PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Step in Adelaide

Ginger
26-07-2013, 8:34am
Hi guys,

I have decided to "get into Photography" a bit more after filling out my tax return.

in the past i have played around with a loverly old film slr and more recently a Alpha 350 mainly with kit glass but now i want to do it properly and get a nice camera with some really nice glass.

How ever whilst i am the type that emerse's my self in as much information as possible with new hobbys i seem to keep chasing my tail when it comes down to picking a new camera so i thought i would share my dilema with you all.

I will be shooting mainly my other interests in Paintball (not too fast moving but it can be dense scrub with deep shadow and dynamic range). Vintage cars (i own a Mini Moke and whilst i imagine the photos for this will be more tripod based with the cars parked a few motorkhana/ hill climb photos are a possibility). I own two very happy dogs who are getting a bit tired of having their photo taken in all different setting (but thats their bad luck). i also shoot a bit of archery when the weather/mood takes me.

Cameras on the short list (it keeps changing)
6d
d600
possibly the 70D (but its hard when its not out yet)

My questions are:

1. Should i abandon the full frame models for a crop? they do seem more limited in lower light and dynamic range does keep popping up as an issue in paintball. Lens setups are cheaper on crop aren't they.

2. im really tearing myself up with the nikon v canon debate as i am instinctively drawn to the canon but every one goes on about the focus points. Coming from the Alpha with a similar setup with the focus points i dont think it will be much of a problem and the nikon points seemed all crammed in the middle anyway. Im not shooting motogp or anything that fast so i think ill be happy with the one cross type in the middle

3. i dont think i can but i am also trying to convince myself to go mirrorless but the reduction in control and function doesnt seem to quite get them over the line for me

Anyway i have been reading through alot of the threads on here and it really great so i think ill get to posting up some photos and more specific questions after i have blown through the ATOs money.

ricktas
26-07-2013, 8:50am
Welcome aboard, see you on the forums. You would be better asking your gear questions in the gear forum as many do not read the intro's and don't expect their to be questions about gear in them. If you re-post your gear questions in the gear forum you will get help from those that like to delve into the intricacies of how it works, which is best in low light, etc

Kym
26-07-2013, 8:51am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

What do you want to photograph?
If it's more people and landscapes then the full frame is a great idea and the D600 is excellent.

Ginger
26-07-2013, 9:15am
thanks guys, i will post in the gear area i just got started with introducing myself with my past and what i like to shoot it seemed like the natural next step.

one question though when people say portraiture surly they are referring to the composition, feel etc of the shot so i can take a portrait shot of a car parked on the grass, archer at full draw, or paintball player laying in wait right?

Mary Anne
26-07-2013, 9:16am
Hello and Welcome to AP.. Will look forward to seeing what you post on the forums.

So many questions #1 It all depends what you want to shoot, yes a lot of EFS lens are cheaper than EF lenses.
I have the Canon EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 and that was not a cheap lens when I bought it though I prefer than on the 40D to the EF 24-105 L on the 5D Mk11
I like to shoot with prime EF lenses and there are plenty out there that are not that expensive and all brands.

#2 Canon v Nikon will always be there and there are other brands to look at, it has to be your choice go try them out and see how they all feel in your hands.

#3 I cant help you there...

I have been waiting for the successor of the 7D to come out now it seems it wont be till next year, instead I will be waiting to see the 70D in my hands also ..

Wayne63
26-07-2013, 9:37am
Welcome to AP Ginger, enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

Mark L
26-07-2013, 8:54pm
G'day and welcome from me also.
Go to a shop and feel some of the cameras in you're hands. Helped me, a couple just won't comfortable.

one question though when people say portraiture surly they are referring to the composition, feel etc of the shot so i can take a portrait shot of a car parked on the grass, archer at full draw, or paintball player laying in wait right?

Portraiture is photos of people (basically). Portrait and landscape refer to the aspect of composition. Kinda like the options when printing a document. Of cause I could be totally wrong. :):confused013
Hope to see you around AP.:th3: