PDA

View Full Version : Hi

milopia
01-12-2013, 11:26pm
Hi, I've just started taking photos with a digital SLR. The last time I took photos with an SLR camera digital photography did not exist. I am currently using my daughter's Canon 400D but want to upgrade (get my own). I'm interested in taking photos of landscapes, people, animals-anything really but particularly landscapes and night or low light photography. I really want to learn how to use a digital slr properly so I can print or save my photos with minimal or no editing. I love black and white photography and would like to buy some film & take some shots with my 20 year old Pentax SLR (which I also love) but I need lots of practice first or I'm sure I'll waste the film. Someone mentioned that for low light photography a Nikon camera is better than a Canon and I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on this? I presume they are much the same and dependent on the lens used & settings etc? I would appreciate any advice people can give me please. Thank you!! Carmen

ricktas
02-12-2013, 6:14am
Welcome to AP.

Your questions would probably be best being re-asked in the gear forum, but to be honest, Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax.. etc all make great DSLR. Your daughter has a Canon, stick with that if $$ are an issue and you can both share lenses (and save buying the same ones, each). Not sure who told you Nikon were better for low light, but it is not just about the brand but the model as well. Some cameras are better performers than others, it is true, but this becomes more noticeable when the photographer is advanced and they are say comparing a $500 DSLR with a $4000 DSLR. But there is no reason a Canon cannot take just as good night photos as a Nikon, when the photographer knows what they are doing.

Oh and you can take black and white photos with a DSLR, but I do agree that getting some film and running it through a film camera can be lots of fun.

Wayne63
02-12-2013, 8:39am
Welcome to AP, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

Kym
02-12-2013, 8:46am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Mary Anne
02-12-2013, 9:39am
Hello :action66: and Welcome to AP.. You have had plenty of advice already and will get lots more when you post your photos on the Forums for cc..

Mark L
02-12-2013, 7:48pm
G'day Carmen.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and generally get involved.
There's plenty of helpful people who don't read these intro threads.:th3:

milopia
03-12-2013, 9:45pm
Hello again, Thank you all for your feedback and advice. I will post a photo soon and will post in the forums asking advice about equipment. I won't go on about it here but yes am looking at a canon 60D. Thanks so much for making me feel welcome and the lovely advice, much appreciated, Carmen :flash: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.