PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Newses Bach

Newses Bach
09-10-2013, 5:18pm
As some of you may guess, my 'name' indicates my Welshness; newses is what an aunt used to call news/chat/gossip and is a nonsense word rather than a Welsh one. The "Bach" bit just means "little" or "small", and is nothing to do with famous musicians.

I was given my first camera in Cobalt, Ontario, in 1953. It was a Baby Brownie, and I used that until I bought my first 35mm camera in 1965. By that time the Baby Brownie had lost its viewfinder, so I used to just put it up to my cheek as I would have if the viewfinder was still there. That used to cause some amusement and amazement, but the photos were astonishingly accurate. Ah, those were the days - putting film in and taking it out, hoping not to have too much destruction by leaking light. The disappointment of finding two pictures on the one negative because one had forgotten to wind the film on, or the button had been pressed inadvertently. Before my Baby Brownie I did sometimes use my mother's camera - I don't recall what they were called, but these early cameras were just a box with a viewfinder you looked down on, hoping the light wouldn't make it invisible, and you just moved a lever from one end of a slit to the other. I don't quite recall whether it sprang back or whether you had to push it the other way with the next photo. I used sometimes to sneak off with the camera and take photos, which are quite precious to me now. Film and developing was a big item, though, for small incomes.

Between the Baby Brownie and the 35mm I did have a couple of other cameras, both of which were horrible and semi-forgotten. One got lost in Hamburg airport, and the other was probably thrown out. In the 70s we were given a wonderful Russian SLR which served faithfully until something inside got rusty.

Round about the year 2000 we were given our first digital camera, make unrecorded, which was replaced with a Canon Powershot A200, then a Canon PowerShot A460, and now a brand new Canon PowerShot SX50 HS, which I haven't quite learned to drive yet, but which even so has impressed me more than I thought possible. I've been able to get some shots that should have been impossible without a tripod.

So my next task is to work out how to upload a photo or two. They are so huge that I feel I need to bring the size down, but I noticed somewhere that the site will automatically reduce their size, so I need to find out just how forgiving that function is. My first "impossible" shot was of a cockatoo way up in a tree; just leaning against another tree I managed to locate it and shoot just before the battery gave out! One can see its beady eye watching us!

I haven't worked out the macro function yet, but that will come. I have an excellent collection of fuzzy wildflower closeups.

Until later

Newses Bach

Mary Anne
09-10-2013, 5:59pm
Hi there :action66: and Welcome to AP.. Will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums.

ricktas
09-10-2013, 6:04pm
Welcome. See you on the forums

rookie
09-10-2013, 6:21pm
:gday::action66:

Wayne63
09-10-2013, 7:58pm
Welcome to AP, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

Mark L
09-10-2013, 9:38pm
G'day Newses Bach.
You've found a good place to share, learn, ask questions and generally get involved. 'spose that's what makes forums work.:)
Down upload photos, check this out ...... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php?title=How_Do_I:How_to_post_and_link_your_photos_into_forum_threads

If you're going to upload directly to AP (and not link to another photo hosting place like Flickr) then you'll need to resize your photos before posting. Many ways to do this, though I use this free program .... http://bd-sizer.jaleco.com/

Newses Bach
10-10-2013, 1:50am
Thanks, folks, for the welcome and the tips!

Kym
10-10-2013, 9:56pm
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!