PDA

View Full Version : Is This Just Me...

Breezapl
07-10-2013, 7:30pm
Not too sure if this is the right place to post this, so someone correct me if I'm have this in the wrong location.

This is just me having a rant to get it off my chest and also wondering if it's happened to anyone else. I was in Canberra on the weekend at the Floriade. I was just about to take a photo, meaning camera was to my eye and I was in the process of focussing, when someone stepped in front of me, completely blocking my field of view, to take their own photo. I lowered my camera and said a rather polite "Excuse me", only to have the person look back over their shoulder at me and then turned back to take their photo. I thought their behaviour was quite rude.

Personally, if I see someone about to take a photo, I make a point of stopping and waiting for them to take the photo or I walk around behind them. I would never think to walk or stand in front of them. I think it's downright rude to do so. What does everyone else think?

Ionica
07-10-2013, 7:36pm
I doubt it's unusual, and have had similar experiences; the attitude of some of these people seems to be that they see nothing wrong with their behaviour, and only care about getting their photo.

Darey
07-10-2013, 7:45pm
I wonder what they would do if you immediately returned the favour and stepped in front of them.

Even better you could take their photo and if they ask 'what you are doing', reply " taking a photo of a buffoon". :cool:

Just a thought. :)

ricktas
07-10-2013, 8:50pm
When you get these large events that attract crowds, it is bound to happen.

When I had this happen once, so I got in close and when their image came up on the LCD, I leaned in closer and told them they had composed it badly...hehe.

geoffsta
07-10-2013, 9:03pm
It happens a lot, mostly by people without cameras. I have been doing a lot of horse stuff lately. Taking the rather big and heavy 120-300 sigma lens. It's amazing how many turn around, see where your pointing the camera, then walk straight in front of it. For no other reason than being annoying.

Warbler
07-10-2013, 10:14pm
Manners have not been taught in school, or at home for many years now.... We live in a world where being polite and respecting others are just outdated ideas pushed by old fuddy-duddies. Be thankful you didn't get glassed for your trouble.

CapnBloodbeard
08-10-2013, 1:05am
There are a lot of people in this world who fail to recognise that anything exists out of their own little bubble. We see it all the time - working in retail was a great example. Road behaviour is a constant example of it. There are a lot of idiots in the world.

MattNQ
08-10-2013, 2:03am
That's why I love going bush...nobody gets in your way! Except your own annoying kids of course!
Funnily enough I had the opposite experience recently shooting my daughter's netball final and my sons footy carnival. I am used to refs, coaches, and others walking in front frequently so am resigned to normally having several shots of blurry bums obscuring the play . But these occasions people either stopped or apologised or went behind.....very surprising.:confused:

sent from a not-very-smart phone via tapatalk

CapnBloodbeard
08-10-2013, 10:41am
I had the opposite experience once as an assistant referee....idiot 'professional' (he was contracted paid, but his actions weren't professional) kept stepping onto the line at the other end of the field blocking my view. He was extremely close to being kicked off the park......

Breezapl
08-10-2013, 5:09pm
Many thanks for all your replies. I'm glad it's not just me that thinks it's rude to walk in front of someone when they are taking a photo.

BastardSheep
09-10-2013, 11:54am
It's one of the huge differences I found with having a DSLR. Prior to having it, if I was taking photos with my phone or P&S people would walk in front without a care no matter how obvious it was I was composing a photo to take, then just stand there chatting for a while not even looking at it. With the DSLR I've found people are MUCH more likely to pause, go around, or duck out of the way. Not entirely, but it's more likely to happen.

I'm yet to have anyone be so blatantly and almost purposefully rude as the OP describes, though. That's just horrible. In my examples it's more ignorance and lack of awareness so although I got annoyed I just accepted it as circumstance.

For myself personally I'm a huge fan of common courtesy and showing regard and awareness for those around you, but if someone shows a blatant disregard for even basic common courtesy I have no problems at all returning the (lack of) favour, on purpose, even if it puts me out. I am the person who changes my line to shoulder-charge or walk directly through someone trying to get onto a train/elevator before letting those trying to depart exit first (everyone else who is waiting I turn my shoulders for and make myself as small/fluid as possible), etc :).

