PDA

View Full Version : Been a while

Lance B
19-08-2013, 5:16pm
But I have a reasonably good excuse, I have been touring Europe and the UK for the last month and since I got back I have been processing my 4078 photos. Trip itinerary was:
fly into Munich - 1 night
Drive to Strasbourg - 2 nights
Drive to Reims - 1 night
Drive to Bruges - 3 nights
Drive top Brussels - 1 night
Fly to London from Brussels and then drive to Reading - 1 night
Drive to Coventry - 1 night
Drive to Alnwick - 3 nights
Drive to Fort Augustus (Scotland) - 3 nights
Drive to Aberdeen via Inverness and Elgin - 1 night
Drive to Carlisle - 1 night
Drive to Liverpool (on business) - 2 nights
Drive to Telford - 1 night
Drive to Cardiff - 2 nights
Drive to Exeter - 2 nights
Drive to London - 2 nights
Fly home.

Of course, we stopped along the way betweem all of these destinations seeing the many sights to see and taking many photos. One of the reasons to go to Alnwick, which is on the north east coast of England just south of Edinburgh, was to go to the Farne Islands and photograph the Puffins and other sea birds that inhabit those islands.

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/151693383/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/151693384/original.jpg

For those interested, I will be posting more images of the places we visited in various threads as I finish processing them all.

Mark L
19-08-2013, 7:23pm
No doubt you had a good time. And if you didn't, then no doubt you've got some excellent photos to help you remember the not so good time.:confused013
These two are a good (wonderful) start, look forward to what you post.

Glenda
19-08-2013, 7:44pm
Fantastic photos. They're amazing looking birds and great that you've captured this one with a beak full of fish. Looking forward to the rest of your photos.

ricktas
19-08-2013, 7:47pm
Stunning Puffins! Cannot wait to see the 4076 other photos soon :D

salnel
19-08-2013, 8:03pm
Wow! What a wonderful start! These are just gorgeous , Lance. I was in England for 3 weeks too but no puffins:).

Mary Anne
19-08-2013, 9:12pm
Sounds like you had a ball Lance.. You know I am exhausted looking at your Itinerary you have certainly been on the go
And what great looking Puffins.. Will look forward to seeing all those other photo's when you get the time :2smile:

Lance B
19-08-2013, 10:56pm
No doubt you had a good time. And if you didn't, then no doubt you've got some excellent photos to help you remember the not so good time.:confused013
These two are a good (wonderful) start, look forward to what you post.

Thank you very much for your nice comments, Mark. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic photos. They're amazing looking birds and great that you've captured this one with a beak full of fish. Looking forward to the rest of your photos.

Thank you very much for your very nice comments, Lplates! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Stunning Puffins! Cannot wait to see the 4076 other photos soon :D

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Rick! :) Luckily, there are many photos that are rubbish so that 4076 is probably actually only about 476. :o

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! What a wonderful start! These are just gorgeous , Lance. I was in England for 3 weeks too but no puffins:).

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Sally! :) I hope you had a great time in the UK. What dates were you there?

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you had a ball Lance.. You know I am exhausted looking at your Itinerary you have certainly been on the go
And what great looking Puffins.. Will look forward to seeing all those other photo's when you get the time :2smile:

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments, Mary Anne! :)

It was a rather tiring trip, too much driving in reality. Next time, I am go I will stay in centrally located places and stay 4 nights or so at a time, like I did last time I was in the UK in 2010.

ving
19-08-2013, 11:16pm
Love puffins, such interesting birds

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk 2

salnel
19-08-2013, 11:23pm
Lance, I was there in may..one week in York, one week in oxford and one week in london. I am still going through all my photos too but I can't wait to see more of yours:)

Lance B
19-08-2013, 11:28pm
Love puffins, such interesting birds

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for your comment, Dave.

- - - Updated - - -

Lance, I was there in may..one week in York, one week in oxford and one week in london. I am still going through all my photos too but I can't wait to see more of yours:)

That's a more sensible way to do a trip, decent amounts of time in one place! :)

Looking forward to seeing your photos, too. :)

Alandme
20-08-2013, 10:25am
Great shots. The two photos could tell a story.
1. He looks worried. Could be late getting the meal home.
2. Too late , she's gone.

peterb666
20-08-2013, 12:51pm
Lance - thoroughly amazing pics of the puffin. Brilliant!!!

Lance B
20-08-2013, 2:17pm
Great shots. The two photos could tell a story.
1. He looks worried. Could be late getting the meal home.
2. Too late , she's gone.

Thank you very much for your lovely comments and captions, Alandme! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Lance - thoroughly amazing pics of the puffin. Brilliant!!!

Thank you very much for the very nice comments, Peter! :)

mongo
21-08-2013, 5:13pm
the classic Puffin with multiple lunches. Strikingly great shots - particularly #2 due to the extra colourful background. Very enviable shots Lance - great stuff. Waiting to see more of your trip.

Lance B
21-08-2013, 8:23pm
the classic Puffin with multiple lunches. Strikingly great shots - particularly #2 due to the extra colourful background. Very enviable shots Lance - great stuff. Waiting to see more of your trip.

As always, thank you for your lovely comments, Mongo! :)

Shelley
21-08-2013, 8:37pm
Wow Lance, if you weren't such a nice person and photographer, I would not talk to you, lol. I love the puffins and would love to get photos like this.

Sounds like you had a pretty full itinerary, but so worth it. Welcome back and look forward to seeing your photos from the trip.

Belly
21-08-2013, 10:51pm
Yes Lance it has been a while and it's good to see you back:th3: I look forward to more of your images and sounds like you had a busy but magnificent time away. The puffins are to the usual standard we've come to expect from you - just awesome:th3:

Lance B
22-08-2013, 7:48am
Wow Lance, if you weren't such a nice person and photographer, I would not talk to you, lol.

