PDA

View Full Version : Skill up: a beginner's guide to DSLR photography

Bear Dale
17-05-2013, 5:19pm
Article in todays Sydney Morning Herald -

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/cameras/skill-up-a-beginners-guide-to-dslr-photography-20130516-2jod2.html

Mark L
17-05-2013, 9:23pm
From above link, "To hold your digital SLR like a pro, hold the right side of the camera with your right hand (it usually has a handgrip there for this purpose), and with your left hand, cup the underside of the camera lens."

Is this generally right??

- - - Updated - - -

It then goes on to "Say goodbye to automatic" and says;
"If you don't have the time or inclination to wrap your head around settings like white balance, metering, ISO and aperture, a quick way to adjust a whole bunch of settings at once to suit particular styles of photography is by using one of the scene modes."
Aren't scene modes automatic??

danny
17-05-2013, 9:23pm
had just finished reading that before logging on here.

It certainly does start at the basics - how to hold a camera.

MattNQ
17-05-2013, 10:53pm
They didn't mention how to hold it if you are left-handed:confused013
Never fear, this has been addressed by other experts.....

http://www.whattheduck.net/home?page=0%2C3

arthurking83
19-05-2013, 3:33pm
From above link, "To hold your digital SLR like a pro, hold the right side of the camera with your right hand (it usually has a handgrip there for this purpose), and with your left hand, cup the underside of the camera lens."

Is this generally right??

Generally!

This is how I usually hold the camera, but it also depends on the lens in use.
Depending on the lens used too I guess. I rest the LHS lower corner in the palm of my left hand and use two or more fingers in a V manner to support the lens barrel.

But!

Sometimes I hold the whole shebang up high via the lowest part of the tripod legs and fire it off with a remote trigger :p .. so it really depends on what lens and what purpose you are trying to achieve.

Mark L
19-05-2013, 7:00pm
But!

Sometimes I hold the whole shebang up high via the lowest part of the tripod legs and fire it off with a remote trigger :p ..

Wow, I hadn't thought of doing that. Looks like my photography is about to improve.:D

arthurking83
19-05-2013, 7:21pm
Improve 'ya reckon! :confused013

you're best advised to play carefully with this technique, lest you end up improving the way I did :p