Lance B
09-10-2013, 12:21pm
Happens to me regularly. As Bastard Sheep says above, some even stand there in front of you talking even though they know you are waiting to take a photo. People with DSLR's are generally more observant, polite and will walk around and patiently wait for you to finish before barging in front. What amazes me is that many see you taking a photo, but still barge in front, apologise and still continue to take their photo anyway as if apologising makes it all right! However, most people are polite, especially when they see that I have a "serious" camera, as they call it. :)

Depending on what I am photographing, one of my favourite tricks to to just barge in front of those who have just barged in front of me as I more often than not have a wider angle lens than they do so I still can get the scene. I know two wrongs don't make a right but they generally get the message that they were rude in the first place.

Pezzie
09-10-2013, 12:41pm
Times like that, it is probably a good thing there is no such thing as a working light-sabre. I'd have charred bits of idiots all around me. ;)

Lance B
09-10-2013, 12:50pm
There are a lot of people in this world who fail to recognise that anything exists out of their own little bubble. Road behaviour is a constant example of it. There are a lot of idiots in the world.

Ain't that the truth. It never ceases to amaze me how insular some people can be. You are sitting at a set of lights known for short phasing of a green light and there is a lot of traffic so, I am always at the ready to get going knowing that the quicker I am to react, the more people will get through the lights and therefore clear the backlog. However, it amazes me how many people are half asleep, or are doing something else and leave a large gap before they end up moving off and this has the effect in that the sensors in the road think there is less traffic and therefore turn the lights red quicker. If these people had been paying attention and moved off quicker, many more cars would have been able to get through but no, they are more interested in their own little world to care about whether others get through the lights. :angry0:

Warbler
09-10-2013, 6:45pm
However, it amazes me how many people are half asleep, or are doing something else and leave a large gap before they end up moving off and this has the effect in that the sensors in the road think there is less traffic and therefore turn the lights red quicker. If these people had been paying attention and moved off quicker, many more cars would have been able to get through but no, they are more interested in their own little world to care about whether others get through the lights. :angry0:

Or the ones who just pull on front of you and then do 10kph under the speed limit, until they get to an overtaking lane and then find another gear to exceed the speed limit by 10kph so you can't overtake. The first Holden that comes with a 50 calibre machine gun will be my next car. :violent10:

Mark L
10-10-2013, 9:19pm
I purposely get in front of as many photogs as I can. Can't have them taking better photos than me.:D

geoffsta
10-10-2013, 9:51pm
I can give a prime example after an incident today.
I do a lot of photos for work functions. Today I had an important opening of a new complex within our organization. The were dignitaries from State and Federal governments, authorities from various health organizations, and of course all of our board members. Plus a heap of locals.

I had a prominent position with all the important people just about to cut the ribbon. When these two inconsiderate stupid woman (I could say worse) jumped right in from with their friggen iPhones when the ribbon was cut.
Therefore I missed the most important image for the day.

It's not as if I had a p&s. I had the D800 with a fairly decent lens, and I had been walking around taking photos for two hours prior. So they would have seen me, and knew what my job was. The guy from the local paper who was right next to me, just shook his head in disbelief. What made it worse was the two stupid woman were part of the federal member's travelling group.....

EDIT: I think I'll call them a pair of Mark L's (Is that rude enough) :confused013

Warbler
10-10-2013, 9:59pm
Get used to it Geoff. Happens all the time. I did a job for a charity here and had their PR guy wandering around with his iphone taking photos at the same event. I see on their Facebook page all the crappy iPhone photos are there, and none of mine which were gar superior t6o anything he took. I got paid, but it just makes me shake my head and hope nobody thinks they are my photos. Best you develop a death stare Geoff. It usually works for me.

Nick Cliff
10-10-2013, 10:28pm
Geoff ,I had to laugh when some top flikr photographers were discussing the types of characters hogging the best spot then being deliberately being slow at iconic spots in US National Parks,one guy said he found if you look a little crazy ,have some torn trousers and a few days growth and just set up your gear in front of these characters after they have had a opportunity to photograph they didnt have the nerve to question him when he would briskly set up his professional equipment and fire away,a man with a mission,regards nick.

