PDA

View Full Version : $50 left out of my budget what should I get...?

coolhand78
13-08-2013, 1:50pm
So i set myself a budget and i've got $50 left to spend what do you guys think i should get...

extra battery
2nd SD card (have a D7100 and it takes two cards - i only have one)
cleaning gear
filter?

something else i haven't thought of?

ROA44
13-08-2013, 2:16pm
Always handy to have extra cards incase one does fail most are fairly reliable but if you are using multi-frome mode then you can soon fill them up. another point to consider as you progress and for or for when taking family record or event shots, some people swap cards over so that if a card does fail then you haven't lost everything and your not in the bad books and since you have two slots handy two have cards in both. You can get good quality cards quite cheap now to.

ricktas
13-08-2013, 2:20pm
Beer!

wideangle
13-08-2013, 2:43pm
Put it towards a monitor calibration tool.

Mark L
13-08-2013, 8:22pm
Remote switch? Though a second card's a good idea

arthurking83
13-08-2013, 8:37pm
Seconded the advice for a remote .. wireless at that.

Take a look at the Phottix Plato, 2.4Ghz wireless. One of my favourite and most used accessories on all my cameras over the years.

danny
13-08-2013, 9:12pm
SD card and IPad card reader.

Definitely need as many cards as you can buy. IPad card reader allows you to see shots on larger screen as well as email/facebook them when traveling.

Cheers
Danny

paulheath
13-08-2013, 9:27pm
second card, cant have too many cards lol..... or if you have an ipad, get yourself a camera to ipad conector/usb for tethered photography

MattNQ
14-08-2013, 12:27am
Rick beat me to it...A carton of Fat Yak I reckon.:D

I haven't kept up with all your threads - Do you have your CPL yet?

If not, save for a CPL. Best filter I ever bought.
Next would be GND or ND, depending on your landscape intentions
Next would be boring but important stuff - the card, battery, tripod, etc

coolhand78
14-08-2013, 9:40am
Rick beat me to it...A carton of Fat Yak I reckon.:D

I haven't kept up with all your threads - Do you have your CPL yet?

If not, save for a CPL. Best filter I ever bought.
Next would be GND or ND, depending on your landscape intentions
Next would be boring but important stuff - the card, battery, tripod, etc

yeah a CPL and tripod are my next two purchases. I've just got a loose $50 in my paypal account ;)

AdamR
14-08-2013, 9:45am
Beer and photography should come out of different accounts. You cant risk having no photography money and not having beer.

To me a 2nd battery is the first priority. Remotes, tripods, cards are all irrelevant if your camera wont turn on.

arthurking83
15-08-2013, 9:26am
Another option for 'about $50' could also be the WU-1a wireless unit.

This also acts as a remote control(minimal features tho), but it also helps to connect the camera to a smartphone, so you could upload any images to your preferred social sites.
They do sell for more than $50 tho .. something like $60-$80 depending on where you shop.

Basic rundown of what it does:

Allows you to control your camera via your smartphone wirelessly.
Controls exposure release, shutter speed, aperture value, focus points and a remote liveview screen on your mobile.

Apparently it's not without it's vices tho, but it sounds like a cool toy to have at your disposal. If I were in the market for a basic(yet slightly expensive) remote I guess this would be high on my list.

If you do a search for Nikon WU-1a on DPR, they have a brief writeup on how it works with their D3200(ie. inside) review. They haven't fully reviewed the WU-1a separately.

oxygen45
15-08-2013, 11:30am
Beer!

+1

Save some money until you have used it a while, you will quickly work out what else you need after a few outings. Some things I thought I needed still don't get used and others I never thought of get used regularly.

rossco
15-08-2013, 7:54pm
yep beer