PDA

View Full Version : Back button focusing?

Mark L
18-08-2013, 8:40pm
Do you use it or not, and why?
Is it more useful for certain subjects, like birds compared to landscapes?

Mat
18-08-2013, 8:58pm
I always use the back button focus. It removes the accidental focus change that could happen when you press the shutter. Also by removing the focus from the shutter button you have one less task for the camera to do so the time for the shutter to release is shortened albeit it is a small time but it is there.

Ms Monny
18-08-2013, 11:12pm
Well, report me to the RSPCA then!!!! :eek:

I have tried to use the back button focus but I just can't get a grip on it. It feels awkward. I know old habits are hard to die and I think maybe if I spent a bit of time on practicing, it may work out. Maybe that will be another way of me expanding my photographic skills!!

So to answer your question.....I only use shutter focus. :o

Kieran
18-08-2013, 11:59pm
I tried it but I put my left eye up to the camera to see. My right eye is worse than the left. This means I am looking over my glasses with my nose pushing up against the right side of the camera back. There just isn't enough room to get my thumb in there as well, without smudging my glasses and making the whole thing look very awkward. It may be just a matter of getting used to it but do others that use their left eye have the same issue?

JDFSandH
19-08-2013, 2:11am
I didn't. I didn't know about it (so beginner of me). Just read this and was intrigued. Spent the last half hour Googling about it and took about 5 random but perfectly focused photos in my almost pitch black room. I love it. So yes, I will be using this in future. It is so much quick than half holding the shutter and just listening to the lens zzzzzzp zzzzzzp at me before beeping to tell me it couldn't find anything. I mostly photo my kids so it will definitely come in handy. (I throw away so many photos where the camera just decided to focus on a knee)

JDFSandH
19-08-2013, 2:38am
Okay. Sorry. Didn't mean to come off as a crazy person. I'm on the other/weird side of tired and got a little excited. I have been trying to figure out how to do this for a while, especially yesterday when trying to shoot a fish in our tank. Was a bit of *focus>he swims out of frame>accidentally shoot rocks>try to focus again>can only focus on rocks*... Super frustrating, gave up after a while. So now I have a solution and I am happy.

Thank you for posting this. It never occured to me that there was an actual way to do it.

JasonR
19-08-2013, 7:11am
I started using it about 3 months ago and havnt looked back.
As others have said I find it easier to use cause your camera isn't trying to focus everytime you push the shutter.

Meags
19-08-2013, 7:42am
I've had a go at focusing this way but I'm finding it hard. For me, I keep forgetting to use it so it's more a matter of developing the habit.

As I'm a beginner I can't add anything about its usefulness in any given situation, but I'd be interested to hear what other more experienced photographers have to say.

agb
19-08-2013, 7:47am
I started using it after reading an article on using back-button focus with ai servo on the 7D, and find it very convenient. The only time I shift focus to the trigger is when I am using the camera with one hand while holding a flash with the other, say for macro work, and then I do sometimes put the focus back to the trigger.
Back-button focus, the hidden gem in convenience for me.

Dazz1
19-08-2013, 8:07am
I had no idea this existed. I have experienced the frustration of the shutter button causing re-focus every time it is depressed. My solution was to go to manual focus, and while that works, I can see this would be useful. I will experiment with it, thank you.

ROA44
19-08-2013, 8:13am
Thank you for thread never new about it so will have to read up about it.

Granville
19-08-2013, 8:49am
Thank you for thread never new about it so will have to read up about it.

Likewise. When I read this thread I went straight to the manual to read up on it. I'll give it a try for a few months and see if I can get used to it, or if it is something that helps.

etherial
19-08-2013, 8:59am
I use mine the opposite way around. I have it programmed to turn AF off because the majority of the time I'm shooting I want trigger finger focusing, but in the occasion I want to hold focus, I can simply hold the back button.