Glenda
11-10-2013, 8:09am
I've only had it happen rarely. In fact when using an ultra wide I've had people stop to allow me to take the photo not realising they were actually in the frame.

wedgtail
11-10-2013, 12:07pm
This attitude is prevalent in society now I am a curtious driver and Photographer . my d600 has a built in light sabre if some one realy peees me of i use the on camera flash some times revenge is sweet it also helps being an ex rugby front rower as well :D:D:D

Hayaku
11-10-2013, 1:49pm
I've seen this happen before with people who use dslrs during amateur shoot events.

Some people just don't care sadly

mechawombat
11-10-2013, 9:38pm
I always attend these outside of peak times that means avoiding the weekends.

jim
11-10-2013, 10:38pm
Personally I'm more surprised by the number of people who spot that I'm wielding a camera and stop to wait for me to finish.

ameerat42
12-10-2013, 9:56pm
How ROOD! (And how rued by you! - Alas!)

Rick's suggestion made me LARF.

Bennymiata
14-10-2013, 11:30am
If they get in front of you, get close up behind them so they can feel your breath on their necks.
Then, as they start to walk away, put your leg out and trip them over.....................

Another system is to not shower for a week or so before the shoot.
No-one will get close to you then!

Doktaduck
14-10-2013, 1:15pm
People are generally just rude now days.. I'm starting to sound like a cranky old man and I've barely hit 40.. :(

But the more time I spend driving to work, or walking through the city, or going to "events" the more people I see that act like they are thinking "stuff you, I'm the most important thing on this planet, rules and etiquette don't apply to me"

Makes me pine for the country towns.... if only I could move my job to the bush somewhere... sigh..

Lance B
14-10-2013, 6:36pm
Or the ones who just pull on front of you and then do 10kph under the speed limit, until they get to an overtaking lane and then find another gear to exceed the speed limit by 10kph so you can't overtake. The first Holden that comes with a 50 calibre machine gun will be my next car. :violent10:

Yep! This is another bugbear of mine!! :angry0:

ameerat42
14-10-2013, 8:49pm
People are generally just rude now days.. I'm starting to sound like a cranky old man and I've barely hit 40.. :(

But the more time I spend driving to work, or walking through the city, or going to "events" the more people I see that act like they are thinking "stuff you, I'm the most important thing on this planet, rules and etiquette don't apply to me"

Makes me pine for the country towns.... if only I could move my job to the bush somewhere... sigh..

That's the trubble: How do you know what they're thinking? Ah, is that it? Whether they think it or not, you think they are.

You're not a cranky old man, but a much younger one. Change what you can.

Does anybody go around saying, "Oh, this is my fault/opinion only/perception/etc?"

Communication Breakdown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CHygiovJD8) (Roy Orbison) may have got it right, if only romantically applied.

As for country towns, what, why, where, when?

Generalisations!!! But you're not the only one.

Am.

arthurking83
14-10-2013, 10:48pm
First you don't see her .. now you do! :rolleyes:

FWIW: no one was interested in taking his photo for at least a min or so ... so the fact that I lifted my D300 up to get the shots(the singer was quite good too :th3:) brought out the plebs.

Barely a second separates the three images 50.91 - 51.19 was the timings, so about 0.3 sec or so, and yet she moved so quickly to block my view.

I know .. I just know, had I not raised the camera to fire off some images, she'd still be sitting in the seat she came from.

The question I ask myself ... Do people do this out of spite .. competition???? What!

Or are they really just completely oblivious to the world around them .. never taking a moment to just observe their surroundings before doing something.

My natural instinct is to believe that people are just generally oblivious to what's happening around them .. the only explanation as to how some dimwits can get themselves into the ridiculous accidents I've seen over the years.

Of course she ended up more to the right, but I gave up after the third frame thinking that if she wants him so bad, she can have 'im!

