PDA

View Full Version : First post, first forum.

sarrold
18-11-2013, 9:39pm
Hello all,

So, I'm a virgin forum member - of any type.

A little about me, I travel a LOT. I work for a global 5 star hotel company so I get around to some pretty nice places. So, with this in mind, back in 2008 I decided to get myself a "good camera" - which ended up being a Sony Cybershot. At the time, I thought it was the ants pants. I took a bunch of photos at some pretty incredible places and it wasn't till I visited the temples in Bagan, Myanmar (Burma) did I decide that I wanted to start printing large to hang on the walls at home. It was at this point that I realized my "brilliant camera" just wasn't cutting the mustard.

Fast forward a while and I became a father (2010) and at this point I really did want to get amazing pics of my little man and print large - I knew the Sony had to go. It wasn't until 12months ago however that I finally did something about it. I purchased the Nikon D600 and went through a very steep learning curve. I read voraciously, shoot regularly and have become hopelessly addicted to all things photographic.

Lenses - I started out with the Nikkor 28-300mm super-zoom and also bought the 50mm 1.8g. The 50mm really tought me about DOF and speed and it wasn't too long till I had decided that the convenience of the 28-300mm had to be replaced with some "fast glass". Little did I know what an expensive little exercise that would be...

The 28-300mm was sold and I am now the very proud owner of the Nikon "trinity" being the 14-24mm 24-70mm & the 70-200mm vrii. I also now have the Fotodiox wonderpana ultra kit for the 14-24mm (it contains a 4,8,16 & 32 ND's and .6 & .9 hard and soft GND's). My latest purchase was a filter kit for the 24-70 & 70-200mm so I got a Lee Foundation kit with big stopper, 1.2ND, and a .9 hard and soft GND. I've also got the Singh Ray Reverse Grad ND (which I love).

So, I'm lucky to have such a great kit and I'm doing my damnedest to do it justice with my photography. My passion is shooting landscapes (particularly seascapes as I have easy access living in SYD) and as mentioned I travel a lot for work so travel photography is also a great passion. Then last but not least, I love documenting the life of my family. Those quality of those pics alone is enough to justify the expense!

As mentioned, I'm really only 12months in to my journey in DSLR photography and I am hopelessly addicted. I can see through my images that I am progressing and hope through this website to continue this journey.

*removed - please read the site rules. In particular rule 3*

If anyone's interested, I've got some pix on 500px - http://500px.com/shanearrold

Obviously there are a lot of forums out there to join - but this is my first and most likely will be my only. Its great to see we have an Australian forum to join - thanks to site owner and contributors.

I hope to learn a lot from joining and hopefully I can even add value occasionally too!

PS - yes, I had sensor "dust / oil" issues with the D600 so I learnt how to clean a sensor. No big deal. I'm now at about 20,000 activations and the issue has pretty well disappeared.

Cheers all,

Shane.

ricktas
18-11-2013, 9:45pm
Welcome to AP. See you on the forums

sarrold
18-11-2013, 9:49pm
Thanks v much Rick.

S

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies, just saw your note re: rules. I've just read them and understand.

Just for the record, no I am not affiliated to anyone!

Cheers and apologies...

S

rwg717
18-11-2013, 9:59pm
Hello Shane and welcome to AP:)
Richard

Kym
18-11-2013, 10:01pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Mary Anne
18-11-2013, 10:02pm
Hello Shane and Welcome to AP.. Will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums.
I was so bored this afternoon with the rain heaving down hailstones and no Internet I cleaned the dust bunnies off the 5D Mk 11 sensor.

Mark L
18-11-2013, 10:06pm
G'day Shane, welcome to a good place to share learn and help others, where we can.

Obviously there are a lot of forums out there to join - but this is my first and most likely will be my only. Its great to see we have an Australian forum to join - thanks to site owner and contributors.

Like that. AP would be the most active and helpful Oz forum and once you go world wide there's just to much to try and keep up with.
And for a little fun there's our members challenges ..... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?58-MEMBER-CHALLENGES

Wayne63
19-11-2013, 9:36am
Welcome to AP Shane, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums