PDA

View Full Version : Focus on 7d

Brandy
23-07-2013, 9:23pm
When I first turn my 7d on, it won't auto focus (I use back button focus). I have to manual focus once, and then the auto focus works well. Does my camera need to have a service?

Thanks for any info on this problem.

fess67
23-07-2013, 10:11pm
Odd one.

I think a little diagnostics may be required. Not that any of us may be able to solve the problem but it may help to narrow the issue down.

Does it happen EVERY time?
Does it happen on EVERY setting, TV, AV, M...etc?
Does it happen with EVERY lens?
Will it autofocus with the main button?
Have you tried a reset to default?
What focus mode? AI Servo?
blah, blah, blah

You get the idea. I suppose I am trying to say that the more information you have the more secure you will be in your decision that something is wrong with the camera rather than a lens or a battery or a memory card..etc ..etc. Even explore odd things like take the battery out, turn the camera on for a minute, then off, then put battery back in again.......used to work on old laptops so you never know :)

ps. - use a notepad and document what you do, you will love yourself later when people like me ask silly questions :D

MarkChap
23-07-2013, 10:17pm
Also try cleaning the contacts on both the lens and the body.

It really does sound more like a lens issue than a body issue to me

rookie
24-07-2013, 5:25am
Hope its not your 24-105 playing up

Roosta
24-07-2013, 11:37am
As above, is it only happening to the one lens? The 24 - 105 are known for ribbon failure (If an older lens)

If it's generic to more then one lens, do as Mark has suggested, but go easy on the contacts. If not, I'd reset the functions to standard and then try it.

Has someone else used it, and set the focus up differently? and so on.

Brandy
25-07-2013, 8:29pm
I will try all the suggestions. It is my bird camera and it happens on my 100-400 lens and my new 400 5.6L lens. I don't tend to put any other lens on this camera. Thanks for your suggestions and I will try it out tomorrow.

bricat
30-07-2013, 5:43am
Any results as yet?

Brandy
07-09-2013, 10:50am
I have finally got it to work. Seems all I had to do was clear all my custom settings and start again. All good now and thank you all for your time.

arthurking83
07-09-2013, 4:09pm
So, it's possible that you inadvertently set some custom function for the AF system.

It'd be good to know, for your own peace of mind, what setting caused the issue so that the problem doesn't repeat itself in the future.

wmphoto
08-09-2013, 1:00am
I would suggest it was C.Fn III-4: Lens Drive when AF Impossible. When set to on the autofocus will stop trying to focus if it can't find a focal point to stop the system "hunting".

Brandy
09-09-2013, 1:13pm
I would suggest it was C.Fn III-4: Lens Drive when AF Impossible. When set to on the autofocus will stop trying to focus if it can't find a focal point to stop the system "hunting".
Could be, as I know I had fiddled about one day. Lesson - stop fiddling. Thanks.