Fruengalli
19-08-2013, 10:24am
Same as etherial for me

wmphoto
19-08-2013, 11:27am
I've been using it for a while now. Find it very helpful in the 'focus - recompose' type scenario so that you can focus on your subject then meter for the whole scene. Like Kieran, I also wear glasses, and it is a PIA with the smudge marks all over my right lens but you eventually get used to working with it.

courty
19-08-2013, 11:45am
I'm a fan
I just find it more of a natural flow for me whilst working if that makes sense.

fillum
19-08-2013, 11:51am
I'm from the why-use-two-buttons-when-one-will-do school of thought, so focus with shutter button for me. Nothing against AF-ON, just never really found a need to use it.

Cheers.

I @ M
19-08-2013, 12:19pm
Back button focus is the only real way to focus!!!

Now seriously. It is!

It eliminates the focus chasing every time you press the shutter.

You can keep the autofocus switch in the on position and quickly change subject and refocus and not miss that shot like you would with the switch in the off position.

If something gets between you and your subject the camera won't try to refocus for whatever it is in front.

Saves batteries.

Every time you use shutter focus a kitten is killed.

All the above, ok, maybe not the last point :D, are very valid reasons to use that method.

I have troubles using a camera not set up for the af on ( back ) button set as the sole means of focussing now. To me it falls just in line with the way cameras are meant to work, a dial for the aperture ( or a ring on the lens ), a button or ring on the lens to focus with and a shutter button that performs one function alone.
Using a dedicated focus button that is set to lock when pressed and only to unlock either after an image is taken or the button is pressed again in combination with an exposure lock button set to stay locked until pressed or an image is taken and a shutter button that serves one purpose makes for a good combination all round to me.

Mary Anne
19-08-2013, 1:33pm
I use it, though not when shooting macro.

Lance B
19-08-2013, 5:04pm
Do you use it or not, and why?
Is it more useful for certain subjects, like birds compared to landscapes?

I use it all the time, best way to focus where and when I want, especially for bird photography, but I use it all the time with all photography now. Thumb goes on back button and forefinger on the shutter release and works a treat. Only one drawback and that is to remember to tell people how it works if you ask them to take a photo of you.

CapnBloodbeard
19-08-2013, 6:43pm
I use it for sports. Haven't really noticed any benefit for it myself though.

Heh, went to the zoo not long after changing the setting, completely forgot I had changed it though. Went through half the day manually focussing because I couldn't work out why AF wasn't working.

I @ M
19-08-2013, 6:52pm
I'm from the why-use-two-buttons-when-one-will-do school of thought, so focus with shutter button for me. Nothing against AF-ON, just never really found a need to use it.

Cheers.

Phil, there is a school of thought that says lenses with VR / IS work at their best when the VR / IS has been activated and then "settled" before the shutter is triggered.

Keeping the VR / IS activated using the rear button is easier than trying to squeeze the shutter to take a shot and then release it to the "half press" needed to activate the VR / IS if using the shutter alone.
There are some instances where the rear button will not offer many advantages over the shutter / focus method, it really depends on the "style" of photography being undertaken but over all I reckon it is a better way to go.

Glenda
19-08-2013, 7:53pm
After reading about it in another thread late last week I set my camera up and used it for the first time Sunday. Was concerned I'd forget it but didn't, found it easy and happy with the results. Probably didn't save any battery that day though as I kept zooming and checking on the lcd screen to make sure it was in focus.

swifty
20-08-2013, 12:11am
Yes, I use it for the same reason everyone else has stated.
I'm considering buying a different camera for its implementation of this alone (my current camera's back button is too small to access easily for AF-ON). Well not alone but its a big factor, to me at least. I am a bit :crzy: tho.

Brian500au
20-08-2013, 5:51am
I have been using it for a couple of years now after reading about it on this forum - now it is just normal. The only downside is I cannot pass my camera off to anybody and ask them to take a pic of me (including my wife) - so I am now living the life of never being in the pic (which i don't mind at all).

