PDA

View Full Version : And it's hello from me

Paul W
05-06-2013, 9:45pm
Hi All,
My name is Paul and I am brand new to the site!
by way of introduction........
I have had a little success or two, with photo competitions at work, using a point and shoot compact and now feel the desire to get a "real" camera and grow some skills for personal enjoyment.
My last camera with "settings" was a Russian Zenith SLR, back in my early 20's, some 30++ years ago. I met my wife in the early 80's and she had a Ricoh with multiple lenses no less. I could not compete with my single lensed 20kg camera, my photography was overshadowed and I took a back seat when it came to capturing images. Barb (the afore mentioned wife) also used to work with and develop black and white back in the dark days.

I now want to unleash my creativity and get some gear that we can both use on occasions (I put the "both" bit in, just in case she reads this).

Opinions are rather like noses, in that everyone has got one and they are all different and unique.
That said I am thinking full frame and probably canon as I have friends with canon gear and may be able to borrow lenses and advice. I cannot afford a new 5D Mk III and I have been seriously contemplating a 6D with 24-105 L lens to kick off....I mean to start with....I don't intend to kick the lens off. I am looking to see what is out there, preloved, grey import (it will match my hair), or possibly just walk into a shop, whatever next!

*removed - please read the site rules - particularly rules 3-7, thanks : admin*

Any way enough of my gullibility and whinging, its good be on Ausphotography where I hope to learn a thing or two :)

Regards

Paul

Mary Anne
05-06-2013, 10:37pm
Hello Paul :action66: and Welcome to AP.. This is a great Forum so join in and post some images on the Forums.
Sorry to read about your terrible luck :( though I hope you get a new camera and lens soon..

Paul W
05-06-2013, 11:04pm
Thanks Mary Anne!

I shall "dip my toe in the water" and put post a couple of my least embarrassing efforts in the next day or two.

Thanks for your welcome.

Paul

Wayne63
06-06-2013, 5:47am
Welcome to AP Paul, Enjoy the site and look forward to seeing some of your pics in the forums

ricktas
06-06-2013, 6:07am
Welcome to AP. see you on the forums

Kym
06-06-2013, 11:32am
:gday: & Welcome
- lets see some photos in the main CC forums (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?5) maybe try a competition or 2 and have fun!

Paul W
06-06-2013, 8:32pm
Very humble apologies for my transgression in my first post whereI had a small section removed as what I had written was in contravention to therules by in effect being a complaint.
What a flying start……. in “ït” before I even get going! I am not used to being the "bad boy"!!
The message that I wanted to convey may better be phrased asa warning to those who may look to buy cameras, or whatever, from some internetclassified sites. I had contacted 4 sellers all of which turned out to be bogusand were removed from the site.
Please, please, please be aware that there must be manybogus sales out there if I managed to get 4 out of 4.
I guess that it is obvious that the best thing is make sureyou actually physically see an item and pay cash rather than send money on trust.

Thank you again for the kind welcomes.
Regards
Paul

Mark L
06-06-2013, 9:55pm
G'day Paul, and welcome to a good place.
I remember, way back when, starting with a Zenit SLR. It really taught me the basics about photography. Then the screws started coming loose, tightened them, then the screws started coming loose, tightened them, then the screws started coming loose ..... :D
Don't worry about the gear Barb had/has or what photography she does (or doesn't) do now. Take photos to please yourself.
Also nothing wrong with being a bad boy. Probably need a few more of them around here.:D
Hopefully see you around AP.:th3:

Paul W
06-06-2013, 10:45pm
Thanks Mark for you very kind and well received remarks. You are quite right in that I intend to take photos to please myself. In the short term I aim to get a camera and lens to experiment with and give myself a chance in those times when you say if only I could do this, or if only I could do that.... in the hope that I may be able to do this or that, over the point and shoot stuff I have enjoyed.
I hope that made sense!

Kind regards

Paul

Paul

Paulo