PDA

View Full Version : OK, look! I've been looking and looking, but...

ameerat42
29-06-2013, 10:52am
(OK, only in local camera stores) but I'm yet to find a suitable (well, I thought backpack-type) camera bag.

Here's what I'm looking for to replace my 1980s-style, Tristar-brand camera "schoolport" for travelling, and a soft day-pack bag for hiking:

I think a backpack...
It has to be able to take a DSLR with a Σ50-500 telephoto lens attached...
Have compartments for a 2X converter and another lens (I don't take that many with me)...
Be cabin-luggage compatible...

And, since it will become the main and serious bag for transport AND hiking it must also:
be big enough to also take a netbook computer AND 2 pairs of socks and the same in unmentionables.

Nothing I've seen so far has been good enough. Yes, you pay the dough - it's "camera-gear" after all - but you only get a compromise.

Ta, Am(getting anxious!).

PS: Can't somebody say: "Yes, get a such-and-such..."
PS again: I really thought it would be easier than this.

Roosta
29-06-2013, 11:41am
Can you advise as what you have found that wont work?

Some suggestions - I have a Lowepro 300 pro runner, worked a treat in NZ. Also the new Lowepro pro trekker are suppose to be a great bag.

http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/pro-trekker-400-aw

swifty
29-06-2013, 11:45am
Will either of these work?

http://www.guragear.com/bataflae-18l/

http://www.guragear.com/kiboko-22l/

I use to own the larger kiboko but was too big for my needs and lacked a laptop compartment.
These two backpacks do have laptop compartments but are smaller. The smaller bataflae 18L can only do a maximum of a DSLR and 70-200 attached.
I'm not sure how big the 50-500 is in comparison.
The Kiboko 22L is larger but if that's still not big enough, the larger Bataflae and Kibokos are very spacious and yet airline cabin luggage ok but lacks laptop compartments.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh when I said I use to own the larger kiboko I meant the 30L one, not the 22L that I linked.

Epoc
29-06-2013, 11:53am
Lowepro Computrekker??

ameerat42
29-06-2013, 2:31pm
Can you advise as what you have found that wont work?

Some suggestions - I have a Lowepro 300 pro runner, worked a treat in NZ. Also the new Lowepro pro trekker are suppose to be a great bag.

http://store.lowepro.com/backpacks/pro-trekker-400-aw

Can't remember the exact ones, but a couple of Lowepros and a couple of Tatas. Will now look at what you, Swifty and Epoc have suggested.
Ta, Am.

blkmcs
29-06-2013, 2:33pm
You might find something here.. http://www.tenba.com/Categories/Backpacks-Daypacks.aspx

I @ M
29-06-2013, 3:07pm
Am, be a good lad and duck over to Gladesville to site advertiser Digital Camera Gear (http://www.digitalcameragear.com.au/contact-us/contacts/contact-us) and have a look at their range of Vanguard bags (http://www.digitalcameragear.com.au/shop/camera-bags-cases/vanguard-bags).

From what I have seen in the past the Vanguard bags are of the same standard as the usual suspects out there ( AK83 has one from memory ) and come out of probably the same Chinese / Vietnamese factories as lowepro, think tank and Tamrac etc but don't cost as much.

ameerat42
29-06-2013, 3:19pm
Hmm! Tell you what, Andrew, I like what I see there, both features AND price. Come to think of it, the prices are also
a feature. Yes, and in this weather I will DUCK over there poste haste. OK, it'll have to be Monday.
Ta for that.
Am.

Boo53
29-06-2013, 4:38pm
Am

I don't have one of these bags myself (yet) but I bought a Lowepro flipside 300 for my eldest son about a year ago for him to use exactly as you've mentioned. It easily fitted my a65 with a 120-400 siggy attached and had plenty of room for jocks and socks , etc: He's taken to europe 2 or three times since, all for work and as he's a software engineer a laptop was encluded.

One of the reasons I bought that model for him is that the opening is against your back when you're wearing it. You have to take any pack off to access it so opening on the outside or against your back makes no difference in that respect, but against your back makes it more secure when wearing as no-one can nick things simply by undoing your zips.

