PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D7100 Err message

wmvaux
24-12-2013, 9:40pm
Today went down to take shots at one of the back beaches. Got nice and close to a ledge and after one test shot and setting up for the next, a big wave came in and hit me and the camera, I'm am talking about a big splash.
Anyway after that I went to a dry spot to dry the camera and filters...etc Once it looked all dry I turned it on and had the Err message. I tried taking the battery out and putting it back in, tried taking the lens off and back on.
The camera was in Manual mode, but tried other modes and no luck. It would take some shots like rapid fire and then stop and get stuck. LED display would fade in and out also. Then when I got back to the car the built in flash popped up and wouldn't sit back down. So all in all a pretty crappy day :(

I don't know if there are any special tricks to maybe resetting the camera or do I take it somewhere to get serviced or fixed?

secludedsea
24-12-2013, 11:48pm
Doesn't sound good. Is it still under warranty?

J.davis
24-12-2013, 11:49pm
Put it in a bag with some rice overnight. The rice will absorb any moisture.
Best of luck (keep an eye out for the Boxing Day bargains just in case)

I @ M
25-12-2013, 6:41am
Ouch!!!! :(

Unfortunately I don't hold much hope for you and the camera. Perhaps if you had immediately turned the camera off and removed the battery and tried to dry the body by an "absorption" method the moisture would have been partially removed but even then salt water begins to corrode the delicate internals of cameras very quickly.

I would put all of my hopes on you having an adequate insurance policy in place that covers such events because I feel that your camera and possibly the lens as well are destined for the recycle bin.

ricktas
25-12-2013, 7:44am
salt water? basically say goodbye to the camera. It might start working, but over time the dried salt will corrode the electicals and it will be a door stop. Sorry!

Kym
25-12-2013, 8:23am
D7100 is not weather sealed? As Rick said - salt water is the worst. :(
It could just be the lens causing the error if the body is sealed

secludedsea
25-12-2013, 11:48am
The D7100 is weather sealed, but not sure of the extent of the sealing. I believe it's along the lines of D800 sealing so it should be pretty decent. Having said that, if the lens is not weather sealed, then this could be the central cause of the problem. Have you tried a new lens?

wmvaux
25-12-2013, 1:59pm
I don't think a warranty would cover salty sea water :o
I don't have insurance specifically for the camera, it could probably fall under house & contents, but wonder if it's worth it if I have to pay around $500 excess and have premium go up when buying a new one is around $1000
I'm thinking about taking it to Camera Clinic to see if it can be fixed. I think the main area that was affected was around the cable release connection, maybe with any luck that could be replaced if that's the problem.
The camera doesn't look any different, the menu pops ok but the Err message stays even after resetting the settings. The message comes up without any lenses on, so I don't see the point of trying a different lens. I got a new battery today and will charge it and try it to make sure it's not a faulty battery. The lens I had on the camera is fine, have tested it on my D3200.

I have had a few close calls and maybe this was a wake up call. I may have to use a cheaper one when there is a chance of waves crashing in :o or maybe see if anyone will insure me for taking shots down the beach :confused013

Here is the test shot and then the shot when the wave crashed in