PDA

View Full Version : nikon d800 advice

torro
09-11-2013, 8:40am
have been using the d800 for a month but have found that I have not been getting sharp images. Have tried shooting with faster shutter speeds (1/200 and above) handheld, but sharpness is inconsistent. Any advice?

ameerat42
09-11-2013, 8:46am
There could be plenty. Post up some shots with EXIF data intact and we can see and (possibly probably) tell.
Am.

Kym
09-11-2013, 9:28am
Back to basics.... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=New_To_Photography:Appendix_E_-_How_to_obtain_tack_sharp_images

ricktas
09-11-2013, 9:53am
Advice: Post some photos to the CC forums, with EXIF in-tact and let us take a look, and while you are in the CC forums, give some CC to other members too.

nimrodisease
09-11-2013, 2:04pm
As others have said, it could be many reasons.. however, the D800 has been known to have some focussing issues which some people on this forum will be able to elaborate on.

arthurking83
09-11-2013, 2:22pm
As it's been only a month, and Nikon have finally resolved the AF issues, this is more unlikely to be the issue.
Not impossible, and it could be that yours may have the issue too, but the original AF issue has now been resolved.

List your lenses too(or lens used).

Lenses that may have appeared sharp on any previous cameras don't necessarily fall into line on the D800!

Bintryin
09-11-2013, 3:28pm
Use vr on if your shooting at anything under 500/sec you must have a steady hand with this beast it takes some work you have 36 megs so try a shot on tripod to see if that is better. also if you know someone close with the same camera try there lens. after 1 year mine for some reason went out of focus I sent it away and now its all good. You will need to sharpen you shots a little when processing your pics.
Cheers Mike have a look at my shots in the bird forum or my flicker site.
Cheers Mike

arthurking83
09-11-2013, 6:30pm
I think the basic shutter speed to be used for blur free images isn't as fixed as 1/500s.
That's a bit extreme when using a 24mm lens! :D

Just keep it to a minimum 1/focal length at least .. and maybe just a touch faster if you're still having issues.

I just did a quick test/play and can get 1/20s-1/15s and sharp shots from the 24-70VC @ 70mm, with the VC on, but it goes to mush at 1/10s and below(zero sharp images out of 6 shot).

image stabilisation is a feature to have high up on your list of usage or next purchases with the D800.

if on tripod and images are still blurry, could be either an inadequate support setup, incorrect usage in some way, or just plain ol mirror slap.

Even with all this, I think the lens used(for these unsharp images) needs to be a priority in any further discussion.

if the lens is a Nikon 24-70/2.8, then technique is going to be your problem. This lens is stellar in it's image rendering ability.
if the lens is a Kipon 1000mm f/11 'drain pipe', then no matter your technique and support gear .. your images will be pretty much unsharp! :D

Tommo1965
09-11-2013, 7:01pm
i found that when shooting at anything under 1/60 using MLU was a must for pixel sharpness with the D800..as mine is prone to Mirror slap ..this is on a pretty decent tripod and head ...

also are you shooting Raw ...if so D800 files can be improved with a good dose of sharpening in PP.

your post says that you are shooting at 1/200 and above...As Rick has said, post these images for CC so we can see what you are on about

Bintryin
10-11-2013, 1:01am
What lens are they using? do you know it is a 24mm lens I have not seen any pics yet !@ best try a tripod with shutter release or timer don't worry about mirror slap its almost crap!!

ricktas
10-11-2013, 7:28am
I think until we hear back from the OP, with some photos, then we are not really able to solve their problem. To many reasons, and not enough information.

Lance B
10-11-2013, 9:44am
Seeing as the OP is in Sydney, I may be able to meet him/her and assist them with their problems, or at least see what the issue may be.

torro
10-11-2013, 4:06pm
have been using the d800 for a month but have found that I have not been getting sharp images. Have tried shooting with faster shutter speeds (1/200 and above) handheld, but sharpness is inconsistent. Any advice?
Thanks for everyone's advice. Spent today shooting with 24-70 and am happy with sharpness. Problem was me not the camera.

ricktas
10-11-2013, 4:38pm
Thanks for everyone's advice. Spent today shooting with 24-70 and am happy with sharpness. Problem was me not the camera.

So what was causing it? Posting details of what caused it might help other members. After all, you got plenty offering ideas etc in this thread. Hope also that we actually get to see some of your photos soon and you giving some other members help/CC as well.

torro
10-11-2013, 5:02pm
So what was causing it? Posting details of what caused it might help other members. After all, you got plenty offering ideas etc in this thread. Hope also that we actually get to see some of your photos soon and you giving some other members help/CC as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Sharpness was improved by holding camera steady and digging elbows into ribs. As well, just spending time using the camera and understanding that it's a more demanding camera to use then the d700.

Tommo1965
10-11-2013, 6:43pm
steady eddie is the go with this unforgiving beast ...:D

arthurking83
10-11-2013, 10:08pm
steady eddie is the go with this unforgiving beast ...:D

that plus VR/VC/OS/any other stabilization type ... makes a hell of a difference for consistently sharp pics.

Strange thing is tho, while the D800 has a higher Mp count than the D7100 does(as well as the D5200 and now D5300) .. you hardly hear of similar issues with those three cameras, even tho the pixel density is higher than it is on a D800.

I have read of a few people having issues with sharpness on D7100's with a need to rejig their technique, but more so from D800 owners.
I would have thought that the problem would have been doubly manifest on a D7100/D5300/D5200 ... especially considering the narrower FOV for a given focal length.

arnica
13-11-2013, 10:40am
Any pics of the not so sharp images?

jaswebpics
24-02-2014, 10:12pm
The problem is that the res is so high, that small movements are more visible when you look closely at the images. Viewing the whole image, you probably won't notice it.

torro
15-04-2014, 9:06pm
Just returned from China, pleased with images and detail. Secret is shooting with shutter speed in mind.

Dwarak
26-04-2014, 7:09pm
I own a D800E and had no problems with sharpness I use the 70-200 VR 2 and the zeiss 21mm f2.8 used these lens without any issues I do mainly landscapes with the mirror up mode I first click once to put the mirror up and wait for 5 sec and then click again to activate the shutter to try and avoid vibrations.

geoffsta
26-04-2014, 10:34pm
Hello Torro. Ever thought of back button focusing. That's using the AF-L button on the back of the camera to focus, instead of the half press. You get a lot more consistency using it.

arthurking83
27-04-2014, 8:29am
.... I do mainly landscapes with the mirror up mode I first click once to put the mirror up and wait for 5 sec and then click again to activate the shutter to try and avoid vibrations.

Consider using exposure delay mode instead ... and with the timer if need be.

If you are 'clicking' the release by hand(and not remote) the effort is basically futile .. so I'm assuming a remote is being used here.

Dwarak
27-04-2014, 8:31am
Consider using exposure delay mode instead ... and with the timer if need be.

If you are 'clicking' the release by hand(and not remote) the effort is basically futile .. so I'm assuming a remote is being used here.

Yes Alan remote with a wire

arthurking83
27-04-2014, 8:31am
Hello Torro. Ever thought of back button focusing. That's using the AF-L button on the back of the camera to focus, instead of the half press. You get a lot more consistency using it.

I'm sure you mean the AF-On button and not AF-L.
(you're footy team must'a won this round and you have footy on the brain this weekend :p)

geoffsta
27-04-2014, 9:32am
That's what I meant... AF-On.. The writing on my button is almost worn out..

torro
30-04-2014, 6:59pm
Yes, used this technique when I was in China, (AF on back of camera) works a treat.