable lenses available but price may restrict you. Other wise most of the higher end P&S are very good

Good hunting

ameerat42
01-02-2014, 3:27pm
...and what sporting event?

bricat
02-02-2014, 8:45am
I have the canon G2 (my first digital camera) and G11 and find them to be very good providing you don't want to make large prints. A4 turn out good. I think they are up to G15 now so the quality and technology keep getting better. My other half took video of the fountains outside the Bellagio in Las Vegas and it came out very good on the computer. cheers Brian

fabian628
03-02-2014, 3:03pm
do you need a telephoto lens?

I would buy an EOS M with the pancake lens if I had to take a small camera.

calloyd
03-02-2014, 5:14pm
I have a Sony NEX 6 (twin lens kit) which I've taken on trips to Vietnam and Indonesia and been very happy with. For my trip to Vietnam I also bought a pocket sized Sony RX100 (M1) and found it great to carry around. Both have excellent IQ, are light and a pleasure to use. I haven't picked up my Canon since buying the NEX 6. Well, I've picked it up then immediately put it down after feeling how heavy it is so at the moment it's gathering dust!

I found that some (but not all) of the RX100 photos are slightly noisier than the NEX 6 but I tend to be a bit of a pixel peeper.

I bought the RX100 duty free at the airport - I sometimes find it difficult to resist buying new cameras :)

Old Skool
03-02-2014, 6:26pm
Plus one for the Sony Nex 6 as a small lightweight travel camera - big issue may be sports photos? What type of event is it? If you need a fast tracking AF then the Nex is lacking in this regard as it can hunt for focus trying to track something fast moving, you can work around this shooting with manual focus and it's 10 fps will certainly get the action. It has the added bonus of wifi so you can upload pics straight to Ipad / smart phone and you can also use them as a remote viewfinder / shutter.

CarlR
03-02-2014, 7:05pm
See my post #9 in the following link.

http://http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?119658-Light-weight-travel-kit&highlight=travel+kit (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?119658-Light-weight-travel-kit&highlight=travel+kit)

I took my DSLR and a selection of lenses, which, whilst being a bit of a load to carry around, meant I had the flexibility to react to the environment, circumstance and conditions. Given our travel arrangements and accommodation, this worked out OK.

In your case, it will depend on what you are planning, where you are going and the type and use of the shots you intend to capture.

William W
05-02-2014, 5:44am
"Camera for travelling"

I will be travelling to Europe later this year for a sporting event and will be carrying as little as possible.
I would like to take the DSLR, but it will probably be a little bulky for my needs.
Can anyone (preferably who has had personal experience) recommend a small pocket sized digital camera.
Price is not that important - I want something that will deliver top quality shots, within the limitations of a compact camera.

Canon SX280HS is worth a close look.

If you just mean you want "a camera for travelling" then the Fuji x100s is worth a look too, but you'll need a slightly bigger pocket.

WW

acko
07-02-2014, 2:49am
The sporting event is the Dragon Boat International event in Revenna, Italy. I will be close enough to the action to get some good shots without the need for my telephoto lenses like on my EOS cameras. That is only a small part of the trip, with much travelling to do and a lot of landscapes, churches, old buildings to photograph. Plus a visit to Marinello to see the Ferrari museum, of course!
Thanks for all the suggestions - appreciate the input.

tarwoona
10-02-2014, 6:06pm
+1 for the Sony RX100
I am a Canon user, but needed a compact camera for convenience as i travel a lot for work.
After a lot of online homework the RX100 looked to be the go. And can say i have not been disapointed.

Really great camera for a compact, and i see there is now a RX100 mk2 that is meant to be a little better

Babu
11-02-2014, 12:58am
Have you considered the Canon G1X?
It takes 14 bit raw images and has f/2.8 capability with a Digic 5 processor.
It won't match a 1Dx or a 7D for burst speed but what frame rate do you need for dragon boats - it's not like water ski-ing or snow-boarding!
I'm sure it would more than do justice to the other aspects of your trip given that you don't want to carry a DSLR & a selection of lenses as a result of its
decent low-light capability and 14.3 MP sensor.

acko
04-03-2014, 1:12am
Thanks for that.
I like Canon products, so the G1X just might be the one to go and look at.

BA

acko
31-08-2014, 3:18pm
Well, I finished up going over to the dark side and buying a Sony RX100 Mark 3.
It looks like it might be the go, and the few photos that I have taken so far are well within expectations.
Heading off to Italy and I am sure it will get a good work out.

jjphoto
31-08-2014, 6:51pm
I've come back from 6 weeks overseas with just a Sony RX100M2 and I've been very happy with it overall. It's not perfect however and my daughters Canon G16 (although only 12Mpixels) seems to have the edge in some practical respects such as a longer and faster lens at the telephoto end (28 – 140 mm (equiv), f/1.8-f/2.8 on the G16 compared to 28-100mm (equiv), f/1.8-4.9 on the RX100M2). Good luck with the M3.

Josefino
02-10-2019, 11:53am
If price is not an issue, go with the Canon 5D. Brilliant!