Stingray
20-08-2013, 6:54am
hrmm.. guess I've killed alot of kittens... didn't realise this existed (LOL),
as they say .. we are all learning something new everyday :)
off to change settings on the 60D and see how it works... :)
thanks

oxygen45
20-08-2013, 2:12pm
After getting very frustrated today trying to get off shots of birds and constant hunting and switching to MF I made the leap. :D Brilliant, why did I never use this before?:D Had read about it a few times and couldn't see the fuss, but after using it I doubt I will go back. Very easy to get the hang of though I suspect it will take a couple more outings to be adequately proficient.

Milbs1
20-08-2013, 2:27pm
I use it all the time have done for a few years now, first thing I change when I get a new camera!

michaellxv
20-08-2013, 2:47pm
I wasn't aware of it. Just looked up how to set it up so i'll give it a try.

Arg
20-08-2013, 3:13pm
There is a nice little (Canon) article, here: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/backbutton_af_article.shtml

I use it on occasion -- when it is beneficial.

ROA44
21-08-2013, 8:31am
Found this site which shows how to find/activate for Nikon & Cannon might help someone. I had to still hunt a little as menu was slightly different so just take note of this relevant to your model. I have found & did have a bit of a go Yesterday but need to try a bit more to get a proper feel and look at results but looking positive for me anyway.

http://improvephotography.com/4552/back-button-focusing/

Hope this helps.

arthurking83
21-08-2013, 11:19pm
Found this site which shows how to find/activate for Nikon & Cannon might help someone. I had to still hunt a little as menu was slightly different so just take note of this relevant to your model. .....

LOL! all you had to do was ask here.

Nikon's at least all have the same basic menu structure, and have had for many years now.
Not all cameras have this feature anyhow. I'm not entirely sure but I don't think the D3000 series, nor the D40/50/60 series before them have this as a feature at all.

AF-On on the models that don't have a dedicated AF-On button have the option in the menu to switch the AE-L button to operate as an AF-On button. These models don't have some of the settings that are associated with the intricate workings of a dedicated AF-On button either.

AF-On usually works best with continuous mode for AF set(but not strictly so) as part of the advantage of an AF-On method for focusing is to decouple the focusing system from the exposure release.

I've seen many landscape images where 'the wrong subject' seems to have been chosen as the point of focus, and this is most likely due to the way most cameras(or at least DSLRs) are setup by default, whereby in AF-S mode the camera's AF system must confirm focus before allowing the release of the exposure.

As an example, in a landscape image it's not uncommon to try to focus on something closer by and shooting with a small aperture trying to get a deep DOF for that scene.
But many folks seem to be stuck in using matrix metering mode, with the centre focus point set in the camera's AF system.
When the camera is set in this way, and the focus has not been set(or moved after being set) the camera may not allow the exposure .. so manual focus may need to be set with the small flip switch on the side of the camera.
Not all folks realize this, and just try to take the shot with the possibility that they think they've focused near to get a deep DOF, yet the camera may then refocus the image(unbeknownst to them) to where the focus point is set(usually the central point) and this is usually somewhere much deeper into the scene, if not at infinity itself.
Then they complain that their lens isn't sharp, or something silly like that.

As others have already said, AF-On is most beneficial in fast paced shooting conditions, once you've taught yourself how and why(which also presumes when and where too! :p)
But it's also handy for something as simple as a landscape, or any totally static environment as well .. and not for any benefit of focusing, but for the limitation of focusing errors, and/or a better workflow rate .... which eliminates the need to set and unset the camera(or lens) to the M mode for focusing via that annoying little switch (which is usually impossible to reach anyhow).

My AF preferences in camera are AF-On only: AF release unlocked: AF-C mode.

