PDA

View Full Version : Google WebP support? Replace JPEG, GIF and PNG

Kym
17-08-2013, 10:17am
Photographers and webmasters: get ready to say goodbye to png, jpeg and gif?

Google officially introduces the webp image format.

▶ Faster, smaller and more beautiful web with WebP.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tu2SJfSalA

▶ Faster, smaller and more beautiful web with WebP.....

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NidHQ-HAWpgQiYJ44gOfgcp_FQ2u59WE4eHuSvwddXY/present#slide=id.p19

Early days but bandwidth savings = faster web pages. Its has both lossy and loss-less capability (MUCH better than JPEG).
It is open licensed so no IP issues and is a great step forward.

Battery Hen
18-08-2013, 12:39pm
I'll rely on you to keep us informed, Kym. It's a bit nerdy for the technologically challenged, but get the drift of where it's heading. Thanks for the heads up - it's amazing what you pick up when you become aware of something, even at the margins.

aussie girl
18-08-2013, 12:51pm
Ok, so I am not that computer savvy especially when it comes to this sort of stuff. So, for the average jo-blow what exactly does this mean and how will it affect Mr Average-Jo Blow???
Am I right in interpreting this to mean that if I wanted to put something in an email, or on Facebook, or in an advert on Evilbay or Gumpmee that I would have to alter the photo to another format, which I would either need a program for to convert it, or my computer program would have that facility and capability of converting it, before putting it onto one of these types of sites??

ricktas
18-08-2013, 12:57pm
Ok, so I am not that computer savvy especially when it comes to this sort of stuff. So, for the average jo-blow what exactly does this mean and how will it affect Mr Average-Jo Blow???
Am I right in interpreting this to mean that if I wanted to put something in an email, or on Facebook, or in an advert on Evilbay or Gumpmee that I would have to alter the photo to another format, which I would either need a program for to convert it, or my computer program would have that facility and capability of converting it, before putting it onto one of these types of sites??

You will find the existing file formats are going to be around for quite a few more years. WebP is just attempting to standardise it. If it does take off, then once all the editing software packages get it as a 'file save as' option, it will be no more complex than saying a JPG is now. I wonder if the mobile phone market segment might not be the first to do so, especially as Google own Android, it would be easy for them to replace the standard JPG capture with WebP in an upcoming release of Android version update.

But for now, you do not have to change anything at all. JPG still works, as do all the other formats already in existence.

Kym
20-08-2013, 10:50am
Think of WebP as a new improved JPEG, smaller and yet better featured.
I'd think in 5+ years you will use WebP instead of JPEG.
JPEG will still work, but WebP is better.

Given Google making the IP free and backing it I would expect a quick take up.
The latest Corel Draw has WebP support.
I'd imagine Lightroom and Adobe CC to catch up quickly.

arthurking83
21-08-2013, 7:17am

Given Google making the IP free and backing it I would expect a quick take up.
The latest Corel Draw has WebP support.
I'd imagine Lightroom and Adobe CC to catch up quickly.

This is the key for it to succeed.
A broad takeup of the technology across all image editing/creating software.
Because the IP is open and free, there's no excuse for it not to be implemented.
(I just hope that my preferred software does)

ricktas
21-08-2013, 7:25am
VBulletin are already discussing implementation of it into the software (which runs AP)

I @ M
21-08-2013, 7:28am

Arthur, of course they will embrace it ---- around 2050. :rolleyes:

Kym
21-08-2013, 9:21am
This is the key for it to succeed.
A broad takeup of the technology across all image editing/creating software.
Because the IP is open and free, there's no excuse for it not to be implemented.

Several fronts are needed.
1. Browser support
2. Image edit/manipulation software (Photoshop et. al.)
3. Camera support
4. Print (i.e. Fuji photolabs etc.) support
5. Web sites to deliver graphics using it

So I think quick take up means ~5 years

The big plus is the loss-less option - which solves the JPEG quality issue for 8 bit formats

Does this mean we would stop shooting raw? No! But when we don't need to shoot raw WebP is a good alternate in a smaller format.

Kym
21-08-2013, 9:21am
VBulletin are already discussing implementation of it into the software (which runs AP)

We know why they are -- we raised it :D