PDA

View Full Version : Users of Canon 6D - feed back on this body

mikew09
22-05-2013, 12:52pm
Hi Team,
I am ramping up to purchase my next upgrade (a FF body) and I am torn between the Canon 6D and the 5d3. I have a couple of buddies that have the 5d3 and no debating it is a remarkable camera. I have been shooting with a 50D for about 3 yrs now and over the time pretty much upgraded all lens to L series in prep for eventually FF upgrade and the time is almost here :-).

Though the consensus appears to be the 5d3 is the obvious choice for shooting sports and I do a lot of horse event shooting but my 50D has served me very well in that space but I also do a lot of portait and to some degree landscape style shooting. One area my 50D caused me some pain is shooting in low light such as a under cover horse arena which the 6D or 5d3 will obviously address with the excellent high ISO capabilities.

Apart from the obvious price difference I am very interested in some real world experience from members who shot with the 6D or even of more interest any members who have both bodies.

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

William
22-05-2013, 5:21pm
I'm waiting also Mike , I / we need another upgrade (Seeing I killed the 50D) Because of budget I'm tossing up between the 6D and a 5D MKII , Joel has the 5D MKIII mostly for Studio model work , Back using the back up 30D :( Mind you it still takes a good shot , Sometimes I wonder ;)

mikew09
22-05-2013, 5:32pm
I'm waiting also Mike , I / we need another upgrade (Seeing I killed the 50D) Because of budget I'm tossing up between the 6D and a 5D MKII , Joel has the 5D MKIII mostly for Studio model work , Back using the back up 30D :( Mind you it still takes a good shot , Sometimes I wonder ;)

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply mate. Been doing a fair bit of Horse event shooting and under an arena the 50D struggles unless I push up the ISO but I have never found the high iso capabilities particularly good on the 50. I have moved a lot to portrait style shooting and a little away from landscape the last 6 months or so. If I average the mere amount I am making from the odd peace of work I get a 5d3 would pay for itself in 12 months I would think. I have had quite a bit of a play with the 6D and it feels much like a 50D in size but the feel in hand is much nicer and at the moment you can pick it up for just under 2K at a retailer in Brisbane (not sure I am aloud to say who in the forum) so good buying really for a FF. Have taken a number of test shots which I deleted when done with stupidly and it produces frames every bit as good as my buddies 5d3 and low light performance is claimed to be better then 5D3 but my concern is the focusing system. The 50D does a far job at the horse events but with the focusing system on the 6D it may become hit and mis and I have read it is not so good at focusing on a moving subject. So yea, very interested to hear others experience it there is any on the forum. At the moments comments are a bit thin on experience, I image if the subject was on a 5d3 there would be not end of comments :-)

Kieran
22-05-2013, 10:10pm
Commander, I cant offer user insight into use of this camera but have been snooping around the web comparing a few canons for low light sport. This comment is on a review web page "The EOS 6D doesn't offer the depth of features that its best competitors can, but it combines very good image quality, impressive high ISO performance and class-leading low light autofocus ability (with the central AF point) as well as impressive built-in Wi-Fi and GPS features." This review and others leaves me with the thought that compared to the 5D Mk111 the 6D supposedly wins in low light both in detail (?) and focus ability but it has a less sophisticated AF system. If this is true and AI servo focus in low light is your environment (horse comps indoors) then for the lower price the 6D seems hard to beat. It has a slow burst speed though

mikew09
23-05-2013, 11:32am
Commander, I cant offer user insight into use of this camera but have been snooping around the web comparing a few canons for low light sport. This comment is on a review web page "The EOS 6D doesn't offer the depth of features that its best competitors can, but it combines very good image quality, impressive high ISO performance and class-leading low light autofocus ability (with the central AF point) as well as impressive built-in Wi-Fi and GPS features." This review and others leaves me with the thought that compared to the 5D Mk111 the 6D supposedly wins in low light both in detail (?) and focus ability but it has a less sophisticated AF system. If this is true and AI servo focus in low light is your environment (horse comps indoors) then for the lower price the 6D seems hard to beat. It has a slow burst speed though

