PDA

View Full Version : Total Beginner, please be kind :)

Debbie
28-06-2013, 11:59pm
Hi Everyone,

I am a total novice to photography. My partner on the other hand has formal training, and a camera permanently attached to him. My 17 year old son has also been bitten by the bug - between them they have some serious Canon equipment, I am usually the photographers assistant, well, I do a bit of editing and hold the spare lenses on the photo hunts :p I love those photo hunts!!

For my birthday this week I was presented with a Samsung NX300 which I am trying to learn, I know it's not a Nikon or a Canon but seems impressive to me, so I look forward to hearing any advice you may have and sharing my 'snaps' with you and to the inspiration I am sure you can give me. I am very interested in macro, black and white and altered images.

Warmest Regards,
Debbie

CandidTown
29-06-2013, 5:56am
I hear that this is a superb camera. Don't be intimidated by the fact that it's not a Canon or Nikon. It can produce images of the same quality as the big toys.
Your first challenge is to find a way to disable all the gimmicks and auto shooting modes. face recognition, blink recognition etc... and take control of your camera. Otherwise it will be the camera which will decide what you shoot and how.
I'm a mirror-less shooter myself who migrated from a big Canon to a Fuji and I can promise you that with my little Fuji I produced some of my best images.
Good luck with your new camera. Im sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.

ricktas
29-06-2013, 6:13am
welcome to AP Debbie. pull up a chair and join right in.

Kym
29-06-2013, 9:15am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

ameerat42
29-06-2013, 9:34am
Hi Debbie. I'll be even kinder: Hang around AP and you'll soon be showing them some ropes - Canon or not.
That's not a bad camera you've got there.
Am.

Mary Anne
29-06-2013, 10:26am
Hello Debbie :action66: and Welcome to AP.. Will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums.

Tikira
29-06-2013, 12:07pm
Welcome Debbie. Join in and very soon you will have the pleasure of seeing your "boys" turn green with envy as you outshine them. Trust me, men can get a little complex when that happens (I know from experience):D

Di

Debbie
29-06-2013, 3:37pm
Thank you for the lovely warm welcome! My partner is the one who gave me the NX300, he works away so has not seen it yet...by the sounds of it I will be wrestling it from him, he is quite excited about the capabilities it potentially has. I have the camera in manual, I like to have the freedom to make mistakes...I find its the best way for me to learn what the settings do. Thanks again for all your hello's and encouragement.
Deb :)

Wayne63
29-06-2013, 7:54pm
Welcome to AP Debbie, Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

Alpacamike
29-06-2013, 9:09pm
Welcome abroad Debbie, hope to see some of your work soon.:)

Mark L
29-06-2013, 9:53pm
G'day Debbie. Welcome to a good place to learn, share and help others.
Don't be afraid to post photos and ask questions.
Don't worry to much about those men in your life and their equipment (all right, you can worry about them, but not their equipment). Just enjoy your own photography:). Hang around AP a little and you'll enjoy it a little more. After all, you'll need a different perspective.:th3:

Debbie
29-06-2013, 10:39pm
haha, thanks Mark, I am still finding my way around in here. Once I find my feet I will jump into the forums :2tenni:

Goatch
29-06-2013, 11:02pm
Debbie ,
There is a wealth of knowledge here on this site and great people to boot who don't mind sharing their secrets with you , take any criticism in your stride and don't take it to heart as they are only trying to help you , I guarantee you will learn from them and grow as a photographer with their help and advice..:D Have Fun:)