I'm blushing, thank you for your very kind words, Shelley! :o

I love the puffins and would love to get photos like this.

Sounds like you had a pretty full itinerary, but so worth it. Welcome back and look forward to seeing your photos from the trip.

Again, thank you very much for your very kind comments, Shelley! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes Lance it has been a while and it's good to see you back:th3: I look forward to more of your images and sounds like you had a busy but magnificent time away. The puffins are to the usual standard we've come to expect from you - just awesome:th3:

Thank you very much for your very nice comment, Belly! :)

ameerat42
22-08-2013, 8:53am
Puffin!?!? What bird wouldn't be with that GOBful!

(BTW, read any good books lately? I think I will borrow your excuse also.)
Am.

Lance B
22-08-2013, 4:46pm
Puffin!?!? What bird wouldn't be with that GOBful!

(BTW, read any good books lately? I think I will borrow your excuse also.)
Am.

LOL. Thank you for the comment, Am.

Allie
23-08-2013, 12:11am
For those interested, I will be posting more images of the places we visited in various threads as I finish processing them all.

I'm definitely interested - especially if any of the other 4076 (or 476) are as good as these and I know they will be! While I love the colour and detail in the Puffin both posed and in flight (so well done :th3:) the contrasting colours in those little fish are remarkable. :kewl:

Lance B
23-08-2013, 9:01am
I'm definitely interested - especially if any of the other 4076 (or 476) are as good as these and I know they will be! While I love the colour and detail in the Puffin both posed and in flight (so well done :th3:) the contrasting colours in those little fish are remarkable. :kewl:

Thank you ever so much for your lovely comments, Allie! :)

dbax
23-08-2013, 9:20am
he he I had to look twice at the first image, I thought that Puffin had an Octopus or Squid in its beak :D. Lovely sharp, colourful images:)

Lance B
23-08-2013, 5:06pm
he he I had to look twice at the first image, I thought that Puffin had an Octopus or Squid in its beak :D. Lovely sharp, colourful images:)

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, David! :)

helmutk
23-08-2013, 6:08pm
Fantastic captures Lance brilliant shots !

old dog
23-08-2013, 8:01pm
wow Lance...what great Puffin shots. I`d give my left......to get shots like these. You certainly got around in those few weeks.....good on you. I was just talking to my wife, Julie today and saying that travel is so wonderful...you come home a different person. China really changed me for instance. Love to go back again and do some areas like the silk road etc. Anyway glad you had a great time and have fun processing those 4k odd pics..:eek:. Decisions, decisions....

Lance B
24-08-2013, 12:14am
Fantastic captures Lance brilliant shots !

Thank you very much for your very nice comments (as usual!), Helmut! :)

- - - Updated - - -

wow Lance...what great Puffin shots. I`d give my left......to get shots like these. You certainly got around in those few weeks.....good on you.

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Graeme! :)

I was just talking to my wife, Julie today and saying that travel is so wonderful...you come home a different person.

Couldn't agree more. I love travel and seeing new places, meeting new people and seeing how they live etc.

China really changed me for instance. Love to go back again and do some areas like the silk road etc. Anyway glad you had a great time and have fun processing those 4k odd pics..:eek:. Decisions, decisions....

Haven't been to China, but maybe one day....

Thanks again for you comments and thoughts, Graeme! :)

mechawombat
24-08-2013, 7:08pm
Here I was thinking finally I can replace Lance B....

But NOOOOOO...... He comes back with AWESOME captures. I cannot wait to see the rest of the images.

Lance B
24-08-2013, 9:13pm
Here I was thinking finally I can replace Lance B....

But NOOOOOO...... He comes back with AWESOME captures. I cannot wait to see the rest of the images.

Thank you very much for your kind and lovely comments, Mechawombat! :)

Chamryre
25-08-2013, 9:23am
Amazing photos, just couldn't stop looking and finding more fine detail with each inspection. Looking forward o more.

outstar79
25-08-2013, 9:29am
O.M.G!!!! LANCE!!!!!! Truly masterful stuff mate! It is always a pleasure to view your birding images! :cool:

Ms Monny
25-08-2013, 4:25pm
Lance, that is a busy itinerary!! I must say, like all on here, the images of the puffin are amazing. I absolutely love the second image. They are a stunning bird.

Lance B
25-08-2013, 6:58pm
Amazing photos, just couldn't stop looking and finding more fine detail with each inspection. Looking forward o more.

Thank you ever so much for your wonderful comments, Chamryre! :)

- - - Updated - - -

O.M.G!!!! LANCE!!!!!! Truly masterful stuff mate! It is always a pleasure to view your birding images! :cool:

Thank you for your very very nice comments, Adam! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Lance, that is a busy itinerary!! I must say, like all on here, the images of the puffin are amazing. I absolutely love the second image. They are a stunning bird.

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Monika! :)

cupic
26-08-2013, 8:08pm
With these two just a sampler i cant wait for the gallery to appear.
I cant imagine the stress of lugging around a 400mm lens with you and the other glass as well.
800E is stellar and will suit your needs for the near future at least :-) TFS

cheers

Lance B
26-08-2013, 8:26pm
With these two just a sampler i cant wait for the gallery to appear.
I cant imagine the stress of lugging around a 400mm lens with you and the other glass as well.
800E is stellar and will suit your needs for the near future at least :-) TFS

cheers

Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Cupic! :)

Luckily, the new Nikon AF-S80-400 f4.5-5.6 is superb and is only 1.5kg. :)