PDA

View Full Version : photo copyright settled for $1.6m

saratoga
14-11-2013, 10:35am
http://www.photoattorney.com/photographer-awarded-16-million-dollars-copyright-infringement-action/

Jorge Arguello
14-11-2013, 10:42am
Wow... I am glad to know that if someone is making money with someone else work, they pay for the work. But for that amount... wow...

Kym
14-11-2013, 5:46pm
Well done to the 'tog for protecting their © -- it was a blatant commercial rip off

Craig Zilko
21-12-2013, 11:10am
Hope that amount was over and above the cost of the 5 years of litigation, if not he might only walk away with enough change for a cup of coffee while waving goodbye to his lawyer as they drive off in the latest Porsche 911 :)

Duane Pipe
21-12-2013, 1:32pm
I wish some one would steel my work:lol::lol:.

Good on him..

freelancer
21-12-2013, 5:12pm
I regularly have images stolen and used on other peoples sites, unfortunately the cost involved for me to do something about it makes it not worth while. Ive even had people win prize money from scanning my pics from tourism magazines. Legal advice Ive had in this country have pretty much said it will cost you $5-600 to try and get half that back. I hardly shoot at all now mainly because of this.
Jon

gbradtke
29-12-2013, 12:54pm
I regularly have images stolen and used on other peoples sites, unfortunately the cost involved for me to do something about it makes it not worth while. Ive even had people win prize money from scanning my pics from tourism magazines. Legal advice Ive had in this country have pretty much said it will cost you $5-600 to try and get half that back. I hardly shoot at all now mainly because of this.
Jon

Jon do you place a copyright watermark on your published image?
Surely this would eliminate the issue?
If you chose to go to court it would be a definite in your favour and you would recover costs as well.

REDbiv
29-12-2013, 4:57pm
I'm more curious as to how you know your image has been stolen. The only way I know how is individual image search, not by domain or similar. And scanning out of a magazine is going to be almost impossible to find. Not doubting you, it's something I've been trying to find out a more efficient method of tracking the usage of my pics

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

mickyj
05-01-2014, 1:41pm
Hmm, one of my images turned up in regional newspaper in South Australia. I only stumbled over it as the picture included my father.
People recognised him and asked me about it. As it is a country publication, I would not normally look at it (or even known it existed).
The photo was not even credited to me. They got it from my Flickr page.

I would think that these types of publications have people on staff that would know better !