Google provides these photos
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=lowepro+flipside+300&client=firefox-a&hs=Gq9&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Q3DOUYuGFsmziQeK54CIBg&ved=0CF0QsAQ&biw=1445&bih=883#facrc=0%3Blowepro%20flipside%20400&imgdii=_&imgrc=_

- - - Updated - - -

Am

I don't have one of these bags myself (yet) but I bought a Lowepro flipside 300 for my eldest son about a year ago for him to use exactly as you've mentioned. It easily fitted my a65 with a 120-400 siggy attached and had plenty of room for jocks and socks , etc: He's taken it to Europe 2 or three times since, all for work and as he's a software engineer a laptop was encluded.

One of the reasons I bought that model for him is that the opening is against your back when you're wearing it. You have to take any pack off to access it so opening on the outside or against your back makes no difference in that respect, but against your back makes it more secure when wearing as no-one can nick things simply by undoing your zips.

Google provides these photos
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=lowepro+flipside+300&client=firefox-a&hs=Gq9&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Q3DOUYuGFsmziQeK54CIBg&ved=0CF0QsAQ&biw=1445&bih=883#facrc=0%3Blowepro%20flipside%20400&imgdii=_&imgrc=_

ameerat42
29-06-2013, 6:00pm
Ta John. That looks good too.
Am.

mikec
01-07-2013, 2:23pm
Am, check out F Stop bags (http://fstopgear.com/), they are US based but I've got one of their Guru's and it's a great bag.

Their Mountain series would fit the bill of your requirements and then some.

ameerat42
04-07-2013, 1:24pm
Am, be a good lad and duck over to Gladesville to site advertiser Digital Camera Gear (http://www.digitalcameragear.com.au/contact-us/contacts/contact-us) and have a look at their range of Vanguard bags (http://www.digitalcameragear.com.au/shop/camera-bags-cases/vanguard-bags).

From what I have seen in the past the Vanguard bags are of the same standard as the usual suspects out there ( AK83 has one from memory ) and come out of probably the same Chinese / Vietnamese factories as lowepro, think tank and Tamrac etc but don't cost as much.

OK, so now I've been there and done that, and can report that I saw a Vanguard for $138 and a Lowepro for $163. And I came away with more pros and cons...

The Vanguard was nice and roomy and had zipped compartments here and there. (I was thinking about my socks.)
But, its main camera access was from a side panel. OK, I could live with that.

The Lowepro was mostly a single zipped compartment with lots of velcro dividers that could be arranged to suit one's gear. Its laptop storage
facility was a bit more ho-hum than the Vanguard's, and my socks were going to find it hard to get a look-in.

But I will decide between these two. All the others - though some were "heavily discounted" - cost upwards of $250, and typically $300s.
They also looked LARGE-LARGE.

BOTH bags looked good and equal in terms of material, stitching, padding, zippage and strappage.

So there I am.
Am(still there, or maybe a bit closer).

Roosta
04-07-2013, 3:01pm
Let us know what you decide on AM, and the main points as to why please. Could make for a good product review in the appropriate forum. :D

ameerat42
04-07-2013, 3:42pm
Let us know what you decide on AM, and the main points as to why please. Could make for a good product review in the appropriate forum. :D
:eek:UCH! Now yer twisting my arm...

Well, see what I can do.
Am.

hakka
04-07-2013, 4:11pm
http://fstopgear.com/product/mountain/loka#.UdUDzcsaySM

ameerat42
04-07-2013, 4:13pm
Ta hakka, but my budget is about an entry level bag, somewhere around the $150 mark.:o:(
Am.

Rattus79
04-07-2013, 5:18pm
What Epoch said.

