PDA

View Full Version : Sigma on 50D - Advice

Thoma
22-11-2013, 9:13pm
Hi all,

After some info on the Sigma 10-20mm F4 Wide angle lens. DPReview gives it a reasonable wrap, but not a glowing one.

After some actual results from some members whom actually have & use them.....good, bad or otherwise.:)

Any advice I can get before purchasing one would be great - i'm purchasing for my sister-in-law to give to her hubby.

I have a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 & love it & all aspects of UWA Lenses..!

Thx all,

Thoma.

Fruengalli
22-11-2013, 9:16pm
Stick with the Tokina...much better than the Sigma

Mark L
23-11-2013, 12:35am
There are many people happy with the Sigma, Tokina and Canon lens.

ameerat42
23-11-2013, 3:23pm

A Whirlpool remark!

Rick has one and swears by it. I wouldn't know, as I've got the 8-16. No, you can't have it.
:Dm.

arthurking83
23-11-2013, 5:14pm

I'd say only "better than" as opposed to 'much better than'.

In terms of IQ. Depending on what you're shooting and how you shoot, you won't see much difference, and any difference you do see could be lens sample variation anyhow.

Where the Tokina is better is in it's aperture range!
(more so than just IQ).

f/2.8 is not something to disregard lightly.

I've also had the Siggy for a good many years, and for all intents and purposes, it was just about my only lens for a long time .. even tho I had tons of other lenses to use.

For a long time, I thought to either trade the Siggy in for a Tokina as the Tok seemed to be more 'usable' with it's wider aperture.(for low light, not DOF purposes).
But I had a chance to play with the Tokina, and while it did provide better light gathering, the increased sharpness wasn't obviously observable in any of the images I shot.

Note that IQ doesn't just refer to sharpness.
Tok looked sharper(only just), but Sigma is better in colour, aberrations and distortion. These weren't scientifically tested, just informal mucking about shooting.

Keep the Tokina, and look at doing something else in terms of lens acquisition.
A Siggy 8-16 would be a completely different aspect!

Fruengalli
23-11-2013, 6:37pm
A Whirlpool remark!

Rick has one and swears by it. I wouldn't know, as I've got the 8-16. No, you can't have it.

Envy..till I get my next best ever lens ever!!!!

bricat
25-11-2013, 9:01am

I hope the neighbours aren't close by!!!!!