PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Then & Now

martycon
18-07-2013, 7:55pm
I found some prints from my 1955 first outing with a better class of camera. They were taken from City Hall Tower. Forgot how close Roma St Stn is. Zeiss Contaflex 35mm SLR. No light meter, no inter change lens. Print finish (DIY) is semigloss so didn't scan well. Looks like noise but isn't. Removed sepia like cast, and lightened two. Included recent View of city hall tower.
The Contaflex cost 58 pounds and 14 shillings in 1955. At that time a base model cannon cost over 120 pounds. My wage was 7 pounds 8s a week, and a tradesman carpenter earned 12 to 15 pounds a week gross.
In retrospect, Brisbane was a bit drab then, and BW didnt' help. However today it is in my opinion the best looking city in Aust. (me in no way being biased).

Mark L
18-07-2013, 9:12pm
The first three show a different time.

However today it is in my opinion the best looking city in Aust. (me in no way being biased).
Lucky Mudgee's not a city. (me in no way being biased):)

martycon
18-07-2013, 11:49pm
Had not noticed that. You are most perspicacious. I agree that Mudgee is a BEAUT town, and I would prefer to live there than Brisbane, especially if it were a little warmer.