PDA

View Full Version : Flickr Upgrade - 1 TB Storage Free

Old Skool
21-05-2013, 10:46pm
I see Flickr has done a makeover of it's web site - I love the new look as the old one was looking dated. I have a Pro account but I'm now wondering what benefit that gives me apart from no adverts when you can get 1TB on the free accounts now.

Koko
21-05-2013, 11:10pm
I don't like change, but I guess one will get used to it..

paulheath
21-05-2013, 11:13pm
yes very generous of little old flickr. i love the new look, and i do agree it needed a good old clean up

ricktas
22-05-2013, 5:40am
I reckon their generousity is more about trying to lure back inactive account holders more than anything. After a couple of well publicised 'issues' with their terms and conditions in the past, they lost quite a few members. They probably want them back and new ones as well. I have a little used flickr account as Dropbox had become my online storage site of choice.

But for those who love Flickr, it's a fairly good deal.

Ms Monny
22-05-2013, 8:34am
I have heard on the grapevine that Flickr are encouraging people to upload FULL RESOLUTION images! I haven't had that happen to me yet (asking when I was uploading) but it has happened to a few. I read that they are deleting the Pro Account because, according to Flickr there are no Professional photographers anymore!!! Hmmmm. Bet that rubbed a few people up the wrong way! Here is a link to the press conference by Marissa Mayer....

http://screen.yahoo.com/yahoo-event-155000760.html

I have yet to watch this....but I think it will be interesting..... also why, as someone asked, pay $499 for 2Tb when the old account was $25 for the Pro and unlimited??

I am thinking 500px might be the go now!?

Rattus79
22-05-2013, 8:39am
alot of the core functionality has been left alone. This becomes compeletly aparent the moment you head into one of your groups, which has in essence been left completely alone.

I do like the new layout, though I don't think it's enough on it's own to rekindle the flagging usage.

MrQ
22-05-2013, 8:44am
Flickr has had some real competition over the last couple of years and I think this is good step to winning back some members. I'm not a Pro member so I'm not sure how I'd feel if everyone was suddenly getting the stuff I'd been paying for.

I quite like the new design. It shows off the photos better, although it seems a bit more fiddly to get any details.

cupic
22-05-2013, 7:14pm
Full Rez @ flickr .I doubt I will.seems to me another way of fleecing ppl of there images

ricktas
23-05-2013, 6:38am

I am thinking 500px might be the go now!?

I have heard (and seen) recently of what I would consider a scam by 500pix. A friend contacted me about being sent a message inside 500pix saying someone wanted to buy the rights to his photo and to click to proceed. He did so and found himself on a page about signing up and paying for a premium 500pix service. He decided he would, once done, he could find no-one who had messaged him or any information at all on the supposed person who wanted to buy his photo. He sent emails (with screen shots) to 500pix and no reply. This has all taken place in the last week or so, and he now feels he has been scammed by 500pix into signing up for their premium service, and is the process of removing all his photos and closing his account down.

mechawombat
26-05-2013, 1:16am
I currently have a Pro Acc on Flickr

I made a sad face when this "NEW" flickr came along as they are getting rid of Pro Accounts.

However if I sign up for Automatic payment on renewal I can still pay only the $44.95 and keep my Pro acc so now I am happy!

Analog6
26-05-2013, 5:50am
I currently have a Pro Acc on Flickr

I made a sad face when this "NEW" flickr came along as they are getting rid of Pro Accounts.

However if I sign up for Automatic payment on renewal I can still pay only the $44.95 and keep my Pro acc so now I am happy!

Not sure if I like it yet, but I have a Pro account too. where does one tick the automatic renewal option?

hakka
26-05-2013, 7:09am
I have heard (and seen) recently of what I would consider a scam by 500pix. A friend contacted me about being sent a message inside 500pix saying someone wanted to buy the rights to his photo and to click to proceed. He did so and found himself on a page about signing up and paying for a premium 500pix service.

Below every photo there is a 'i want to buy this photo' button, which sends an email to the owner when clicked, there is no way to tell who clicked the button. If you enable the image for sale in the 500px store an email is sent to the person who pressed the button. None of this requires a paid account, so i'm not sure how he got to the account upgrade page.

The 500px store isn't very good.

MissionMan
26-05-2013, 9:27am
I'm a fan of smugmug. Used to use Flickr but got frustrated with it.

MrQ
26-05-2013, 10:39am
Is there any reason to have a Pro account now?

Old Skool
26-05-2013, 11:17am
My thoughts exactly - as long as sets and collections are in the free one, I don't mind the adverts.

mechawombat
26-05-2013, 9:13pm
Not sure if I like it yet, but I have a Pro account too. where does one tick the automatic renewal option?

Here Analog

http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#150582914

If you’d like to keep your Pro membership:

Anyone who was Pro at 12:00 am (midnight) GMT on May 20, 2013, may be eligible to sign up for recurring Pro in order to extend their Pro membership beyond its expiration date.
This applies to:
those whose one-time or gift Pro memberships expired after 12:00 am GMT.
those who are on a gifted Pro account.
those who have purchased one-off Pro and are set to expire in the future.
To keep your Pro status by signing up for a recurring Pro subscription, visit the account order page.
If you cancel your recurring subscription or opt for the prorated refund, you will no longer have the option to sign up for a recurring subscription.
If your recurring subscription expires after May 20, 2013, due to a failed payment, please contact the billing team.

Going Downhill
03-06-2013, 10:12am
Pro member on automatic renewal. Not resistant to change or "improvement" but I can't seem to find the hit details on my photos as easily as in the previous version.