With the advanced cameras with a dedicated AF-On button, you can maintain AF-S focus mode and with the decoupled release still shoot without needing to confirm focus for every shot.
with the cameras that have the optional AE-L switch system, you need to set the camera to AF-C to have the option of not focusing for every shot. That is, you can create beautifully blurred images, without the need to switch to manual focus mode :th3:

MattNQ
22-08-2013, 12:13am
Yup, my d3000 can do it. So I assume the newer base models can do it. I feel a bit dumb now - been dslr-ing for almost 3yrs and had never heard of it. :rolleyes:
Doesn't help me for sport, but for other stuff it will be very handy.

sent from a not-very-smart phone via tapatalk

arthurking83
22-08-2013, 9:18am
I suppose I felt a little dumb not knowing of it back when I had the D70s too I guess.

When I first tried it, using the AE-L button change, I didn't really like it as much, as I tended to use AF-S more with my AF lenses.

If you set the AE-L button for focusing, then try the different focusing modes to complement it as well. Back in the day, we had two focus modes AF-C and AF-S(or nothing .. ie. Manaual). I think most new Nikon's have an AF-A mode, and even tho I now have a more modern Nikon body with this 'mode' .. I have no idea what it is and what it does.

If you set your AE-L button to focusing duties, and maintain AF-S mode for focusing, the camera won't(or shouldn't) allow you to take an exposure unless focus has been made(that's how AF-S mode works.
it's basically setting the camera to prioritise focusing rather than exposure.

But as my primary interest was in landscape photography, once it was explained to me that setting the camera to AF-C mode allowed me to focus where I liked and still shoot without needing to flip the AF/M switch(CSM on higher end bodies) to Manual, and then back for AF duties and so on .. well it just made for a much easier workflow.
So the camera stayed in AF-C mode ... and it's been my preferred focus mode ever since.

Later with the D300, it made even more sense, as the D300 with it's liveview allowed focusing to extreme points in the scene(if desired), but areas that may not have made any sense for spot metering on.
So focus would be set (as an example) way in the farthest reaches of a corner somewhere, but spot metering may have been taken at an opposing corner.

The point is that with AE-L set to focus duties and focus mode set to AF-C, you have a handy hybrid auto/manual focus system .. locked to neither one nor the other type, as long as the lens is not AF-D driven.
And with AF-S lenses mounted, you won't get annoying refocusing issues if your metering point is different to the focusing point.

One slight annoyance with some AE-L buttons, is the placement of them with respect to where a thumb may naturally fall when holding the camera comfortably.
I've just pulled the D70s out of the storage box, and noticed that for my hand size(glove size XL), the AE-L button is a fair stretch for a comfy grip on the camera, whereas the cameras with dedicated AF-On buttons are perfectly setup in terms of distance(to button) and grip size. D70s has always been a bane for me in terms of the size of the grip area .. being too small for my palm.
D300 and D800 are nigh on spot on, whereas D7000/7100 and D600(and smaller) sized camera bodies are too small for me to handhold comfortably for a long stint.

So it's a primary concern to feel comfortable when using a rear button for focusing as the action should be fluent, comfortable and natural to get the most out of it in many varied situations.

FWIW: I've worn out the lettering on the AF-On button on the 'ol D300. It now says A(with half an F next to it) on the button face! :D
All other controls are in close to pristine condition by comparison.

Arg
26-08-2013, 12:53pm
Oh yes it is! :eek: :eek:

geoffsta
26-08-2013, 5:45pm
I think most new Nikon's have an AF-A mode
I haven't seen that before. Where is it?

I @ M
26-08-2013, 5:56pm

Push your AF selection button and rotate the front command dial until "auto" shows.

Mark L
26-08-2013, 8:07pm
The link has been posted previously, but if you scroll down it gets to those other cameras that might help you Geoff .... http://improvephotography.com/4552/back-button-focusing/

I had to search to change my camera. Can't believe it's not highlighted more by the camera makers, as it seems quite useful to me.

rossco
26-08-2013, 8:13pm
never new it was an option until i saw this thread, tried it while learning to dominate my nd filter last weekend, ill never look back, it did take a touch getting used to though

arthurking83
26-08-2013, 9:03pm
..... it did take a touch getting used to though

This is a major sticking point for many.

