PDA

View Full Version : Boot device query?

davidd
28-12-2013, 10:34am
My computer (Dell laptop running Win7 Pro) has suddenly started asking me to specify the boot device every time it boots.
I have attached a screen shot of the box that pops up.

I have checked that there is nothing in the DVD drive. I have several times gone into the setup and checked the boot order, and it is correct (Boot from Hard Drive).
If I press ESC it boots normally using the Hard Drive (default).

Any ideas how I can get this to stop? :confused013

Thanks for any help.

ricktas
28-12-2013, 11:10am
Umm. depending on your BIOS, there could be another setting that states something like 'ask for boot device at start-up' y/n

Some have it, some BIOS do not have it.

Also it could be a loose connection to your HDD, so if you are capable, open it up and trace the cables from the HDD back to the MoBo and check they are securely seated in their sockets at each end.

davidd
28-12-2013, 11:22am
Hi, thanks for the reply.
I have looked through the Setup and couldn't find anything that asks for that setting. I can open the computer to check the drive connections, but the fact that it boots fine if I press ESC I think says that the hardware is OK, it must be something else. Puzzling...

ricktas
28-12-2013, 11:23am
The cabling could be loose, but not loose enough to stop it working, but enough to trigger a message from the BIOS.

davidd
30-12-2013, 12:01pm
After some research and thought I have come to the conclusion that it is a sticking F12 key causing the problem.

Now I have to figure out how to fix it, if it was a desktop I could just buy a new keyboard, not so easy with a laptop.

Update: just found a Dell keyboard to fit my laptop on ebay, Aussie supplier, $25 incl delivery, so I bought one. I can fit it when it arrives, should fix the problem.

davidd
31-12-2013, 3:12pm
A Final follow-up. I ordered a new keyboard (from Broadway Computers in Victoria), amazing service, the keyboard was delivered in less than 24 hours from ordering.
I changed over to the new one (less than 5 mins work) and now all seems fine! Thanks for the help.
Happy New Year to all. :efelant:

ameerat42
31-12-2013, 3:35pm
Reading the early posts I was going to say: battery on the way out. (If that's an issue these days with such laptops.)
Glad it's fixed. A "keyboard error" gremlin.
Am.

tcdev
18-01-2014, 12:16am
Reading the early posts I was going to say: battery on the way out. (If that's an issue these days with such laptops.)
Glad it's fixed. A "keyboard error" gremlin.
Am.

FTR, modern computers do not require a battery to sustain BIOS settings; they're stored in EEPROM or FLASH memory that retain their contents when powered-down.

To be honest, a stuck F12 key would not have occurred to me at all - or at least for a very long time - so kudos to davidd for diagnosing that!