PDA

View Full Version : Not so interesting - who knows?

ameerat42
02-09-2013, 7:33pm
So a week ago my nephew bought a Canon SX50HS camera from a large camera store in Sydney.
(Caveats and exemptions: he doesn't know much about cameras and 4-got to ask his uncle about a camera.)
So with a :D on his face he was showing me his purchase back then. Yesterday, that big grin went south (this way :( )
He was installing the S/W and at a point it asked him to connect the camera to the computer. A message said (I don't know, something like)
"charge up the battery". He did, then put the battery back into the camera - and nothing happened. That continued to happen for the many
times we took it out, tried to recharge it, check it was perfectly OK, and...

Well, today I rang the store. Luckily for us/him - maybe not so for others - they said that since it was less than 2 weeks since the purchase,
they would do a complete swap for a new and identical one. So what if it had happened after 15 days? The camera is obviously faulty. He has taken about 50 pics
with it.

And here's a point: they sold him an 16GB SDHC (non-Sandisk) card for about $50. I bought him a 2nd card - Sandisk SDHC card - for $22 dollars. Y, I Rsk?
The camera does not write at super dooper speeds. The card does not appear to be super-dooper. Well, the store will have to answer me that tomorrow.
Unfortunately, he has ~50 images on the card, so it has been used, but I hope to get an answer. So might the store from me.

What makes it irksome is that he's due to go abroad in 2 weeks AND I had ordered and paid for a 2nd battery for that camera - almost $50. Talk of "sinking funds"! As a
stopgap, I am lending him another P+S camera, just in case he runs into trouble while away.

Oh well...

Mark L
02-09-2013, 9:21pm
Once he realises how much fun it is to take photos of everything (just so he doesn't forget where he went) he may need two cards anyway. :confused013:)

ricktas
03-09-2013, 6:22am
Are you sure it is the camera? Could be the battery, if it kept saying the battery needed to be charged. Which could also explain issues with reading/writing to the card if the battery is not a happy little bundle of energy.

ameerat42
03-09-2013, 3:33pm
Update:
I went to the store today and they tried another battery in his camera - not did work. Tried his battery in the (about to become replacement) camera - POWER!

So they swapped the camera and the warranty card, but not the box. I took a shot in the store. All seemed OK and I left. Later I picked up the new, 2nd battery.

The storeperson certainly blamed the camera and not the battery. Oh, and I had checked the battery - it showed fully charged.

Well, he/I/and the store were all in good cheer, and they also provided a duplicate sales docket for duty-free-reclaim-at-airport purposes. ~$50 back.

Me::) nephew::D