PDA

View Full Version : flickr did you ......

rookie
25-07-2013, 4:31am
Flickr did you stay PRO or go the free terabyte way,just interested in what people have done and why. I'm still undecided .

OzzieTraveller
25-07-2013, 9:24am
G'day mate

I'm staying 'pro' as I dislike advertising getting in the way of the real stuff

Phil

mechawombat
25-07-2013, 10:52am
Stayed Pro.

stevo01
25-07-2013, 11:24am
Nope I changed to free, I don't mind putting up with the advertising as I really never notice anyway to be honest, I think my subconcious blocks it out, and 1 Terabyte is more than enough, I'll take the money and run thanks!

Roosta
25-07-2013, 2:27pm
No Adds - Pro all the way.

WhoDo
25-07-2013, 4:35pm
Yep, I stayed Pro too. Hope I don't regret it later but so far, so good. ;)

rookie
25-07-2013, 5:35pm
Yep, I stayed Pro too. Hope I don't regret it later but so far, so good. ;)
can't you pull out whenever you want Waz.
Wonder how long it will stay at $24.95
Thanks everyone for your replies

stevo01
25-07-2013, 5:44pm
I was thinking about this some more more and so I went to flickr to see if I could actually see any ads and I couldn't, perhaps Flickr hasn't implemented their 'advertising' yet but I couldn't see anything in my quick look. Does anyone with a free account know what ads the 'free' people have to put up with? I was just thinking that many people have said they are still paying purely because they don't want ads and perhaps there isn't that much difference, of course Flickr may start increasing the use of ads (or start if they haven't actually started this yet) in which case the free people, like me, are at the mercy of whatever Flickr want to do.

Mark L
25-07-2013, 7:48pm
I use FF and have a pretty good ad-blocker.
Though I don't use flickr (yet).

WhoDo
25-07-2013, 8:40pm
can't you pull out whenever you want Waz.
Wonder how long it will stay at $24.95
Thanks everyone for your replies

Not worried about getting out later ... just thinking about the redesign that hasn't really made much difference to me other than slowing down the loading of the main page. Hopefully it's a work in progress and things will get better. Otherwise I'll consider spending my money at Smugmug instead. :confused013

Bintryin
27-07-2013, 6:09pm
Pro all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers Mike

sunny6teen
30-07-2013, 10:03pm
ditched the whole thing

Mark L
31-07-2013, 10:39pm
ditched the whole thing
And do you use and/or recommend something else to host photos?

sunny6teen
31-07-2013, 11:22pm
And do you use and/or recommend something else to host photos?

using 500px at the moment. someone suggested 1x to me but I haven't had time to check it out.
it was flickr's new layout that I objected to...pretty ugly

Doktaduck
01-08-2013, 9:49am
I've stayed pro atm. Hoping that they actually turn around and expand the functions that pro's get. Other than seeing how many people look at my photos, I'm not really getting anything out of it since the change..

(I do wish we could change our photostream...)

stevo01
01-08-2013, 5:29pm
Hoping that they actually turn around and expand the functions that pro's get.

I doubt that will happen as the pro account is grandfathered (i.e. not offered anymore) so why would they put any effort in to giving those on an old plans any extra features, they want people to move across to the new plans.

Old Skool
01-08-2013, 11:15pm
I ditched Pro and so far haven't seen any adverts - at least not noticed any?? Only thing I miss is the Statistics that used to come with Pro.
I am in the process of uploading all my photos as another form of backup - using the resize to make pics only 2048px so will never use the 1Tb I reckon.
I didn't like the new layout at first but have grown to like it - it's so much easier to quickly view pics in a set now just scrolling through multiple images rather than viewing them 1 by 1.

rookie
02-08-2013, 6:06am
Just checked out my sons free account and yes next too no adds but I dont know how long that will last.I dont like all these new changes so might ditch the whole lot and find a new site.

neil70
02-08-2013, 8:54am
i'm still on the pro account

fillum
02-08-2013, 9:51am
Flickr did you stay PRO or go the free terabyte way
Yes. :)

Both actually. I have my 'usual' account which I had renewed not long before the change, so I'll keep it for the time being. I don't use it a lot, mainly for linking elsewhere.

I also have another account that I set up for sharing sport photos but hadn't used for a while because I didn't like the presentation aspect of it. However, prior to the flickr changes I was intending to start using it again and needed to upgrade to "pro" because of the previous file limitations, but I hadn't got around to upgrading. The changes to flickr actually make it better for this purpose - less restrictions on the number of files and also a better presentation mode for non-flickr users. Having said that, I'm now looking at using Dropbox for sharing as it seems to be a lot simpler to maintain and use for what I want.

Cheers.

Brandy
15-08-2013, 1:52pm
I have stayed pro, but since the change I have no idea how to share photos with this site.

any ideas?

WhoDo
15-08-2013, 6:42pm
I have stayed pro, but since the change I have no idea how to share photos with this site.

any ideas?

Yep. You still have access to the appropriate BBCode through the little icon on the main page for the photo that looks like a little box with an arrow coming out of it. When you hover your mouse over it the text says "More ways to share". Just copy the BBCode and paste it into your forum message here. Easy. :th3:

GTV6FLETCH
02-09-2013, 6:31pm
stayed on pro here too

ameerat42
02-09-2013, 7:45pm
I d:on't use Flickr (and will be available for public whipping at lunch time on the 31 February each year).

DonUnder
14-09-2013, 6:54pm
Pro here - but only because of some weird behaviour with the Lightroom plugin on the free version (can't even remember the details).

I usually just use 500px or my own site now though so may go back to the free version.