PDA

View Full Version : Problems cleaning lens filter

tduell
09-12-2013, 6:48pm
Hello All,
I use a UV filter on my lens, but have had problems cleaning it.
It appears to have greasy film, both inside and outside, and has been like this since new.
I have tried cleaning with a very mild detergent and water, also using a micro cloth for spectacle cleaning, but all to no avail.
All I seem to do is change the smear pattern!
I can't say I have ever noticed that it has affected my images, but would like to have it "clean".
Any advice?

Cheers,
Terry

ameerat42
09-12-2013, 6:58pm
How strange! Trouble is you can't hit them with anything too strong in case the coating or the glass itself is damaged.
Have you tried a bit of metho?
I hope that isn't too harsh, and I can only say mine (in the past) have usually responded to a bit of breath and a soft tissue.
Am.

ricktas
09-12-2013, 7:43pm
detergent could damage the coating, depending on what is in it. Lens cleaning fluid and microfibre cloth only

arthurking83
09-12-2013, 10:38pm
I find this greasy film like finish on my cheaper hoya CPL filters.

About the best way to get them clean is with Eclipse fluid.
A small drop directly on the filter glass, and wipe with a pecpad .... done!

Mark L
10-12-2013, 10:54pm
Why do you bother using a UV filter? They don't do much for digital image quality.:confused013

tduell
11-12-2013, 11:26am
No, but they protect your lens.

Greeny
11-12-2013, 11:47am
There's definitely two schools of thought on this subject tduell ... I used to use UV filters until Richard Hall pointed out to me some banding on a shot that I had posted on the forum which was caused by the UV filter ... I haven't used one since & I think it's improved my shots ... a lens hood is probably much better protection for your lens anyway ... :)

ricktas
11-12-2013, 8:06pm

from what?

Mark L
11-12-2013, 8:37pm

Finally found this good discussion, ..... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?63081-My-take-on-the-use-of-UV-filters

It covers the protection (or not) issue as well.

Fruengalli
11-12-2013, 9:00pm
I live on the coast so I have a constant salt film on my gear...wipe the $100 filter 20 times or trash my front element? Chose the finance & perhaps lost some amateur quality in my shots but ...

BTW... supposedly my filters weather seal my "L's"

RobC
11-12-2013, 9:40pm
I sympathize Terry, I too live seaside. Everything rusts, salt air and humidity is a big problem for photo gear. I think a lens hood is better to protect the front glass element from damage, and a quality UV filter only used for severe situations.

Have you tried a bit of metho?
NOT recommended at all..- Metho contains pyridine and wood-naptha poisonous additives that are oily- when the alcohol evaporates, the oily residue remains. Ask your pharmacist for "Specially methylated Spirits" (only sold in pharmacies by law). It is ethyl-alcohol with methyl-alcohol, no residues. Or use a spectacle cleaner solution- most contain isopropyl-alcohol or similar (no residue). I asked my optician just recently- he cleans all his optical apparatus lenses with it, so it should not damage camera lenses.

tduell
12-12-2013, 3:27pm
from what?
Mainly dust. I have read the point of view expressed in the link provided by Mark L, and disagree on the dust issue. I would much prefer to be regularly cleaning a throw away filter than my lens.
I am beginning to regret mentioning what sort of filter it was. The question was about cleaning, and I think the type of filter is probably irrelevant. Much of the subsequent discussion on the merits or otherwise of UV filter probably deserves to be in a thread more suitably named.
Anyway, not to worry, just my point of view.

Cheers,
Terry

Fruengalli
12-12-2013, 6:49pm
Mainly dust. I have read the point of view expressed in the link provided by Mark L, and disagree on the dust issue. I would much prefer to be regularly cleaning a throw away filter than my lens.
I am beginning to regret mentioning what sort of filter it was. The question was about cleaning, and I think the type of filter is probably irrelevant. Much of the subsequent discussion on the merits or otherwise of UV filter probably deserves to be in a thread more suitably named.
Anyway, not to worry, just my point of view.

Cheers,
Terry

Fair point & my apologies. I use a puffer brush to get any fine grit or dust off first & then my "Specsavers" lens cleaning fluid with a good micro fibre cloth.(the optometrist tells me that this will not damage the filter coatings)