PDA

View Full Version : How to see when lens is set to 50mm?

Dazz1
10-12-2013, 1:21pm
The current competition requires 50mm. I don't have a prime 50mm lens, so I am wondering how I can tell when my 18-55 zoom is set to exactly 50mm? (this is on my Canon 600D) Is there a setting/info screen somewhere that displays the actual focal length as I alter the zoom?

ricktas
10-12-2013, 1:37pm
Take a tet shot and review the image on your LCD. Use your manual and there is a way to make the details like settings etc (the EXIF) appear on the LCD. Then you can adjust as needed.

ameerat42
10-12-2013, 1:40pm
Canon 600D? No idea, unfortunately. Is it shown anywhere in Live View when you select different display modes? In my camera I can ONLY see
the FL after I have taken the shot and view the info.:( If nothing else, it should be displayed that way. Then make a mark at the zoom position, I suppose.
Am.

Dazz1
10-12-2013, 1:50pm
Take a tet shot and review the image on your LCD. Use your manual and there is a way to make the details like settings etc (the EXIF) appear on the LCD. Then you can adjust as needed.

Yes, the info button shows various things, speed, aperture, ISO time, size etc, but focal length doesn't appear to be one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Canon 600D? No idea, unfortunately. Is it shown anywhere in Live View when you select different display modes? In my camera I can ONLY see
the FL after I have taken the shot and view the info.:( If nothing else, it should be displayed that way. Then make a mark at the zoom position, I suppose.
Am.

Good idea, just tried live view, but no, doesn't seem to be displayed.

ameerat42
10-12-2013, 2:04pm
Well, EXIF will/should have it.
(And you should be able to see it in playback with correct display set.)

Dazz1
10-12-2013, 2:11pm
Well, EXIF will/should have it.
(And you should be able to see it in playback with correct display set.)

It certainly has it, just getting it to display is the trick.

I just found one way, although not ideal. I attached the camera to my computer via a USB cable and ran a program called Entangle, which allows remote control of the camera. When I take a shot using Entangle, it displays the Exif INCLUDING the focal length. I took a series, slowly changing the zoom until it read 50mm, so I think I know where to set the lens now. I just hope I don't take a winning shot, only to find I am 1mm off on the zoom :(

ricktas
10-12-2013, 2:46pm
or..buy yourself an early christmas present. a nifty 50 can be had very cheap;)

Dazz1
10-12-2013, 2:49pm
or..buy yourself an early christmas present. a nifty 50 can be had very cheap;)

Sssh, if my wife hear's you, there'll be trouble... :)

- - - Updated - - -

btw. meant to ask - under the rules of the comp, can we use close up filters, as long as the exif reads 50mm?

oxygen45
10-12-2013, 2:53pm
Do you use Lightroom?

If so go to Library, Enable Filters then select the focal length you are after.

ricktas
10-12-2013, 2:57pm
Sssh, if my wife hear's you, there'll be trouble... :)

- - - Updated - - -

btw. meant to ask - under the rules of the comp, can we use close up filters, as long as the exif reads 50mm?

filters etc and what you do in editing is up to you. Though you need to consider if members would vote for an entry in a 50mm comp that may not appear to fit the theme (for the persons voting). Sometimes getting outside the box works, other times it can be detrimental if voters feel the link to the theme is lost.