PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a tripod

Jad
12-06-2013, 10:13am
I plan on doing some domestic and international travel this year. I have an expensive Gitzo tripod I would like to take with me. In the old days I would carry it on the plane with me. I am sure that is not permitted today. How do you travel with your tripod?

Rattus79
12-06-2013, 10:43am
I have been known to check my heavier tripod, but it's a cheapie so not a real problem. I usually take my travel one as carry on baggage.

In the past I have carried the heavy one without complaint.

Warus
12-06-2013, 10:54am
Mine just went in my suitcase with the head detached when I traveled OS.

paulheath
12-06-2013, 10:58am
i have travelled all over the world with my tripod, i remove the ball head and strap it to my lowpro as hand luggage, i did ask British airways about regulations and the informed me that as long as it would fit it wouldnt be a problem....... saying that i would check the airlines prohibited items and print it out, some ov the airline staff can be pretty #### about items. who are you flying with? i think some airways allow items 20 inches long, again check that info

found this also

Photographic Equipment & Film

Transporting Film and Photographic Equipment
Photographic Equipment

You may carry one (1) bag of photographic equipment in addition to one (1) carry-on and one (1) personal item through the screening checkpoint. The additional bag must conform to your air carrier's carry-on restrictions for size and weight. Please confirm your air carrier's restrictions prior to arriving at the airport.
Air carriers may or may not allow the additional carry-on item on their aircraft. Please check with your air carrier prior to arriving at the airport.
Our screening equipment will not affect digital cameras and electronic image storage cards.

iv found the prohibited items list with TSA and nothing there regarding tripod or monopod. print this out just in case

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/prohibited-items

hope this helps some what

ving
12-06-2013, 11:30am
buy it the seat next to me... cant refuse a paying passenger even if a tripod :p

:lol:

vk2gwk
12-06-2013, 12:06pm
Like warus I take the head off and put it in my suitcase (with the head on it won't fit). Problem can be the weight - my Cullmann Magnesite is about 2.4 kg - when travelling "economy" but as I usually travel business class when going overseas it is less of a problem. I also put my long lens (100-400) in the suitcase and other stuff I need. Carry on is only my small photo bag with the camera and walk around lens (and flash gun) and the laptop in a bag.

Steve Axford
12-06-2013, 9:53pm
I presume you just jump on, say the magic words and off you go. Bit like a broomstick really.

MrQ
12-06-2013, 10:11pm
I presume you just jump on, say the magic words and off you go. Bit like a broomstick really.
Except that you can travel with two friends. :P

Glenda
13-06-2013, 7:10am
I bought a travel one for overseas travel - mainly because of weight and it goes in my suitcase. I've never had cabin luggage weighed when leaving Aus but last year when returning from overseas our camera bag was too heavy - we just removed the bodies, carried them over our shoulders and all was sweet. They went back in the bag once we were through the check point. Crazy.

Epoc
13-06-2013, 8:17am
I travel domestically with my tripod all the time using all our main carriers. Never had an issue carrying it on. I was told tripods are fine carry on, monopods are not as they can be used as a weapon. Can't comment on international travel.

Roosta
13-06-2013, 1:06pm
I travel domestically with my tripod all the time using all our main carriers. Never had an issue carrying it on. I was told tripods are fine carry on, monopods are not as they can be used as a weapon. Can't comment on international travel.

Same as above, Qantas - Skywest - Alliance - Virgin, all allow the tripod to go on as carry on. I do remove the head and keep that in my bag.

International, I do the same, never had a problem, email the flight company/airline before hand and or look on their website, should be mentioned on their.