PDA

View Full Version : Colormunki

milesy
20-01-2014, 12:24pm
Hi all
Has anyone used the colormunki for both calibrating screens as well as creating printer profiles ??

I would be interested in hearing about how it all works if you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsv1
20-01-2014, 12:43pm
Hi Milesy,
I use a colour munki for both, it works ok but it still depends on your screen and what you print, I have a 27" iMac with a semi glossy screen and I only print in matt not gloss so the prints never look exactly the same. Well I do print gloss from an epson r800 but I have never calibrated it to the screen only my 7600. It certainly does help get the colours close though esp if you use different papers.
David

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Milesy,
I use a colour munki for both, it works ok but it still depends on your screen and what you print, I have a 27" iMac with a semi glossy screen and I only print in matt not gloss so the prints never look exactly the same. Well I do print gloss from an epson r800 but I have never calibrated it to the screen only my 7600. It certainly does help get the colours close though esp if you use different papers.
David

milesy
20-01-2014, 12:47pm
Ok thanks for your reply ... My main function is that we have s number of different printers and the same image printed on a different printer produces markedly different results and would like to get them to be the same ( or at least very similar) its just a bit of cash to lay out so I want to know it works before buying one

JM Tran
20-01-2014, 12:52pm
Have been using it for a few years now, much better than Spyders and cheaper stuff that I started out with in terms of accuracy and functions.

Use it purely for monitors at home and studio, on Dell Ultrasharp Premier Color monitors on 24 and 27 inch. I only do my client printings at commercial printer so never at home, always accurate and never had a problem.

milesy
20-01-2014, 12:53pm
Thanks JM have you ever created a printer colour profile ?

JM Tran
20-01-2014, 1:01pm
No sorry I havent, as I do not possess a quality one at home, more cost effective for me to print it at the company:)

milesy
20-01-2014, 1:02pm
Ok thanks

davsv1
20-01-2014, 1:06pm
With printer profiles you can also take a profile you have created and used and load another photo you want to print into the software and refine your profile by printing another swatch to scan with the munki so theoretically it gets better all the time with each new photo you choose to redo it for, of course you must make a new profile for a new paper or printer, each profile is specific for each paper or printer.
The profiles are better than the canned profiles I've used.

milesy
20-01-2014, 1:07pm
Ok trouble with the canned profiles is they aren't always available for 'no name ' paper

JM Tran
20-01-2014, 1:49pm
No sorry I havent, as I do not possess a quality one at home, more cost effective for me to print it at the company:)

jev
23-01-2014, 8:01am
I use one on my iMAC and Canon PIXMA Pro 9000 MkII. The screen from the iMAC is pretty hard to calibrate, due to the high gloss it's pretty sensitive to environmental conditions. I have to really close out all natural light to get consistent results.

On the printer, I use several types of paper. I created profiles for all of them and redo the profiles when changing inks. The output is pretty consistent. Note I mostly print a slightly blue tinted B/W, but the color prints are quite good too.

When creating printer profiles from a MAC, you need to disable colormanagement which needs some trickery when printing on a Canon printer - check out here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34105159

milesy
23-01-2014, 8:24am
Thanks for your input Jev do you know if the same issue exists printing from windows ?

ricktas
23-01-2014, 4:45pm
Ok trouble with the canned profiles is they aren't always available for 'no name ' paper

If you are seeking the best quality output, which this thread suggests, i would not recommend using no-name paper.

milesy
23-01-2014, 6:26pm
Thanks I do understand that but for what we use the no name paper for its ok except for the colour shifts when printing hence the profile

jev
24-01-2014, 8:09am
do you know if the same issue exists printing from windows ?
I don't know how windows 7 and 8 do it, but in XP you could disable color profiles from the OS. I never print photo's from windows, so YMMV.