Thanks Kieran, I am just googling the review now. One of the tick boxes that would be a show stopper for the 6D is the ability to track and focus in AI servo modes in view of the horse event photography I do. Horses are pretty big and easy to target and generally don't move in the same action or groups as say a soccer game. I think I mentioned this but the 50D focus system works just fine and I am comfortable using the centre focal point for this purpose as has been the case with the 50D. Hence, with the low light capability and the ability to focus well at horse events it should tick the final box.

nwhc
23-05-2013, 12:37pm
I have had mine for 2 months now and love it, i went from a 5D mkii and it took a little while to get used the new button layout. I don't have the need to use it for any action shots so the 4.5fps is enough for me.
For me the best things about it are.

1. High iso performance
2. Light weight
3. quick zoom button
4. wi-fi its actually handy to use your phone/tablet to control your camera

Have only taken portraits and night shots with it so far but more than happy with it.

mikew09
23-05-2013, 1:27pm
I have had mine for 2 months now and love it, i went from a 5D mkii and it took a little while to get used the new button layout. I don't have the need to use it for any action shots so the 4.5fps is enough for me.
For me the best things about it are.

1. High iso performance
2. Light weight
3. quick zoom button
4. wi-fi its actually handy to use your phone/tablet to control your camera

Have only taken portraits and night shots with it so far but more than happy with it.

Thanks nwhc for the reply and details - every comment here assists me with my choice of body. The frame rate doesn't concern me either with the horse action shoots really, but the focus tracking does. Having said that I jsut watched a pretty good comparison and the AI servo looks to be every bit as good as my 50D and losing 1.5 frames per sec in comparison is not a bit issue. The once thing I am really hoping to sign off now is the low light AI servo capabilities. When I say low light I really mean lightin under a poorly lit under cover arena on a cloudy day. My main issue with the 50D is getting the balance better ISO / aperture and / shutter speed to get the shot of a horse in motion. iso 800 just ticks the box but noise starts to become a real issue with this over iso 800 on the 50D for what I consider sale-able shots. This is one issue the 6D will solve as long as the AI focus works ok in lower light conditions.
Having said this. only about 20% of horse events are under the arena and only about 50% of my over all photography is horse events and I would rather put the money into a new UWA lens with the 6D than pay the extra for 5d3 just to get the advanced focusing system.

neil70
23-05-2013, 5:18pm
Hi Mike
I have had mine for about 5 months now and love it. I shoot a 7D as well and mainly do sports. I have shot 1 wedding with it on a terrible day weather wise and it performed extremely well. Even though its frame rate is slower than my 7 it still performs at sports. I now only use the 7 when i need the extra reach.
I did some research before i bought it as i was looking between the 6 and a 5 mk2. The 6 reviewed much better and has newer tech. i really like this camera, even if it is a tad smaller than the 7 it just works.:th3:

mikew09
23-05-2013, 5:39pm
Hi Mike
I have had mine for about 5 months now and love it. I shoot a 7D as well and mainly do sports. I have shot 1 wedding with it on a terrible day weather wise and it performed extremely well. Even though its frame rate is slower than my 7 it still performs at sports. I now only use the 7 when i need the extra reach.
I did some research before i bought it as i was looking between the 6 and a 5 mk2. The 6 reviewed much better and has newer tech. i really like this camera, even if it is a tad smaller than the 7 it just works.:th3:

Thanks neil70, all good solid positive feedback. Appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

One other question I would like to add to the thread now - My 50D only allows for 3 bracketed shots. The 5d3 allows for up to 7 bracketed exposures. There is conflicting reports on the web about whether the 6D offers 3 or up to 7 bracketed shots. I am not talking about the in camera HDR but the ability to fire bracketed shots from 3 to 7 exposures.

