PDA

View Full Version : Magic lantern and damage to cameras??

Ragsy
09-01-2014, 10:03pm
Hey all,

After reading a bit about Magic Lantern for canon cameras I have noticed that it mentions that developers are not liable for any damage to a device.

My question is can devices be damaged by using programs like this on cameras?? Or are they just covering themselves?

Thanks Ragsy

arthurking83
09-01-2014, 10:22pm
With my(limited) understanding of how Magic Lantern's firmware works, they're just covering themselves.

The biggest issue with loading a non genuine firmware is the risk of bricking the device.
But ML runs from the memory card, not loaded into the cameras memory module. So if the camera locks up, you take out the card and the camera works as per normal.

As for hardware damages??? It's safe to assume that the manufacturer has limits imposed on what the devices hardware can and can't (physically) achieve.
On the lower end devices, these limitations will surely be a marketing exercise, more than a physical hardware limit.
But if there is any option to push hardware further, for the purpose of achieving greater results in some form, then you could run into trouble.

Ragsy
09-01-2014, 10:50pm
Thanks for your reply.

Much helpful.

Ragsy

unistudent1962
10-01-2014, 11:41am
I've been using LM on a 60D and 550D for a couple of years now with no problems at all. Most used features for me are the magnified focussing and audio monitoring when videoing the kids' stage performances.

Roosta
10-01-2014, 3:13pm
I've been using LM on a 60D and 550D for a couple of years now with no problems at all. Most used features for me are the magnified focussing and audio monitoring when videoing the kids' stage performances.

Sorry to but in, Mark - How well does the magnification work? and is that on the 60D as I've towed with the idea of putting ML on 50D. I use Liveview a lot for landscape work.

Cheers

Ragsy
13-01-2014, 11:38pm
Thanks all for your contribution

Another question for you guys that use it, how did u manage to copy ML to a SD card?? Can you use a card reader or does that only read the cards?

Ragsy

ameerat42
14-01-2014, 12:00am
Ragsy. Yes. That's right. Usually, you copy it to the root directory of the card, so, if for example, your card
shows up as Drive E: on your computer, put ML in a folder structure that will look like:
E:\ML.

That is, of course, unless the instructions tell you to do something else. Then follow your camera instructions for how to load and run it
for use in the camera.

Am.

Ragsy
14-01-2014, 6:17pm
thanks Am

how do you copy it?? with a card reader, will a card reader write onto the card or only read it??

ameerat42
14-01-2014, 6:21pm
With a card reader(/writer). So it's too long to say card-reader/writer, so...
Hook it up. It acts like a disk drive. Copy the files onto it (the root directory), and
put the card back into your camera. Anyway, you can just hook the camera direct to the computer with USB, too.
Am.

GTV6FLETCH
28-01-2014, 11:42am
I have run it on my 60D and 5DII for a year or 2 now and love it ,would not be with out it.

Fedgrub
28-01-2014, 10:28pm
I have only heard of people having problems when they've created te problems themselves.

fenderstrat1963
29-01-2014, 10:54am
Agreed - I installed it for my 60D as well and have had no problems at all

Abby Eagle
13-04-2014, 9:43am
I have installed the basic Magic Lantern version and the RAW version about a dozen times now. The only problems i had was the camera going dead and having to remove the battery and the card. But all is well. Yesterday the sensor overheating icon came on after the camera had been switched on for an hour. that is the first time i had the sensor overheating problem. The reason why the guys give the big disclaimer is to protect themselves legally - if you install Magic Lantern then you need to take full responsibility but from what i have read on the Internet and my own experience so far there does not seem to be any real danger with ML. Hope this helps.

GoldZilla
21-04-2014, 3:22am
I tried installling Magic Lantern on my 60D a few months back and couldn't get it working. However, it was really late (or, more precisely, really early the next morning) and I was tired and in a rush to get it done so I could go to sleep, so I might have missed a step or two.

Going to try again soon, and see if I can get it working properly.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried installling Magic Lantern on my 60D a few months back and couldn't get it working. However, it was really late (or, more precisely, really early the next morning) and I was tired and in a rush to get it done so I could go to sleep, so I might have missed a step or two.

Going to try again soon, and see if I can get it working properly.

Grant S
22-04-2014, 9:01am
This looks interesting. I shoot with a 500D and note theres a port for that body.

From those who use it, what are the long exposure benefits? The wiki has some info but not much specific to the 500D.

bes
24-04-2014, 9:53pm
This looks interesting. I shoot with a 500D and note theres a port for that body.

From those who use it, what are the long exposure benefits? The wiki has some info but not much specific to the 500D.

I have on the 1100d and with mine you set "bulb" to basically as long as you like. I'm not sure what else apart from maybe the Intervalometer and advanced bracket controls that may help long exposures.

- - - Updated - - -

I have on the 1100d and with mine you set "bulb" to basically as long as you like. I'm not sure what else apart from maybe the Intervalometer and advanced bracket controls that may help long exposures.

Mr Felix
25-04-2014, 11:27am
If this thread is still alive, I have just installed it and it works fine for me.

A couple of things to note:

Format the card in your camera - as per instructions.

Insert card in computer.

Copy files to the card's root directory.

EJECT the card. (I"m using XP and you open the drive list and right click the disc and scroll to EJECT")

Put it in camera, "updates software" let it run.

You see a screen saying it is done, and that's it.

FenderFan
10-08-2014, 10:15pm
I have ran ML on my 600d for over a year no problem, great for taking photos of lightning.

hdn177
17-08-2014, 9:28am
Yup old thread but I also never had issues with my 60D :D