PDA

View Full Version : Hitech V Lee ND Filter system

AnnieP
25-04-2013, 12:10pm
Hi Guys, A friend has invested in the Lee Big stopper and other filters and has produced some amazing landscape shots!

I now have filter envy and am looking to buy one. However, very $$$$.

The Hitech system seems to be very similar and cheaper.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these systems before I do some damage on my plastic!

Thanks

Ann

ricktas
25-04-2013, 1:14pm
You need any filter system that takes 100mm filters, so you can get the Cokin Z-Pro system, and then buy Lee filters to fit it.

I use the Cokin Z holder and a mix of Cokin and Lee filters

hakka
25-04-2013, 2:18pm
The lee filters are better than the hitechs, the hitechs have a fairly strong colour cast.

Wayne
25-04-2013, 2:20pm
Lee = expensive, but buy once buy right.

AdamR
29-04-2013, 8:55am
Ive always been happy with my Hoya ND100

Rattus79
29-04-2013, 9:17am
I know a couple of landscape togs that have gotten hi-tech filters, and have reported a magenta cast, but never once for Lee filters.

That said, some of AP's better photographers use Cokin filters exclusively. (William and myself included in that list)

Colour casting isn't really that much of an issue with todays software. It's really quite a simple process to remove a cast.

ricktas
29-04-2013, 12:07pm
I know a couple of landscape togs that have gotten hi-tech filters, and have reported a magenta cast, but never once for Lee filters.

That said, some of AP's better photographers use Cokin filters exclusively. (William and myself included in that list)

Colour casting isn't really that much of an issue with todays software. It's really quite a simple process to remove a cast.

A bit of investigation some time back by AP members had us thinking the colour cast is a white balance issue rather than an actual problem with the filters. The colour cast did not exist all the time, and if it was the filters, it should. What we ended up surmising was that under certain light conditions the camera made a mistake in choosing the WB setting, which resulted in a colour cast. We also found that Canon cameras tended to me more prone to it. So yes, the colour cast could be instigated by something about the filter manufacturing process, but it was only an issue under a set series of conditions that all had to align to result in the magenta cast that is sometimes seen. We believe it is a combination of filter, light conditions and camera white balance calculation methods.

Rattus79
29-04-2013, 4:07pm
A bit of investigation some time back by AP members had us thinking the colour cast is a white balance issue rather than an actual problem with the filters. The colour cast did not exist all the time, and if it was the filters, it should. What we ended up surmising was that under certain light conditions the camera made a mistake in choosing the WB setting, which resulted in a colour cast. We also found that Canon cameras tended to me more prone to it. So yes, the colour cast could be instigated by something about the filter manufacturing process, but it was only an issue under a set series of conditions that all had to align to result in the magenta cast that is sometimes seen. We believe it is a combination of filter, light conditions and camera white balance calculation methods.

Interesting.

I never really thought about it like that. Personally, I only use 1 whitebalance setting - Daylight. Any changes to that I do in post. (unless I'm shooting in a theater for the duration of a show)

I've found that my Cokins' don't cast so badly if I don't stack them. These days I only use the ND8 grad and/or Singh-ray Vari-ND

The Vari ND will throw a magenta cast with the cokin ND8

dt86vyss
29-04-2013, 4:25pm
Lee are about 5 times the price as apposed to the Hitech. Having said that, you do in some way have to expect the Lee to outweigh the image quality of the Hitech

As mentioned above, "Buy once. buy right" probably a good policy to stand by in this instance.

Are you looking at buying online or from an Aussie retail store?

Eitherway, i'm sure you will get to the right decision. Hopefully for the right price that suits your needs.