Also note it also separates the knowledgeable folks from the knowitallwannabesmartypantsexperts too.

Set your camera up with only the AF-On button to focus, and in a focus mode that doesn't allow an exposure, without focusing(ie. focus priority mode)
Next time that loud mouth know it all at the party claims that your images ought to be good as you have an uber expensive camera doing all the work for 'ya ... shove it over to him and get him to take a picture with it .. see how good you can do .... just to show him that the camera is ONLY as good as the operator.

Of course, the camera will not focus for him, nor will it even fire an exposure, because:
A/ he doesn't know how to make it focus
B/ without the camera focusing, it won't allow an exposure.

Shuts 'em up in no time .. and you get back to enjoying the party :th3:

LOL! even funnier is watching them try to zoom and focus an old fully manual prime! :D .. they always ask 'ya .. "how the hell do you zoom?"

(answer is always the same) .... "put your left foot forward....." (at which point they look at you strangely) .. then very slowly explain to them this next part ... "now ... put your right foot further forward".

Initially they look at you funnily .. then it finally sinks in for them .... (answer)"yes, it's not a zoom lens" :p

geoffsta
26-08-2013, 9:10pm
h your AF selection button and rotate the front command dial until "auto" shows.
I have told a lie. I have used it... But never thought of it as AF-A. In "Movie" mode on the D800, it is amazing. It follows the subject perfectly. Now I must try it for stills.

Cage
26-08-2013, 9:19pm
Use it all the time.

For me it seems like my thumb just falls naturally on the back button.

Glenda
27-08-2013, 8:31am
Went to take a photo Saturday and thought why on earth won't it focus, then remembered I'd reset it to back button. Guess that could happen a couple of times before it becomes automatic to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Went to take a photo Saturday and thought why on earth won't it focus, then remembered I'd reset it to back button. Guess that could happen a couple of times before it becomes automatic to me.

doc
29-08-2013, 11:13am
Just saw this thread in the email newsletter. I have often chose to shoot manual focus to avoid the refocusing that happens with the shutter/focus option. Completely forgot about the back focus button. Time to go set it up and try it out again.

Whittler
30-08-2013, 10:50am
With my Fuji x100 I use back button because shutter focus is horrible most times but with my d700 shutter focus is awesome

woononabutch
01-10-2013, 11:58pm
Knew it existed, but generally use MF - just got used to it on my old Pentax K100D - Will have to look up manual for new K30 and give it the back button a try

Mark L
02-10-2013, 8:21pm
Well since I started this thread I've been using it.
Took very little to get used to and seems sensible to have the thump focusing and a finger only pressing the shutter button.
Think it was AK pointed out the benefit of not having to turn auto focus off on the lens when using a tripod and static subject (which I do nearly every week in this years members challenge). So much easier to use back button and focus is set. Camera doesn't want to refocus when I hit the shutter button or remote release.

Also found it good with moving subjects. Lost track of how many times I've been tracking something with finger half pressing shutter button, it's gets a little tired and just pushes that bit extra when I don't want. More deletes. Thumb pressed on back focus button helps make it simpler to decide when to take the photo. Example ..... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?124904-BIF-Nearly-but

Thanks to all that contributed to an informative thread.:th3:

CapnBloodbeard
02-10-2013, 10:38pm

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, I did that at the zoo. Spent about half an hour manually focussing thinking my AF motor had died before I remembered :P

Wizofoz
03-10-2013, 3:53pm
I've been shooting this way since I discovered the function a couple of years ago. I too have very large hand, and am a left eyed shooter who wears glasses (got the trifecta!) I find using the AF button so much more positive and controllable

I also shoot in Af-C most of the time, so I can use the back button, hold it in and let the camera track a subject. Much easier than the shutter release.