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

Kieran
23-05-2013, 7:06pm
The specs have up to 7 in a bracketed exposure series. The confusion on the web may be that in HDR bracket you only get 3 exposures and it only saves in jpeg, not raw like the 5d Mk111 for the in-camera HDR function

mikew09
23-05-2013, 8:06pm
The specs have up to 7 in a bracketed exposure series. The confusion on the web may be that in HDR bracket you only get 3 exposures and it only saves in jpeg, not raw like the 5d Mk111 for the in-camera HDR function

Thanks Kieran, to be honest the in camera HDR doesn't interest me. I much prefer to bracket myself and blend with photomatrix of PS to get the desired effect - the ability to take up to 7 exposures is a welcome feature.

achee
23-05-2013, 11:31pm
I've had a 6D for about 4 months now, and I'd buy it again. I mostly shoot slow moving subjects, so I can't comment on the AI-servo capability, but the low-light focussing is very good. Compared to a 5DIII you get about the same IQ, but otherwise a bit of a 'less professional' camera. The Wi-fi capability is a good bonus, but the Canon software to pair it with phones / tablets / computers is less than impressive.

The lack of CF support may put some people off.

mikew09
24-05-2013, 9:08pm
I've had a 6D for about 4 months now, and I'd buy it again. I mostly shoot slow moving subjects, so I can't comment on the AI-servo capability, but the low-light focussing is very good. Compared to a 5DIII you get about the same IQ, but otherwise a bit of a 'less professional' camera. The Wi-fi capability is a good bonus, but the Canon software to pair it with phones / tablets / computers is less than impressive.

The lack of CF support may put some people off.

Thanks achee, feedback is appreciated. I did some in store tests today and to be honest the camera did exceed my expectations. A a few minutes playing with the body I thought I really want to take some images home but be a 50D owner only had CF cards. Here I suddenly discover one benefit of sd cards, they are dirt cheap in comparison. I asked the guy in Teds if he had any really cheap sd cards, he goes yea here is a 2GB card for $9 - WOW.

Pretty sure my purchase is going to be a 6D gripped and the extra cash I will put to a 17-40 to replace my as new Canon 10-22 (anyone want to buy one :-) )

Jcas
04-06-2013, 1:23pm
Thanks for the informative thread, i'm contemplating the 6D myself. :)

FallingHorse
16-06-2013, 6:34pm
Hi Mike - did you get the 6D? I am also upgrading from my 50D and predominantly shooting horse sports. I have just purchased a 7d and plan on getting the 6d to compliment it and use as a back up. Of course I will put the 6d to work on other stuff also :) The main reason for opting for the 6d for me is $$ and low light ability - would love to hear if you ended up with the 6D and what you think of it.

davearnold
18-06-2013, 10:43am
I have had my 6D for a few months now and it work very well in conjunction with my 7D ( I already owned) - but if I was going to have just one camera would have saved the extra for a 5D mk iii - just my thoughts.

Jcas
19-06-2013, 9:39am
I have had my 6D for about a week and so far i am very impressed, i always found the FF's too big and bulky and heavy, but this 6D is lighter than my 40D was feels very comfy in my hand. As it has been raining for days on end since i've had it only tried it indoors, the low light performance is great, i am using iso's that i wouldn't have dared to use with the 40D. I got mine in the kit with the 24-70L f/4 IS , thinking of also getting the 70-200L f/4 IS to cover the zoom range and adding one really good prime (not sure which one yet). Overall though i am very happy with it.

Dug
25-06-2013, 10:04am
I've had the 6D for a couple of months and I'm luvin it.
I'm sure those contemplating the two have poured over the spec differences and I think it just come down to does your photography require the Swiss army knife of cameras that is the 5Dmk3 or will the 6D have you covered for the majority of what you do.

You can think of the 6D as a modernised 5D mk2 without the 1/800 sec and a little bit slower flash sync.
If a mk2 would have served you well in the past then the 6D certainly will, in a smaller, lighter package with some nifty extras and snappy DIGIC 5+ processor performance.