The lowpro computrekker is the ideal bag for your requirements (and mine)

It's got a good interior that you can setup how you want, can carry large lenses and a laptop up to 17 inches

I manage to fit into mine:
sigma 10-20
sigma 50 1.4
sigma 70-200 2.8
Tamron 17-50 2.8
2x bodies (one without a lens the other on the 70-200)
chargers x2
filters in hardcases x 4
flash transmitters and miscelaneous cleaning equipment
laptop
and strap a tripod on the outside.

It has a half decent hip suspension system and disperses the weight over your hips/shoulders well without being overly hot on your back.

oh, and it has a rain cover as well.

I usually use this as my lugging bag and then pack a day bag (flipside 200) when i get there depending upon what I'm doing on the day.

ameerat42
04-07-2013, 5:52pm
Ta. It looks suspiciously like the one I saw today, but that one was going for $163. I wonder if it could be the same bag???
I'll call him back tomorrow and ask him.
Am.

hakka
04-07-2013, 6:36pm
Ta hakka, but my budget is about an entry level bag, somewhere around the $150 mark.:o:(
Am.

In that case look at the lowepro flipside 400aw.

mikew09
04-07-2013, 7:56pm
Have had a Lowepro Flipside 400AW for about 18 months now and found it to be the best bag I have had and no plans to replace it. Don plenty of domestic fly time with it and never any problems, fits in overhead just fine.

Always packed with Canon 50D Gripped, 70-200 L f/4, 24-105 L, Canon 10-22 UWA, 1 x 430 flash, 1 x 580 flash, a set of filter and holder, 4 x Yougnu flash triggers, remove control for remote exposures and 3 plastic diffusers for the 580 plus some lens cloths, 6 CF mem cards, lens pen. All fits pretty neat and the backpack is very comfotable. Have worn it for an all day shoot and all good.

In the front compartment I will have maybe my wallet, iPhone pen small note book etc. Often have a plastic bag with some fruit or a sandwich stuffed in there too. That is about all that will fit within reason I think. The best thing I have found with this bag is it opens from the back which means when you put the bag down to access your gear you don't end up with dirt etc on the padding of the back pack when you put it back on.

It is without a dount it is the best bag I have had out of the 4 previous which I changed within 6 months until I good the current.

I think the next size up can take a notebook but not sure it is plane cabin friendly.

Oh, I neglected to mention I also have the battery charge unit in the bag also.

Cage
04-07-2013, 8:03pm
Gee am, I went through this exercise a couple of years back. I had to have a backpack!

Did all the research on what I thought I needed and settled on a Lowenpro Rover AWII.

Great bag. Still sitting in the cupboard with all the tags still on it. Never seen the light of day.

ameerat42
04-07-2013, 8:06pm
In that case look at the lowepro flipside 400aw.

Ta. You just reminded me. That was exactly the bag I saw today, for $163.
Am.

Stingray
04-07-2013, 9:05pm
Sounds like you're going through the same "trek" that I've just completed .. LOL
Needing to upgrade from multiple bags to one "backpack" that would do it all for me :)
I had a similar budget, not really wanting to spend more than ~$150 or so... wanting to have it for hiking as well
In the end tho, I went for the Lowepro Flipside 20L AW, it was more like $220, so ended up on laybuy ..
but it fits all my gear, camera with 120-400mm lens attached and spots for spare lenses plus room for the few others I plan to get as time goes by.
It looks a lil "splayed" out in the pic but it closes fine and isn't "squished", plus there's straps on the side for carrying a tripod (and has all weather wrap that's tucked in the bottom, ready to pull out when raining)

ameerat42
04-07-2013, 9:10pm
Ta Daz. That looks like the go. The cheaper one might still be the one for me, though.
Am.

hakka
04-07-2013, 10:17pm
Ta. You just reminded me. That was exactly the bag I saw today, for $163.
Am.

I paid around $100 from ebay.

Mark L
04-07-2013, 10:39pm
Gee am, I went through this exercise a couple of years back. I had to have a backpack!

Did all the research on what I thought I needed and settled on a Lowenpro Rover AWII.

Great bag. Still sitting in the cupboard with all the tags still on it. Never seen the light of day.