I caught up with the fellow later on the other side of the road.

tcdev
16-10-2013, 12:24am
What made it worse was the two stupid woman were part of the federal member's travelling group.....
A colleague of mine was photographing a function for local government a few months back, and passed around consent to be photographed forms to everyone as they could potentially appear in a publication. Most people were cool with it, except one stupid woman who very loudly declared that she forbid him to take a photograph of her. What's worse, she positioned herself right in front of the podium as various guest speakers... well, spoke, making it almost impossible to get any decent shots of the proceedings.

It was towards the end of the function that my colleague subsequently learned that she was one of the event organisers! :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

I've done a decent amount of travelling over the last few years, and whilst most people are generally polite and considerate, I've had a handful of selfish, rude pigs.

The one incident that sticks out in my mind was in Europe, and we were at the top of one of the church towers patiently waiting our turn to pose in front of the view. Well, our turn came and as my wife positioned herself to be photographed by me, this woman of origins unknown simply barged into frame and decided to take in the view, completely blocking it from our perspective. "Excuse me!" my wife exclaimed loudly, only to be met with an arrogant and indignant stare before she turned back to admire her view. Repeated attempts to attract her attention were ignored, until she finally tired of the view and trotted (as do pigs) off, not so much as glancing in our direction. Sometimes I think the safety fence is there to stop people booting arrogant tourists off, because I would surely have been tempted without the fence - I was fuming! :angry0:

I think it's safe to say that any tog worthy of mention would show the same consideration to others as they would expect themselves. Hell even a tog as ordinary as myself shows consideration! :p And I also make sure to thank those that have done the same to me. Half the time it results in offers to take our photo together - and I haven't lost a camera yet (tip: only accept offers from those with similar cameras, or are too old to run!). A few times I've even taken photos of others with my camera and emailed the results, as they've either had inadequate equipment or none at all!

And Lance, I'm with you too! I'd like to think of myself as an extraordinarily considerate driver, though of course I have had the odd lapse where something else catches my attention at the red lights...:oops: Thankfully my Aurion is more than a match for a lot of buffoons that accelerate in the overtaking lanes. :D

rackham
16-10-2013, 12:43am
The bulk of you guys would absolutely hate shooting in China then...

arthurking83
17-10-2013, 1:50am

define .... "shooting" .... :violent10:

:D

ameerat42
17-10-2013, 8:39am
define .... "shooting" .... :violent10:

:D

Cameras:) You know?:rolleyes:

Warbler
17-10-2013, 10:20am

"Queue" is not a concept understood by the Chinese. ;)

davsv1
17-10-2013, 11:24am
"Queue" is not a concept understood by the Chinese. ;)
It is, it is just a different understanding to here and if you lived there you would understand why.

ameerat42
17-10-2013, 11:30am
What about in the middle (earth) east? Have you heard of Queue Wait?

Craig Zilko
09-11-2013, 11:03am
Not too sure if this is the right place to post this, so someone correct me if I'm have this in the wrong location.

This is just me having a rant to get it off my chest and also wondering if it's happened to anyone else. I was in Canberra on the weekend at the Floriade. I was just about to take a photo, meaning camera was to my eye and I was in the process of focussing, when someone stepped in front of me, completely blocking my field of view, to take their own photo. I lowered my camera and said a rather polite "Excuse me", only to have the person look back over their shoulder at me and then turned back to take their photo. I thought their behaviour was quite rude.

Personally, if I see someone about to take a photo, I make a point of stopping and waiting for them to take the photo or I walk around behind them. I would never think to walk or stand in front of them. I think it's downright rude to do so. What does everyone else think?

Most normal, civilised, polite, considerate people would do as you would - unfortunately the world has it fair number of abnormal, uncivilised, impolite, inconsiderate people you unfortunately encountered one of them. I understand the frustration, I had a Japanese man jump up in front of my telephoto lens on numerous occasions at MotoGP round to take pictures on his iPhone .... grrrr - I tried being polite then I tried being extremely rude, must have been a language barrier thing as neither worked and my lens was too expensive to bury into the back of his head accidently ;) .... but the thought definitely crossed my mind.