I have not had the need yet to do focus tracking , so I can't tell you about that.
My habits are to use the centre point and recompose and I'm find moving the live view focus round the screen the easiest for tripod work, so not very demanding but the results are accurate.

mikew09
26-06-2013, 9:19pm
Thanks for the informative thread, i'm contemplating the 6D myself. :)

Haven't purchased yet. I have gone back into procrastination mode as have some doubts about shooting at horse events after a review I read. :-) Back on the undecided bench again I am afraid.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Mike - did you get the 6D? I am also upgrading from my 50D and predominantly shooting horse sports. I have just purchased a 7d and plan on getting the 6d to compliment it and use as a back up. Of course I will put the 6d to work on other stuff also :) The main reason for opting for the 6d for me is $$ and low light ability - would love to hear if you ended up with the 6D and what you think of it.

Hi Jodie, no purchase as yet. Low light performance is a must for me as the 50D struggles when shooting in under cover arena's but I have probably already covered that. I was almost ready to buy and then I read a review on the web about some dude who complained of poor focus and low number of keepers using the 6D for horse events in low light. Maybe heading back to a 5d3 purchase but will be a longer wait as I need more case and may have to sacrifice the UWA lens for the time being.

- - - Updated - - -

I have had my 6D for a few months now and it work very well in conjunction with my 7D ( I already owned) - but if I was going to have just one camera would have saved the extra for a 5D mk iii - just my thoughts.

I am starting to think like minded mate.

davearnold
27-06-2013, 11:22am
in response to

Haven't purchased yet. I have gone back into procrastination mode as have some doubts about shooting at horse events after a review I read. :-) Back on the undecided bench again I am afraid.

That would depend more on the focus speed of the lens then the body - I can get birds in flight with a fast focus lens easily with the 6D - Horses would be easier as they do not change direction mid air as much as birds do :)

bobt
28-06-2013, 10:11pm
I've just come back from O/S so I have missed this thread. I took my Canon 6D away with me, and it worked flawlessly for the 3500 shots I took in anything from snow and icebergs to hot Mediterranean sun. I have been very happy with it and although I have other cameras this is the one I use 99% of the time. I miss having a fill flash, and the FPS could be faster - but overall it is a very nice camera to work with and being full frame you get a nice latitude for cropping. I doubt anyone would be unhappy with this camera.

mikew09
02-07-2013, 8:49pm
in response to

That would depend more on the focus speed of the lens then the body - I can get birds in flight with a fast focus lens easily with the 6D - Horses would be easier as they do not change direction mid air as much as birds do :)

Thanks for the response. I should have been a little clearer in that comment. It was more around focus speed in low conditions and I do shoot a bit in under cover horse arean's which can be challenging when trying to balance the 50D and ISO in low light.

I have been into the camera store and tested both the 5d3 and the 6D and both present excellent IQ and noise control at high ISO. I do prefer the controls on my 50D which aligns with the 5d3. To be honest, what I am struggling with most of all is, is the focus system and the preferred control dials worth the extra cash? I hear more and more good stuff about the 6D but just want to ensure I make the right purchase.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just come back from O/S so I have missed this thread. I took my Canon 6D away with me, and it worked flawlessly for the 3500 shots I took in anything from snow and icebergs to hot Mediterranean sun. I have been very happy with it and although I have other cameras this is the one I use 99% of the time. I miss having a fill flash, and the FPS could be faster - but overall it is a very nice camera to work with and being full frame you get a nice latitude for cropping. I doubt anyone would be unhappy with this camera.