If you haven't tried it yet, give it a go...

ScottM
04-10-2013, 10:35pm
Great concept and feature built into modern cameras :) I've tried it a couple time before, but found that the button is in an awkward spot to get my thumb to if I need to shoot quickly.

I was thinking the other night after coming across this: the user definable function button on the front of the camera might be good too. Just picked the D600 up and found that it fell straight to my middle finger. Perfect ergonomically. Just checked the menus, and it can be set to AE/AF lock, AE lock only, AE lock (hold), AF lock only, or AF-ON, same as the button on the back. I'm going to give it a try :)

Might be useful for others too? :th3:

cupic
07-10-2013, 3:56pm
[QUOTE=Ms Monny;1171167]Well, report me to the RSPCA then!!!! :eek:

I have tried to use the back button focus but I just can't get a grip on it. It feels awkward.

Perhaps a Nikon with their AF button, works great and its in the right spot :)

Jad
09-10-2013, 11:57am
I always use the back button focus when photographing in manual mode and using my tripod, which is 99% of the time. If I am just walking around and taking snapshots I would use the shutter release button to focus. It really depends on what type of photography you are doing.

William
09-10-2013, 12:43pm
To be honest I dont know what it is or where to find it , Push the shutter button down half way to focus , Take the shot :confused013

AnnieP
09-10-2013, 5:27pm
Started using it a few months and wouldn't look back - it makes things so easy!

Mark L
16-08-2015, 10:27pm
Yep an old thread, but there's so many many people that have joined AP since it was started.

Gazza
16-08-2015, 11:32pm
Yep an old thread, but there's so many many people that have joined AP since it was started.
I've been using it ever since you hinted/suggested it at the "Magnificent Mini Mudgee Meet-up" (Phew!) I'm also now using the exposure lock right next to it. (On a Canon)
For me it's making life a little quicker and easier ....

My process:

Walk for 7 - 8 k's to locate suitable subject :o
Fumble madly for the camera
Point the right end in the general direction
Rough zoom and compose (Very rough)
Set focus on desired point and release
Lock exposure where I think best (Using 'Spot metering')
Re-compose
Fire off a round or 2 .....

Who said Males can't multitask? :D :D

:beer_mug:

Snpsht
17-08-2015, 7:07pm
I've been using it ever since you hinted/suggested it at the "Magnificent Mini Mudgee Meet-up" (Phew!) I'm also now using the exposure lock right next to it. (On a Canon)
For me it's making life a little quicker and easier ....

My process:

Walk for 7 - 8 k's to locate suitable subject :o
Fumble madly for the camera
Point the right end in the general direction
Rough zoom and compose (Very rough)
Set focus on desired point and release
Lock exposure where I think best (Using 'Spot metering')
Re-compose
Fire off a round or 2 .....

Who said Males can't multitask? :D :D

:beer_mug:

Pretty much my MO these days....xcept I'm a girl so it's easier for me :p

I didn' t like the half press at all, and on the K3 the AF button is positioned really well (thumb on it, forefinger on shutter release).

Dylan & Marianne
17-08-2015, 7:55pm
I only started using it recently and then thought , OMG why didn't I use this when Marianne and I were shooting weddings lol!
I use it all the time to photograph the kids and moving subjects
Handy for handheld panos and exposure blends once you've found the focal point it's just shutter all the way without having worry about playing with AF points or without having to focus and then switch to MF

channeL7
19-08-2015, 6:39pm
Use it now all the time. Since I discovered it 2 years ago I haven't changed it on my dslr. It is great for static subjects and for moving subjects it is a breeze to just keep it held down. I think for wildlife it is a life changer. Unfortunately my mirrorless is a little hampered in that department so I still use half press of the shutter there most of the time.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Mark L
19-08-2015, 10:23pm
^ well channeL7, that was your 7th post to AP. That will never happen again.:D
Happy BFBing.