PDA

View Full Version : I need a high MP waterproof camera to take skiing

coonachic22
17-06-2013, 5:18pm
Hi all,

I am DESPERATE for a good waterproof camera. The one I really want is a Sony Cybershot DSC-TX20 but it appears to be discontinued. Does anyone know it they have brought out a replacement model or something?? If you have other ideas, I would like a camera that I can take skiing and swimming with me, I would like 12-16 megapixels if possible. The budget is $250.

Please help me out

Thanks

ricktas
17-06-2013, 5:42pm
have a look at the Olympus range of 'tough' point and shoots. Olympus make extremely good all weather/underwater units that are ruggedised.

http://www.olympus.com.au/Products/Stylus-Compact-Cameras/Tough.aspx

but to get something good you will need to reconsider your budget limits. However the top of the range TG-2 is available from our site advertiser eglobal (look under waterproof cameras - olympus) and that brings it down a bit closer to your budget. You would be buying out of Hong Kong though, rather than from an Australian supplier.

I @ M
17-06-2013, 6:09pm
Quality wise the Panasonic Lumix DMC TS5 is hard to beat http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/panasonic-lumix-dmc-ts5-panasonic-ft5-digital-camera.html

Or to fit your budget, the Pentax Optio WG-3 appears to work well. I have been having a look at one owned by a guest here and it has an easy to use interface, a pretty rugged feel to it and reasonable image quality. http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/pentax-optio-wg3-pentax-wg-3-digital-camera.html

arthurking83
17-06-2013, 11:47pm
I seriously considered either the Pentax and Panasonic cameras, listed above, as a camera for my daughter a while back too.
The reviews were very positive.

I think her main desire was to dunk it into the fish tank :p

In the end I got her something else which she absolutely loves(now) .. but in the time between consideration and acquisition, the last two fish left the tank for a 'better place'..... and so waterproofness was a feature much lower on the feature list as a consequence.

ktoopi
18-06-2013, 7:45am
I was also going to suggest Panasonic Lumix DMC TS5.....I bought one from eglobal for my husband to take sailing in the Sydney to Hobart.......another crew member also bought one on the back of my research and they both have been VERY happy with the camera......its waterproof...drop proof....cold proof...it's an awesome camera and takes great photos(fantastic quality)! The prices should be down closer to your budget these days!:)

coonachic22
18-06-2013, 9:20am
Thanks so much everyone:-)

Rattus79
18-06-2013, 9:53am
The Pentax WG3 is possibly the ugliest camera ever made, (unless you count that fugly Canon waterproof job) but it's ugly like that for a reason.

It's designed so it's easy to use with gloves on whilst diving.

I @ M
18-06-2013, 5:36pm
The Pentax WG3 is possibly the ugliest camera ever made

Dunno what you are talking about, I reckon it does a good job of beautifying people, specially with the cute ring of led lights around the lens for macro and underwater work. :D

Taken yesterday in the midst of some really soggy weather here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9582534/Pentax%20eye.jpg

arthurking83
18-06-2013, 11:38pm
The Pentax WG3 is possibly the ugliest camera ever made, .....

Not 100% sure on the Canon referred too, but beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.
I never actually saw it as ugly, as it's just a consumer device with an intended function .. the looks never really came into it as a point of critique.

But even more interesting is lil miss 9, had seen the camera but never commented that it was ugly either. And she does have particular tastes and styles ... and looking at it now(the Pentax) it does have a certain ugliness to it.
Thinking back, it's interesting that daughter didn't discount it as ugly.

But in saying this, she did fall in love with a Sony of some kind, with a plip (down?) type lens cover, in a baby blue colour whilst in the shop. Can't remember the model number exactly but I think she did comment that it looked like a purse. It wasn't one of those waterproof types, and her response was "OK, I don't want that one!"

Generally speaking, the ugliness of a product is directly proportional to it's user friendliness and ergonomics, whereas most 'beautifully styled' consumer goods are inversely proportional.