Thanks bobt, is great to get the real life feedback if 6D owners from yourself and others.

davearnold
03-07-2013, 3:46pm
I recently shot a wedding as second shooter, I had 6D with 70-200 2.8IS mkII , main shooter had 5D mkiii with 24-70 mkii - I could get focus on dancing with dimmed lights where she couldn't - the 6D from my experience can see in the dark :)

mikew09
03-07-2013, 9:16pm
I recently shot a wedding as second shooter, I had 6D with 70-200 2.8IS mkII , main shooter had 5D mkiii with 24-70 mkii - I could get focus on dancing with dimmed lights where she couldn't - the 6D from my experience can see in the dark :)

Now that is interesting. This is the second time I have been told the 6D is better to focus in low light than a 5d3. A work buddy just got a 6D and made the same comment although he did say you need to be aware this is mostly restricted to the centre focus point so you may need to focus and recompose. This really wouldn't bother me and is so much of a habit with my 50D I do it instinctively these days and would probably continue with my next body as the habit is so ingrained now.

Thanks for the comment davearnold ;-)

FallingHorse
03-07-2013, 9:33pm
I read a review that stated the 6D focus in low light out performed the 5D3 and could focus in light as low as -3EV

Pobbs
04-07-2013, 8:24am
I have a 6D and a 7D and I shoot portraits in my studio and births in low light. I did a real world ISO comparison with both. As I dont like to push past 800 on the 7D but at 12800 on the 6D the image was still useable.

The AF crosshair doesnt bother me because I focus-recompose anyway. And that middle crosshair is super sensitive in low light.

Get set for the CR2 format not being readable by ACR and needing the DNG Converter (7.4).

mikew09
04-07-2013, 7:35pm
I read a review that stated the 6D focus in low light out performed the 5D3 and could focus in light as low as -3EV

Yea - I think I read a similar thing the other night.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 6D and a 7D and I shoot portraits in my studio and births in low light. I did a real world ISO comparison with both. As I dont like to push past 800 on the 7D but at 12800 on the 6D the image was still useable.

The AF crosshair doesnt bother me because I focus-recompose anyway. And that middle crosshair is super sensitive in low light.

Get set for the CR2 format not being readable by ACR and needing the DNG Converter (7.4).

I can live with that until the support is available. A friends 6D arrived yesterday and he just sent me an image of his boy i an almost no light room shot at 12800 ISO and I was blown away by the IQ. He said that he couldn't believe how this camera focus in virtually a dark room and produced such a high quality image at the high ISO. He previously owned a 5D2 and said ISO wise they are chalk and cheese.

Continuously hearing good things about the 6D. Seems the price gap is increasing between the 6D and 5d3 too. I see my regular store in the city has 6D body for 1995 and the 5d# is still 3599.

Definitely leaning too the 6D in view of the positive responses in this thread.

acko
08-07-2013, 11:55pm

Funny you should say that. I have just purchased one of these, and I am amazed as how good it is in low light situations. I have yet to use the flash on it. I was intending to buy the 5D 111 but after seeing a mate of mine's 6D, that swayed my decision.

davearnold
10-07-2013, 1:59pm
I am finding I prefer the IQ over the 7D more and more, and starting to leave the 7D at home even when the extra reach/speed might be of benefit - as a cropped 6D image is often better then a complete 7D image - my findings anyway .

mikew09
10-07-2013, 7:24pm
Pretty much decided the 6D will fill all my needs with exception of the horse events which I seem to be doing more and more of. There is a horse event coming up next month that is in the undercover arena where my 50D struggles so will hire a 6d for the day and she how it performs. If I am happy with the performance on the day, I will be buying the 6D. If not 100% happy will buy the 5D3 and can the 17-40 L.

For me this is a long term purchase, 5-6 yrs so need to ensure I have the kit to suit my needs going forward.

All the comments have been a great assistance and without them I am doubtful I would have really considered the 6D with all the negativity about the focus on web reviews. I have found the 6D web reviews very frustrating on the web as they continuously compare the 6D to the 5d3 and this smashes the focus of the 6D. What I really would like to see is a review of the performance of a 50D against a 6D for a sport event and I am pretty confident the ranking of the focus would be different.
The other thing that really frustrated me was how much emphasis was put on the video in reviews with some doing vid only reviews. Maybe I am old school but I wouldn't care less if the bodies had video or not, I am a amateur photography, not a film maker and I have a HD video camera that suits my point and shoot video requirements very well.

