PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Greetings from beautiful Boolarra in Gippsland Victoria.

pwcollins
25-12-2013, 11:55am
What a fantastic resource this website is for someone getting back in to photography after studying it at art school over 30 years ago! Because this is my first DSLR ( Nikon D90) I consider myself very much a beginner. Previously used a Contax 139 film camera. Have just about got set up with a SB-700 Speedlight, Vanguard Alta 264 AT tripod and GH- 200 pistol grip head. Looking around now for filters and a lever type quick release plate for the tripod. The Really Right Stuff B2 AS 11 would be nice, but I can't afford it. Anyone have any ideas for something solid under $100?

Mary Anne
25-12-2013, 1:12pm
Hello Welcome to AP :action66: and Merry Christmas also..This is a great Place to refresh your memory so join in and post some photo's on the Forums and reply to others.
You could start a Post on the Camera/Lens/Gear Talk Forum about that quick release plate it must be something special for that price.
I looked on line that is a Lever-Release Clamp, I am sure someone will be able to help with similar to RRS, it could be a little slow in coming today though :2smile:

enigmatic
25-12-2013, 1:26pm
Welcome to AP and have a good xmas!

Duane Pipe
25-12-2013, 5:27pm
You live in the foot hills of gods country. Mary Xmas and welcome adored..

ricktas
25-12-2013, 8:24pm
Welcome, See you on the forums

BradAnderson
25-12-2013, 9:35pm
Welcome to AP, I look forward to you pictures in the forum.

pwcollins
26-12-2013, 10:13pm
Thanks for your reply Mary Anne - I will check out the Gear Talk Forum as you suggest. I am picking up the new tripod on Friday :), so I guess I should check out how well the existing screw tightening works on the pistol grip head works first. It might be OK. I'm not even sure if I can replace it with a lever type release yet - I just like the idea of saving a few seconds in set up time.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Dave. I was born in Traralgon. You might be interested to know that I knew Angus when he was at Trinity Grammar school in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne in the early 1970's. We both would have been around fifteen. I designed one of ACDC's first posters for a gig at a church hall in Kew. I did'nt have a camera at that stage - so unfortunately I don't have any early photos of the band to show you!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Rick. There is so much amazing work on this site. You must be very proud of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Brad. I'm not on Facebook, but looks like I will need to check out your work and no doubt others.

- - - Updated - - -

Its taking me a while to get my head around this website. I am a relative newcomer to this way of communicating and I don't think I needed to start a new thread to ask a simple gear question. Hope I haven't broken any rules!

Mark L
27-12-2013, 12:53am
G'day also.
You've found a good place to share, learn and help others.

Its taking me a while to get my head around this website. I am a relative newcomer to this way of communicating and I don't think I needed to start a new thread to ask a simple gear question.

This was the first forum I ever got involved in and found, like most things new, it takes a little time (though not long). 'tis worth the effort though.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you need to figure things out (someone else may be wondering the same thing).
Most people don't look at these intro threads, so I'm guessing (not really), that your gear question won't get an much response here.:):th3:

pwcollins
27-12-2013, 8:02am
Yes, good advice. Thanks Mark. I will post my question relating to replacing the quick release plate on a new tripod when I have had a look to see if it is physically possible / necessary to eliminate lens droop.

Kym
27-12-2013, 9:14am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

pwcollins
27-12-2013, 9:30am
Thanks Kym - I will. I see I have clocked up a 'personal message' (1 out of 20 allowed). Would you mind explaining this policy more? I have read the Rules, but may have missed something.