PDA

View Full Version : NAS advice

TwinII
17-11-2013, 10:45am
Can anyone give me some advice for a decent NAS I could use to back up my photos? I currently have a Thecus N2200 but it is very variable as to whether I can actually access it! More than half the time I cannot get access to it (for some unknown reason) and it is very frustrating.....it is also really slow! Can anyone recommend something which they are currently using?

Thanks,

Martin

adro
17-11-2013, 2:33pm
I've had a QNAP TS-210 for a few years.

I have two computers that I wanted to be able to share files between but I couldn't get Windows file sharing working for whatever reason.
So I got the NAS up and running and found I could use the QNAP Finder software to map the NAS as a network drive. That option is found in the Tools menu.
Both computers see the NAS as another hard drive in Windows Explorer.
I don't use it as a media server or anything fancy like that, just file sharing.

Have you thought about just getting an external HDD?

I hope this helps.

*post edited to remove commercial promotion of a website, including prices: Please read the site rules, in particular rule 3*

ricktas
17-11-2013, 8:31pm
What are you seeking? 2 drive or more? Mine is a 5 drive array.

One of the easiest ways to buy the NAS box and then just fill it with HDD or your size choice, but it depends on how much you want to spend. You could spend a couple of hundred or several thousand depending on what you want your NAS to do.

Blueywa
17-11-2013, 8:44pm
I use a QNAP TS-421.
It's a 4 bay with maximum of 16TB, i.e. 4 x 4TB.
I currently use it with just two 3TB HDD's, will add a couple more when needed.
Not the cheapest but it gets good results.