Hence, my thanks to all who commented with real world experience on the 6D - it is great and I look forward to other comments to follow.

mikew09
14-07-2013, 4:47pm
I have the 5d3 and the 6d.

The 6d is with me every day and everywhere. I absolutely love the camera and the fact that is smaller and lighter.

My 5d3 is used in studio, as a main camera on location and as a video camera.

Can't fault any of them really.

People complains about the 6d autofocus all the time. Yes it only has one crossed hair but that one is a really good and fast one when used with a fast lens. Digital medium format cameras only have one autofocus point and nobody complains. The fact is that unless you are going to shoot fast moving subjects the additional focus points are not a must have.

I really don't think you are going to outgrow the camera unless you need the extra stop in shutter speed, the two thirds for flash synch speed or a flash sync port (which I admit it should have).

The first two can be overcome with HSS and some other optical slave hacks, the second one is only important if you want the reliability of the cable over wireless or if you are shooting in a shared studio and can't use cell in the external flashes and don't have extra wireless slaves.

If I could ony have one one would be the 5d3 because of my line of work. But the 6d has earned a place as my go to body for every day shooting.

Thanks munecito, that is very interesting

Arg
17-07-2013, 1:27pm
Given what you do, I can't see why choose anything other than a 5D Mark III. Not only is it better at auto-focusing on moving subjects, it is also more consistent at auto-focusing on static subjects.

And remember that the newer lens models have better AF systems that enable AF focusing consistency that older lenses simply cannot achieve -- and by older I mean pre-2010 release date.

So, maybe a 5D Mark III and a 70-300 L IS.

Arg
17-07-2013, 5:02pm
Oh, one other comment: don't use the focus-recompose technique at wide aperture and with subjects relatively close so the camera is 're-angled' by much. It will lead to out-of-focus images. It is OK for distant subjects where the camera 're-angle' is minuscule.

mikew09
17-07-2013, 9:55pm
Oh, one other comment: don't use the focus-recompose technique at wide aperture and with subjects relatively close so the camera is 're-angled' by much. It will lead to out-of-focus images. It is OK for distant subjects where the camera 're-angle' is minuscule.
Thanks for the comments. A fella I work with has recently purchased the 70-300 L and it appears to be an impressive lens on all accounts

Jcas
05-08-2013, 1:59pm
The other thing that really frustrated me was how much emphasis was put on the video in reviews with some doing vid only reviews. Maybe I am old school but I wouldn't care less if the bodies had video or not, I am a amateur photography, not a film maker and I have a HD video camera that suits my point and shoot video requirements very well

Know exactly what you are saying , that used to bug me too, i don't think i have used the video on any camera i have owned as yet.
How are you going with your decision ??

mikew09
07-08-2013, 12:18am
Know exactly what you are saying , that used to bug me too, i don't think i have used the video on any camera i have owned as yet.
How are you going with your decision ??

Believe it or not I am still in limbo. Tried a friends 6D at a horse event and though I found it a really nice camera, I really did miss my 50D control set and the body felt much the same as my 50D with focusing. Initially I did think that I would be happy with a FF with 50D limited focusing but when I had it in my hands I just felt like I wanted more from a new, actually much newer body and if I am going to upgrade maybe I should move to something that will cover the full spectrum of shooting activities. So here I sit in limbo with a want for a body I really can't afford at this point. Disappointingly I didn't get to bring a few images home to process, my bad.

Please dont take this as a negitive for the body, I have seen my friends images and it presents everything a FF would be expected to deliver IQ wise but for me I just felt a want for the 5d3 focusing and control set.

I will update this thread once I finally make a purchase.

NCHANT
07-08-2013, 1:14pm
^ I'm sure your decision will be made soon :) 5D3 or 6D, both great cameras.

