PDA

View Full Version : Composition/cropping. For you or us?

Mark L
14-01-2014, 12:11pm
This quote by CAP got me thinking ;
“Thanks for the comments Mark, funny you say that about the portrait crops, I actually have edits cropped this way and personally prefer them.
Haven't posted because they are a lot tighter than most here appreciate.”

It was in response to a cropping suggestion I made.

Do you crop and present your photos in the way you like, or are you influenced by how you think others would like to see them?

Granville
14-01-2014, 12:22pm
I crop and present them in a way that I like them. Then, if someone comes up with a suggestion I think is worth a try, I'll try it. That's why I post in a Constructive Critique forum.
:)
But it will still finally end up how I like it. Not how others like it.

Ionica
14-01-2014, 12:24pm
Generally - the way I like.

ricktas
14-01-2014, 1:17pm
Definitely the way I like them. Often, being a landscaper, I crop to remove stuff on the edges that I did not want in the scene, but using my widey, sometimes you just have to have it in the frame to get the shot, knowing that it will be cropped.

ameerat42
14-01-2014, 1:56pm
Basically, the way I think they look "best" at the time. Then I consider any other opinions given.
Am.

JoPho
14-01-2014, 2:11pm
Crop trying to keep compositional "rules" in mind and to emphasise the important features.
Sometimes it goes out of whack when there's distractional junk in the image.

I quite like cutting off the top of people's heads, but have kept them on, against my better judgement, to please others here.

JJM
14-01-2014, 2:22pm
Always do what I think but I am always open to suggestion.

bowjac
14-01-2014, 9:50pm
I always crop for composition.
I also posted heavily cropped photos, and was critiqued saying that the context was cut out. That person was right, and realised I was in a rut of tight cropping. I probably present a wider variety of images now, as a result.

Glenda
15-01-2014, 8:47am
Initially to suit my taste but as I still consider myself in the LOTS to learn phase I am very influenced by others' opinions and am more than willing to try their suggestions.

Stingray
15-01-2014, 1:36pm
yepp.. pretty much crop for composition, but then that's also how I like them :)
I'll play with the "crop" for a bit until I think the composition is good and goes well with the subject matter :)

Kym
15-01-2014, 2:38pm
Do you crop and present your photos in the way you like, or are you influenced by how you think others would like to see them?

I crop to make the subject stand out; which generally means the best impact.
It is a balancing act between subject, the so called negative space, and context.

jev
15-01-2014, 10:49pm
I crop to make the subject stand out; which generally means the best impact.
Perfect answer Kym, that's what I do too.

For example: cropping part of a face can significantly change the impact of the image, it usually stresses connection with the subject. And that goes for almost anything.

ROA44
15-01-2014, 11:50pm
Another good thread has set me thinking on I, How & why I will crop an image in the future it is these type of threads that stretch my thinking. There was one a while ago " Trophy Fish " which was quite different in the way it had been processed and I revisiting it to get a better feel for the photo. Also Tannins thread on the 24-70 lens which brought out some great info. and points of view. Now all I have to do is try to get out and try things a bit more.

fillum
16-01-2014, 12:13pm
I quite like cutting off the top of people's heads:eek: I'm glad I'm on the other side of the country Jo. I'd suggest you stick to photography, otherwise you could get yourself into some serious trouble...:D

fillum
16-01-2014, 1:53pm
It's a good question Mark, and I think a similar question also applies to most aspects of our images - composition, lighting, processing (especially) and even subject matter. I generally do what I think works best for the image, and I'm not averse to cropping through heads or body parts if it helps focus attention on what I'm trying to show. I do tend to stick with "standard" frame ratios (4x6, 5x7, etc) but I don't really have a particular reason for doing so as I rarely print anything :confused013.

Of course there are exceptions, particularly with subjects like family stuff, where the ideal framing (from an image perspective) might be compromised to keep a family member in the image, etc...

Cheers.

lenscap
17-01-2014, 12:14am
I crop to create the finished image as I wanted it but am always interested to see an other opinion. I may take on board their suggestion if I feel it enhances my photo.