Excellent.:)
So Am, have you sent Kevin a PM yet?:)

ROA44
04-07-2013, 10:58pm
The one I got was the lowepro computrekker and fits the Sig 120-400, 2 kit lenses and a 35mm-1.8 plus a 15" laptop + cables portable HDD's, the usual stuff. Current buy now Cost Including delivery is $87.95 this is the same seller I bought mine from last year and I've got no problems with mine.

ameerat42
05-07-2013, 8:43am
Excellent.:)
So Am, have you sent Kevin a PM yet?:)

As a matteroffact it didn't dawn on me (even tho I get up at 5:30).
Talk of being...
Am.

Cage
05-07-2013, 2:35pm
Your Lowepro Flipside 400 AW for $163.00 ???????

How's $63.85 ( or offer) on ya doorstep sound? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lowepro-Flipside-400-AW-DSLR-Camera-Photo-Bag-Backpack-Weather-Cover-Black-/321135064534?pt=US_Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item4ac52435d6

ameerat42
05-07-2013, 5:59pm
It sounds good, but they're probably imitations:( - just like the originals:(:(

ROA44
05-07-2013, 8:14pm
I know mine appears to be genuine, the seller has bee around since 2009.and is advertising regularly.

The one I have is very similar to stingrays except black and holds about 6 lenses.

Epoc
05-07-2013, 9:14pm
Computrekkers which by the way i just found out are now discontinued by Lowepro but not by counterfeiters, retailed for $269. You decide if yours is genuine ;)

ROA44
05-07-2013, 10:57pm
I think it was still current when I got mine, but that was about 12 months ago, so not sure when they were discontinued.

If mine is not genuine then it's been a very good copy.

:crossed:

Cage
06-07-2013, 11:37am
It sounds good, but they're probably imitations:( - just like the originals:(:(

As alluded to above, if my bag is not 'genuine' it is a mighty fine bit of counterfeiting.

ameerat42
09-07-2013, 4:01pm
I'm going to have a look at a Tamrac Evolution 8 (http://www.tamrac.com/products/evolution8/) for $120.:):o
Big mistake?
Am(I making?).

GoldZilla
12-07-2013, 5:52am
If you can still find one (apparently they're discontinued), I'd recommend you snap up a Lowepro Fastpack 250 or 350 (the 350 can carry a 17" laptop).

- - - Updated - - -

If you can still find one (apparently they're discontinued), I'd recommend you snap up a Lowepro Fastpack 250 or 350 (the 350 can carry a 17" laptop).

Probably best to check if you can fit the 50-500 lens in there though - I don't have one, so I have no idea how long it is compared to a 70-200...

Allie
13-07-2013, 12:04am
I bought this one (http://www.shopbot.com.au/pp-lowepro-flipside-500-aw-price-389372.html) to hold my 150-500 lens along with everything else I don't get around to using - not that I've actually put anything into the bag .... ummm, but it is there if I want to ...... I would not say it is the lightest bag around but it looks very nice sitting up there in the top part of the wardrobe. ;)

ameerat42
15-07-2013, 9:45am
Ta folks. Today I am going to look (sharply) at that Amtrac Evolution 8. If it's as good as the salesperson says, then I might
just walk out with my gear in it. $120 is not so much to part with IFFF it's that good.
Am.

ameerat42
18-07-2013, 1:01pm
Update: the search is over. No, that Evolution 8 was just not suitable for me.
Today I got a LowePro 300AW. Cost $161. I think that's OK. Best I could find on-line, anyway.
Ta for all your help.
Have updated other thread.
Am.

Roosta
18-07-2013, 1:10pm
I know you'll be happy with it too. There great bags, comfy on the longer hikes.

martycon
25-07-2013, 11:38pm
Have you thought about a "compact" ute?

ameerat42
26-07-2013, 3:16am
Have you thought about a "compact" ute?

:lol: How I miss the back seat of the car when I am carrying the gear instead.
Actually, the Lowepro350AW - which totals only 7kg - is quite easy to carry now. It's a bit slow unslinging it and removing gear from,
but otherwise...
Am.