I have had my 6D for about 6 weeks or so now, coming form a 600D, I absolutely love it. Then again I have no need for the functions 5D3 has over the 6D. My 10-22mm lens works brilliantly on the FF (very minor mods to make it work) so don't be too hasty in selling yours :)

Wifi and GPS is very cool, use them all the time for reviewing photos and taking them - I'm used to an articulating screen, so being able to view my compositions on the iPad makes this camera very handy, where the 5D3 just won't work in certain situations. But as people have said, the EOS app isn't the greatest, I can't wait until they release a version with an intervalometer or hack a new app :)

Good luck with your decision!

mikew09
14-08-2013, 10:29pm
^ I'm sure your decision will be made soon :) 5D3 or 6D, both great cameras.

I have had my 6D for about 6 weeks or so now, coming form a 600D, I absolutely love it. Then again I have no need for the functions 5D3 has over the 6D. My 10-22mm lens works brilliantly on the FF (very minor mods to make it work) so don't be too hasty in selling yours :)

Wifi and GPS is very cool, use them all the time for reviewing photos and taking them - I'm used to an articulating screen, so being able to view my compositions on the iPad makes this camera very handy, where the 5D3 just won't work in certain situations. But as people have said, the EOS app isn't the greatest, I can't wait until they release a version with an intervalometer or hack a new app :)

Good luck with your decision!

Hi NCHANT, that is the first I have heard of a mod being done on a EFS lens to fit FF. I am assuming you are talking of the Canon UWA, I love mine and I find it to be a superb lens and in a class of my L series lens. I was always under the understanding that the rear of the EF-S lens protruded to far into the from of the body and would clash with the mirror on FF bodies not to mention the projection of light through the rear element would be smaller than the sensor - I find this a very interesting comment.

What mod did you do to allow the lens to fit on your 6D?

Thanks Mike

bitrusty
14-08-2013, 11:49pm
Ive had my 6d for a few weeks now upgrade from the 7d.I love the IQ of this camera and far less noise.The only thing I have found is the metering is a little inconsistent but that could be just mine.:)

NCHANT
15-08-2013, 7:53am
Here's a video on how to do it, it's a 10 second mod and will work straight away. Also, it doesn't break or ruin the lens at all, and is reversible :)

http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/2010/gear/canon-10-22mm-ef-s-to-ef-conversion-2/

If you want to see what the pictures come out like, I have a set of images here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeymack/sets/72157634466773339/) you can view, most were set at 16mm.

davearnold
15-08-2013, 4:40pm
Just going on from my previous comments - I went to a Rodeo last weekend - and used the 7D in preference to the 6D for the faster frame rate and the extra reach it gave me using the 70-200 F2.8 - which contrdicts totally what I said earlier :\ - with a good sunny day - the 7D gave me great photos, that would not have been bettered by the using the 6D

Pinarelloman
16-08-2013, 8:34am
I am also looking to upgrade, only mine is a 7D & looking to upgrade to either a 6D or 5D MKIII. Some very helpful information in this thread.
Thanks.

mikew09
26-08-2013, 11:14pm
Here's a video on how to do it, it's a 10 second mod and will work straight away. Also, it doesn't break or ruin the lens at all, and is reversible :)

http://www.benjacobsenphoto.com/2010/gear/canon-10-22mm-ef-s-to-ef-conversion-2/

If you want to see what the pictures come out like, I have a set of images here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeymack/sets/72157634466773339/) you can view, most were set at 16mm.

That is ridiculously easy to do. Not sure I would do it myself but I can see the attraction. NICE photos to by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Just going on from my previous comments - I went to a Rodeo last weekend - and used the 7D in preference to the 6D for the faster frame rate and the extra reach it gave me using the 70-200 F2.8 - which contrdicts totally what I said earlier :\ - with a good sunny day - the 7D gave me great photos, that would not have been bettered by the using the 6D

Thanks davearnold, interesting to hear.

eaglemini
08-12-2013, 12:54pm
I am upgrading from 60D to the 6D (having already made my mind up), I just watched the mod video of the 10-22 lens. I have a Tokina 11-16 which I think is a great lens, has anyone had experience using this on a FF? I have heard you can without the issue of the mirror hitting the back of the lens but can only really use the lens at 16mm or else there is pretty extreme vignetting? Would like to hold onto the lens if I can...

mikew09
24-03-2014, 9:49pm
Taken sometime and too many months of procrastination to myself but finally took the plunge and decided on the 5d3 - gripped. Should have it in my hands on Friday so will post thoughts and outcomes against expectations soon after.

bricat
28-03-2014, 8:13am
Nothing wrong with procrastination....I think....Congrats on new purchase. cheers Brian

mikew09
29-03-2014, 11:45pm
5D3 arrived in store yesterday and picked up late arvo. Today with fully charged batteries, grip bolted on and a racing heart of excitement I am out the door to gave the 5d3 its first run. Extremely happy and the 5d has exceeded my expectations.
The focusing system is fantastic. I feel it will take a little time to master the new body as I find it shoots a little underexposed to my 50D and the DOF being more effective on FF and I carry the f/stop settings I used on the 50D as a habit I need to adjust from using the 50D last 4.5 yrs.
The 50D was a great body and served me well but one thing that always irked me a bit was the noise at higher ISO - On the 5d3 I have found even at settings of ISO 16000 it still produces images that can be processed as more than acceptable.
Will take some learning to start getting the best out of the new body and I was surprised how different to use the 5d3 is from my 50D

It really is quite a remarkable camera - however

Does it produce images of better IQ - definitely
Does it provide a better dynamic range - definitely
Does it offer good high ISO / noise control - definitely
Is the hype written up about the 5D3 true 0 defiantly
Will it make me a better photography - hmmm, probably not but it will allow me to get better and grow as a photography on my journey in this place ;-)

Some sample processed shots from today - note the dog shot was at 20000 ISO and was run through noise ware but I think is still a very acceptable image for that level of ISO

mikew09
30-03-2014, 4:53pm
5D3 HDR composite of 5 bracketed shots

Luke11
12-10-2014, 9:38pm
I know this may be late reply but I'm in your shoes right now. I have read more than enough reviews about the 6d and feel the same way about the feel of the 6d. I currently have the 50d and even though i haven't used it for a while i still want to get a FF. Took some pics of a wedding last week and the couple were blown away so that made me want to get new gear. Can buy the 6d with batt/grip and 24-70 f4 lens now or buy the 5d3 now on its own. I know for a fact both will be great cameras and overkill for me at the moment but when i get into something i really excel quite fast and will use either camera to its potential. I hope i make up my mind soon. Cheers.

acko
16-10-2014, 1:43am
I have had my 6D for about 18 months now, and yes, I am very happy with it. Sure the 5D3 offers a bit more, but for what I do (some magazine work as well as personal stuff) it fits the bill nicely.

mikew09
13-11-2015, 12:39am
Yes, the 6D is a very strong contender - if you don't have the need for the extra features of the 5D3 the 6D will suit you well. I was doing a lot of action photography (horse eventing mostly) and I was really needing the focus capabilities of the 5D3 and as it turns out and I am very #### about how well I treat my gear, however, the weather sealing has proved to be a valuable requirement also ;-)

The last few months I have been drawn more and more into portrait photography and less horse event shooting - I suppose if I was looking to buy a FF in this next 6 months I may have opted for the 6D with some portrait lens kit.

phild
14-11-2015, 7:28pm
I replaced my 5DII with a 6D some time ago, took the 6D away OS, the low light capabilities meant that I didn't need a flash and clean higher ISO's meant I didn't need a tripod. The wifi capability was good for upload of images to ipad for some rough edits and blog upload. There is no real advantage in buying the 5DIII unless need the higher frame rate and more sophisticated focus system. On the flipside the difference in price will buy some nice glass.